The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Harry Bonar

Good Ruger experience

Sirs;
Sometime ago I sent in a Ruger Tropical rifle in 375H&H for barrel work. I recieved a phone call and letter telling me that they couldn't get the barrel out of my rifle, and, that some damage to the action trying rendered the rifle unrepairable. So, they, in the letter told me that I could have, free of charge, any gun they made because of this!
So, I ordered a Ruger M77, Mk.II magnum in 375 H&H! I have since recieved it and it is a very fine magnum reciever rifle!
I think Ruger deserves a vote of confidence from us concerning their reliability and quality.
I own several Rugers and in the distant past recieved a hand signed letter from Mr Ruger himself. I've had several contacts from Ruger - all very positive.
Harry B.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:44 AM   #2
KRP

awsome response! Guess we know what brand of rifle you'll buy next.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Suwannee Tim

I have had a lot of Rugers over the years and have had too many problems, most of which were not repaired to my satisfaction. One in particular, an M77-22 was inaccurate, I sent it back, they returned it and I could not see any difference. I called and could not get any information other than "Send it back.", the woman was impatient to the point of rudeness. I sent a letter to Steven Sanetti, I do have to admit it was sarcastic, I never got a response. I have never had an exchange with Ruger I would characterize as positive, the best being neutral. At this point I will not buy a Ruger if there is any good alternative, this being revolvers. At one time I was a real fan of Ruger and most of my guns were Rugers.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
I think Ruger deserves a vote of confidence from us concerning their reliability and quality.
Wait a sec - you have to send a barrel back for some work and they screw it up, so bad your gun is unrepairable, so they offer you something to replace that gun and that is your understanding of quality and reliability?

Guess I miss the point of that...............
Old February 12, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
pbratton

So, you have no concept of Customer Service?

This is a fine example of a Company stepping up and taking blame for their actions and offering a solution upfront.

Good Job Ruger!
Old February 12, 2010, 09:50 PM   #6
DnPRK

Ruger replaced an $900 Tropical with a $1700 M77 MkII. Not bad.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Fishslayer

Quote:
Ruger replaced an $900 Tropical with a $1700 M77 MkII. Not bad.
Sounds OK to me barring any collector or sentimental value. Kinda wondering how the factory "couldn't get the barrel off?"
Old February 21, 2010, 09:48 AM   #8
P97

I've had Rugers since the 50's and my Experience with Ruger has been excellent. Last thing I sent them was a Single-Six .22 Revolver that I bought years ago and my Son, and now my Grandson, has shot 1000's of rounds through it. It finally wore to where the cylinder would lock up, so I sent it to them to fix. They rebuild it where it works like it did when new, and all it cost was shipping it to them. Another thing, their Customer Service in not located in India, or some other foreign country.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:07 PM   #9
GunsAreGood

I would be happy with the outcome as long as there was no strong sentimental value to the gun. I would have been very happy and impressed with that customer service.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old February 23, 2010, 10:20 AM   #10
arkieron

Tougher than me

Harry must be pretty tough just shooting a .375 mag. I shot a borrowed one over 45 years ago and still remember it well. The second shot gave me a black eye. Valuable lesson on eye relief. Ruger has great products for sure.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:21 PM   #11
riverwalker76

Ruger has always been an excellent company as far as I'm concerned.
Old February 24, 2010, 11:51 PM   #12
lemming303

I own 6 Rugers and absolutely love every one of them! Especially my 77/17! I've shot a few thousand rounds through it and it is still sub-moa with Federal ammo. I can't even tell you how many animals I've killed with it either!