The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2000, 10:48 AM   #1
AC's & 45's

I have recently been a little vocal about the cheap apearances of the 870 Express. Cheap looking or not I beleive I will own one soon. The Wingmasters are just too damn expensive. This will an all around use shotgun,bunny huntin,home intruder repellant, and for casual clays shooting. It was a fairly tough decision for me to overcome the ugly factor.

I have never used a synthetic stocked shotgun. Is the recoil more noticable with the syntetic vs. the wood?

Is the "Tiny" brass? bead easily replacable with a more visible one?

What is the best method to make this guns finish most weather resistant?
It just looks to me like that matted finish on the Express would want to hold moisture.

My Dad used gun wax for years on his old Wingmaster. What if any are the differences between the new wingmaster and the express versions, besides the obvious.

I keep seeing dimpled mag tube coming up. What ??

Is the new keyed safety easily replaceable with the old style? If so where can I obtain one?
Old December 26, 2000, 12:02 PM   #2
Intel6

<The Wingmasters are just too damn expensive.>

That is why they look cheaper, they don't spend all that time ploishing out the machining marks to give it a high polish blue. Hence the cost difference.

<I have never used a synthetic stocked shotgun. Is the recoil more noticable with the syntetic vs. the wood?>

I don't think so but since wood proabably adds a little weight it might make a difference?

<Is the "Tiny" brass? bead easily replacable with a more visible one?>

Most beads are threaded or pressed into the rib. Depending on the type of sight you are looking at, it may be "easy."

<What is the best method to make this guns finish most weather resistant? It just looks to me like that matted finish on the Express would want to hold moisture.>

You are right about the finish. I found out that while it will retain water it will also retain oil. If you have oil in the pores of the finish, water can't get in there. It is also good because it doesn't wipe off as easy as with a shiny blued finish.

<I keep seeing dimpled mag tube coming up. What ??>

The mag tube has dimples towards the end of the tube near the cap. They are dimpled into the tube and are a way of limiting mag capacity. The spring can pass but ammo won't. If you put on a mag extension, you have to drill out the dimples or you won't be able to load the higher round count.
Old December 26, 2000, 12:30 PM   #3
tyro

>>"Is the "Tiny" brass? bead easily replacable with a more visible one?"<<

Ashley Outdoors makes highly visible front sights which can be attached to the Remington bead. See link below:

http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com/ecom/index.html

Old December 26, 2000, 01:27 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Brass Bead

The bead is really a screw that can be removed without too much trouble. Brownells and others sell replacement front sights. You can get everything from an ivory bead to light pipe type sights.

The dimples are there to hold the spring keeper in the tube. If you want to add an extended mag the dimples will have to go.

There are variety of different black plastic stocks available. If they are too light it is an easy fix to add some weight to the stock. Several supply houses sell mercury recoil reducers that fit in the stock and add weight as well as reduce recoil.

Geoff Ross

Old December 26, 2000, 08:20 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

About that bead....

There's plenty of after market subs, but I find I shoot flying stuff better with a little bead vs a bigger one. A bigger one will lower the pattern a trifle,too.I shoot a little better with less distraction as I focus on what I want to hit,and the small bead does that. Others differ....

There's plenty of choices here, and finding out what works for you is easy. I'd try a small but more visible bead if you've problems seeing yours in its use environment. Considering you're looking for a "Do Everything" shotgun,IMO, try the standard bead for now and see how it hits for you.
Old December 27, 2000, 09:03 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, missed the thing about the keyed safety first glance. Brownell's, Scattergun Technologies and probably others sell old style or big head safeties, metal mag followers,and other quality items.

Since the esthetics of your shotgun are important to you, why not get a used Wingmaster? Price will not be dissimiliar to the Express, and you'll get that shiny finish,prettier wood, etc. And there's lots of used ones out there, and Remington needs to get a message about plastic parts, the bottom line and political correctness anyway...

Or,build your own.Tim Allen would call me "Tool Challenged" but I've managed to put together two of mine,and may do it again. Few real smithing skills are needed, mostly it's swapping parts.And you could save enough money to take the Spouse out to dinner, buy some ammo, or otherwise invest it wisely...
Old December 27, 2000, 04:48 PM   #7
AC's & 45's

Dimples and extended mags

If I remove the dimples in the mag tube to install amn extended mag is it permanent?
Can the original configuration be assembled without the dimples?
I want to use this 870 for hunting and home defense.
Old December 27, 2000, 07:31 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, the dimple removal will not affect function. One has to cram the spring back in, but it's a simple, albeit sometimes frustrating process.
Old December 27, 2000, 11:12 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Betcha those hydraulic dent removers sold by Brownells will remove the dimples. (Snicker) A good auto-body man should be able to do it too!

The basic difference between the Express and the Wingmaster is the finish. Remington produced the Express to prove that they could make a steel receiver shotgun which would be price competitive with the Mossberg 500. They did and should be applauded.
Old December 28, 2000, 01:13 PM   #10
HukeOKC

No!! They should burn in hell for their too PC safety lock!!! Not going into this one again but I just had to add my $0.02.
Old December 28, 2000, 03:10 PM   #11
old hawk

see my page for more info on the 870.havent been able to put on more pics as other pooters dead, on a renta pooter with now webcam and usb ports so...
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2997/870.html
Old December 29, 2000, 04:18 PM   #12
jthuang

Yah, you can get rid of the dimples with a Dremel tool or a regular drill.

Speaking of finishes on guns, I was at a gunshow a few weeks ago and got my first "in person" peek at a really old Colt Python. Now THAT is one sweet finish!

Justin