The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2000, 08:10 PM   #1
AC's & 45's

The wife just gave me the go head to get a new shotgun.
Damn, I like to fell over dead from the shock.

Here is my problem. I only have experience with an old 27yrs+ 870 wingmaster. I have been told that the Mossbergs design is a little more reliable.

Any truth to this?
Is the higher price on the base 870 justified.

This scattergun will be used mostly for bagging bunnies.

I also plan to convert it for home defense purposes in the off season. Thanks !

Sorry guys! I reckon I would have gotten some answers if I would have just looked farther down on the postings.
Good Day !!!!!!!

[Edited by AC's & 45's on 12-23-2000 at 08:55 PM]
Old December 24, 2000, 12:01 PM   #2
K80Geoff

Opinions

This is the wrong place to ask about the old Mossberg VS Remington debate. Lots of opinions.

IMHO the 870 is the superior design. But the Mossy people will have a hissy fit and tell you otherwise.

As far as reliability, the 870 is the most reliable Pump on the market.

Geoff Ross

Old December 24, 2000, 12:52 PM   #3
Vern Brink

I like the 870 so that tells you where I'm coming from.
The only feature I like on the Mossberg is the tang mounted safety. I shoot a long gun left handed and had my 870P converted to left hand.

Lots of aftermarket for both, but I think the 870 is a better built gun. Worth the price of entry.

Old December 24, 2000, 12:54 PM   #4
Hard Ball

They Are both Good Guns, But?

I f you are going to use it for Home defence, go for the Remington 870
Old December 24, 2000, 01:22 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm an unabashed 870 user. There's a plethora of old threads here about why, but the short answer is....

I've used them heavily, both professionally and personally, sicne the 50s, w/o a glitch. My HD shotgun is an 870, my deer gun is an 870,and my bird and clays gun is an 870. Got an 870 20 ga for the kids also.

Like that little pink drum beatin' bunny, they just keep going and going and going....
Old December 25, 2000, 10:50 AM   #6
JNewell

If you already own an 870 and are happy with it, there is a lot to be said for staying with another. Otherwise, you may find that you do the wrong thing at the wrong time -- for example, go for a safety that isn't there on that shotgun. This is much more likely than most people think when the bird (or the balloon) goes up.

I am also going to say that Mossberg 500, or at least the one I owned, was not as reliable or as durable as the 870. It's a fine gun, but not the equal of the 870. Perhaps the 590s are better -- haven't owned one.
Old December 25, 2000, 09:28 PM   #7
Dead

I like both Mossberg's, and 870's

Mossbergs cost less, and can keep going and going and going, only had 2 problems with a Mossberg 500a, broke the bolt that holds the Stock on once (dont ask), and broke the trigger group another time (still fired, it did however sound weird like it had loose parts). Mossbergs warranty is good, they fixed it free of charge both times.

My grandfather has ummmm ALOT of 870's in every possible config, gauge available. (Well just maybe)
Old December 26, 2000, 08:13 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You mentioned experience with an old Wingmaster, one of the most reliable firearms ever made, AC. Were there any problems?

The big problem I've seen with older 870s is lack of detailed cleaning, but that takes decades usually to build to the point where glitches occur...
Old December 26, 2000, 09:12 AM   #9
JJCook

K80Geoff....It's ok. I own a Mossberg 500, and I still like the 870's much better. More reliable, heavy duty....something to pass on to my son, like my dad did.

Semper Fi-
JJC