The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2000, 11:27 PM   #1
IanS

I had my Remington 870 barrel cut down to 18 1/2" and had the dimples in the mag tube removed. I wanted to add a Remington tube extension but my local gunsmith wouldn't do it. They are paranoid about lawsuits. Can I add the tube extension and not worry about getting in trouble with the law? Or is my gunsmith paranoid? I do live in California.
Old December 19, 2000, 06:19 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Obtain an aftermarket extension. Remove the mag cap and the old spring,retaining the follower.Install the new spring,and screw the extension on tightly by hand, then channelock it ONE click. Install the bbl clamp and test fire.

See how easy that was?

As for legality, I know of no laws anywhere in the US that limit mag capacity(under 10 rounds) on pumps.

"An unjust law does not command obedience"-Kung Fu Tze....
Old December 19, 2000, 10:11 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Took mine off. Don't leave it loaded at full capcity if you do install one. Remington warns that it wears out the spring if you do.
Old December 20, 2000, 07:41 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gary, I've kept a loaded mag for decades w/o a problem, IMO Remington is playing it safe.

I do keep mine one round under cap.
Old December 20, 2000, 01:05 PM   #5
ajacobs

While I have had no problem leaving mine loaded to full cap for years, you could eleviate some worry by getting an extra power spring from wolff.
Old December 20, 2000, 02:02 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks Dave

You're probably right.
Old December 20, 2000, 03:54 PM   #7
btm

How about this modification/

DAVE IS RIGHT DON'T WORRY ABOUT LEAVING MAG. LOADED. AFTER YEARS THE MAG. SPRING WILL COME OUT ALITTLE SHORTER BUT WILL STILL HAVE ENOUGH TENSION TO OPERATE PROPERLY. A KILLER OF SPRING TENSION IS RUST, SO DO ROUTINE MAINTENANCE. THE BEST WAY TO INSTALL A EXT. MAG. IS TO SCREW ON THE REPLACEMENT COLLAR FIRST(TIGHT), THEN SPRING AND LAST THE MAG EXT. TUBE SCREWED HAND TIGHT INTO COLLAR.
IF YOU DON'T DO IT THIS WAY IT IS POSSIBLE TO ROLL METAL EDGE OF MAG. TUBE AND COULD CAUSE UNRELIABLE FEEDING PROBLEM.
IT'S NOT AGAINST ANY LAWS THAT I KNOW OF.
BTM
Old December 24, 2000, 02:10 PM   #8
256M-S

You folks who keep your extended mag tubes fully loaded are infinitely more trusting than I of inexpensive springs or you surely live in a more high threat environment.

I have two Benelli M-S90's: when in the home or my office, I prefer to keep two or three rounds max in the magazines and full side saddles (plus a bandoleer or claymore bag of rounds). If I'm deployed and when the gun is in the OpCenter, I do the same though keep one of those misbegotten slings with the shell loops with enough rounds in the shell loops to fill the magazine before moving out with it. (Don't ever carry the piece with shells in the sling and figger on mounting the weapon rapidly! It is to me, though, a nice rig to keep a full load ready to hand without mucking with spare reload in the side saddle.)

Just one technique, but it works for me and I don't worry about spring taking a set or rounds being deformed. 'Course, I also swap autoloading pistol magazines regularly and only own one pistol that doesn't have a minimum of 12 magazines--and I've heard all the stories about why springs don't take a set and about that old WW II 1911 fully loaded in a closet since VJ day that still worked immaculately after 50 years of compression.