The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2000, 09:11 AM   #1
Sling Shot

I just bought my son a new 870 for Xmas. We have not gotten it yet because of the FBI computers are log jammed. We have been waiting almost three days for it. What is the deal with the keyed safety? Can the keyed safety models be outfitted with the older style safety? Is the keyed safety better than the old style safety. Sling Shot
Old December 26, 2000, 09:23 AM   #2
cuerno de chivo

a keyed safety is NEVER better. no matter what the gun rags or manufacturers say. it is removable. rem is supposed to start putting them on model 700 rifles too.
Old December 26, 2000, 03:14 PM   #3
ajacobs

they suck, there is reports that they can lock on accedent with out the key if they get cought up on something. It is wasy to change just order a factory one from http://www.brownells.com or a scattergun tech jumbo one from them. You just pull out the trigger mech and puch out one pin to change them. You may want some of the wife's nail polish or some model paint becuase they will not come with the red ring painted on.
Old December 31, 2000, 05:55 PM   #4
Chang

What's the deal with the keyed safety?

They suck. I've locked it with a not so special key. My finger. It didn't take a whole lot of effort either.
Old December 31, 2000, 08:00 PM   #5
RBK
Registration in progress

Glad I did not get one [trigger guard]. Picked my 870 up from Wally World layaway just the day after Xmas. A wonderfull shootin machine. No trigger guards or nothin.
It was, really amusing to follow the manager out of the store carrying my new gun only to hand it to me just outside of the doors! At that moment, I was no longer a suspect for some reason or another.

Bainx
Old December 31, 2000, 08:03 PM   #6
RBK
Registration in progress

That is to say "Trigger Locks....."

In my last post, I said "no trigger guards..." what I meant to say is "trigger locks....". Hmmm..... been a long year.
Old December 31, 2000, 09:38 PM   #7
Fatcat

No trigger guard?

Personally, the keyed safety on my 870 doesn't worry me all that much.. mostly, because I keep it in Condition 3, so the safety is off anyhow. As far as I know, the keyed part can't lock while the safety is off.

But, I'm certainly going to replace it when I get the time.
Old January 2, 2001, 08:45 PM   #8
old hawk

fatcat i hate to inform you of this as i own a new 870 too.
take the thumb and forefinger and pinch safety and twist, it locks with no key. on one hunt this fall for partridge i was standing a bit.a bird flushed out and i grabbed my 870 hoisted it up and it was locked when i pulled the trigger.evidently i had grabbed it by the reciever engaging it in the process of pushing the safety off. the remington girl on the 1 800 # had no clue altho im sure she did after i ran the gamut on her today on the twist on lock up your stuck feature.so if you call them and they say well thats news to us you've got them bold faced .i called them. also on my rem 870 page you can get all the info on changing it to an older saftey style. if ya cant locate one let me know as a dealer up here in norway maine assures me he has them and i can turn you on to the number.ill be changing mine in a couple weeks to the older style.i hope my page helps others on the 870.lottsa good stuff to read,when i get my old puter' up and running i can put on more pics. im on renta puter now so no webcam.im just lucky that mine didnt engage during a bear charge on me this fall is all or i wouldve now been in a pine box period and my better half wouldve had a long lawsuit,needless to say the bear was now dearly departed instead.i fear someday one will happen with this flawed design, after carefull going over theyre is NO MOD that can be done to the p.c. saftey that will stop the twist lock feature,trust me ive tried,deepening the detent notch will only result in one thing, the failure to disengage and unlock with the key,but an old style can be put in instead easily eliminating the risk or loss of life when needed.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2997/870.html