The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2000, 07:11 PM   #1
Goet

Just got my first shotgun. While I have fired several shotugns in the past, this is the first that is aaaalllllll mine! Now I have to learn the ins and outs of them. Is there anywhere on the world wide wait that has decent info? I have to admit know beans about chokes, pellets, etc. other than educated guesses.

I got a Moss. 500. How the hell do I tell what kind of barrel/choke I got from the factory? My guide that came in the factory box is woefully inadequate in the info dept. and has way to many warning signs.
Old December 28, 2000, 08:15 PM   #2
K80Geoff

New Gun

I am assuming you do not have a manual for the gun. I would suggest writing, calling or e mailing Mossberg and obtaining said manual.

Does the barrell have a fixed choke, if so the choke constriction is usually stamped somewhere on the barrel. On 870 barrels the choke marking is usually found near the breech. If it has choke tubes, remove the tube and look on the side of the choke, it will usually be marked. If it is not marked look for notches in the edge of the choke, and refer to the manual. (I am not familiar with mossberg choke tubes but I believe they mark them as Remington does.)

As to shotgun sites, there are several.

www.shotgunreport.com

www.shotgunsports.com

these might be of help.

I would advise you of an easy way to check for full choke, but Dave McC and others would be all over my case.

But if you have a dime....

Geoff Ross

Old December 28, 2000, 08:27 PM   #3
Ledbetter

What does the barrel say (besides BOOM)

Engraved on mine is "Cylinder Bore" (no choke at all). Does yours say that or "improved cylinder" or "modified [or] full choke?" How long is the barrel?

Do you want to go trap shooting for money?

Regards and good luck.

Ledbetter
Old December 29, 2000, 06:58 AM   #4
mjcitra

I just visited the mossberg web site http://www.mossberg.com/
and all the 500 series seemed to come with the 3 interchangeable chokes (improved cylinder, full and modified). They probably come in a little plastic bag and a small wrench. Simply look at the edges of the chokes and these words should be etched on them. As for the length of the barrel its probably 28 if you got the 12 gauge version. Check the model number with the descriptions given on their website.
Old December 29, 2000, 07:06 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, Goet, congrats on getting a pretty decent shotgun.

Second, one of the most important accessories for a shooter is a well broken in library card. Shooting stuff is in the Dewey Decimal system under 799, and there's plenty of books about various aspects of shotgunning.

Third, find a local range and call them. They may have beginner's lessons, as well as a schedule of various events. I highly recommend lessons, and from a qualified teacher. Pop was a deadly wing shot, but he didn't know why he was good, and was unable to pass it on to me. It took me 15 years to get half good, and it could have taken 15 hours, with good instruction. And an instructor will not let bad habits start, half of the battle right there.

Fourth, buy the lightest loads you can find to start off with.Cheap's nice too. Something like a 2 3/4 dram, 1 oz load of 8s will do. This will help you concentrate on form, not kick.

Fifth,good shooting is a combo of good form and good fit. Pattern your shotgun and see where it's hitting for you.

Sixth, check the archives here for threads about patterning, proper shotgun mounting techniques, stock fit, ad infinitum. This is a superb learning resource, thanks to Rich and the staff.
Old December 29, 2000, 09:59 AM   #6
CMOS

Goet,

When DaveMcC talks, people listen...

CMOS
Old December 29, 2000, 11:07 AM   #7
Goet

Hehehe

Thanks guys. Since I already spent my B&N/Borders money on "Pistol" Books, I guess I'm headed for the library.
Old December 29, 2000, 04:48 PM   #8
Chang

Hey guys, I also got my first shotgun not long ago. My dad bought it for me and gave it to me the day after Christmas. I made some mistakes. I accidentally pumped the action when the barrel was taken off. It jammed for a second, but I pushed it back a little bit and it cycled normally after that. I noticed a couple scratches on the action bar release when looking into the receiver. Not sure if I did it or not, but when it jammed briefly, the action bar release felt kind of tight to move.

Did I damage anything? Cycles perfectly still. Action bar release isn't tight no more, its perfect again.

[Edited by Chang on 12-29-2000 at 05:24 PM]
Old December 29, 2000, 09:19 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

CMOS, flattery will get you everything(G)...
Chang, your shotgun is OK, if nothing's bent and it works. I don't recommend doing it over and over,tho.
Old December 30, 2000, 02:13 PM   #10
Cowgunner

actully my Mossy 500 is have extrator problems. the fired shell gets suck in the camber . any ideas what the problem might be?
Old December 30, 2000, 02:20 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No gunsmith, Cowgunner, but try checking the extractor and see if the "hook" is bent, broken or gummed up with grunge. If not, get some professional help...
Old December 31, 2000, 12:09 AM   #12
Hardin

shotgun

pump that's not PERFECTLY reliable? :-) I'd suspect either a rough chamber or bad ammo? Reloads? Cheap foreign made ammo? Does it work ok in other guns? Only have problems with one type of ammo? Cases look roughed up or smoky after firing? Only way to tell choke is to testfire. Use metal plate, spray paint it after each shot, 40 yds, 30" circle, count the pellet hits,and comput the % of the total in the shell. Shooter's Bible and the various ammo makers have data on how many pellets per oz of a given pellet size. I forget the % breakdowns per type of choke, but it is something like 70% in the 30" circle= full choke, 60%=modifiied, 50%=improved, and 40% and less= no choke at all.
Old December 31, 2000, 12:48 AM   #13
Quantum Singularity

Quote:
actully my Mossy 500 is have extrator problems. the fired shell gets suck in the camber . any ideas what the problem might be?
I HAD 2 Mossy 500s in the past. Notice the "had". Both were unreliable junk. Same exact problems as you describe. The shells stuck in the chamber during extraction. The only way it fed reliably is if it was held perfectly horizontly. If held upwards, it would not feed at all period. I will never buy a Mossy again.

MOLON LABE!
Old January 1, 2001, 06:02 AM   #14
TCW

I'm with you Quantum. Mine would not feed reliably and the action would occasionaly freeze after firing...unaceptable for a HD gun! I got rid of it and got a used 870 wingmaster in excellent condition for $200. Live and learn.

That's my experience, but many do like Mossberg.
Old January 1, 2001, 11:38 AM   #15
Cowgunner

i suspect it's the chamber. i guess i'll see about cleaning the chamber with a brush