The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 24, 2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Nwilliams184

Online AR purchase

So I'm looking to pick up my first AR. I have my eyes set on M&P Sport II for the price and customizing a few things later on. My LGS has them for $700 but I'm seeing them online for as low as $500. Could I order online and have them shipped to my LGS even though they have the exact rifle I'd be ordering?
Thanks
Old August 24, 2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Inazone

Each LGS is different. Sure, they absolutely have customers ship a gun there for the FFL transfer when the same model is hanging on the wall for sale. The question is, will they charge you more for the transfer? Give you the ol' stink-eye every time you come in? It all depends on who you're dealing with.

The LGS nearest me charges $20 for a transfer, and I've had a couple of AR lowers shipped to them that I bought online. The shop didn't offer anything comparable to what I'd ordered, and if they did, the cost would have been higher than the online price, even taking shipping and transfer fee into account. They have also done a couple of free transfers for me on guns I ordered online. But, on the other hand, I've heard of a couple shops in the area charging more for the transfer if they sell the same gun.
Old August 24, 2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Nwilliams184

Ok thanks. I just did a local search and found a few more places. So after the initial cost of the rifle, tax, shipping and transfer fee, are there any other fees?

Also, could you recommend any online retailers or any to stay away from?

Thanks
Old August 24, 2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Inazone

Sales tax will depend on where (state) you order from. In some cases, the only tax you pay might be on the transfer fee. So yeah, the price of the gun itself, shipping, transfer fee and *maybe* sales tax.

Cheaper Than Dirt is one to avoid, and (in my experience) Botach Tactical, both due to their behavior following the Sandy Hook shooting. Everyone else I've dealt with (Palmetto State Armory, Brownells, CDNN, etc.) have been just fine.
Old August 24, 2017, 05:31 PM   #5
FITASC

Since you're in Iowa, Brownell's would most likely be charging you a sales tax since they are in Iowa as well, same for any other company that has an instate retail presence (like Cabela's or similar). Where I am, there are several guys who operate out of their homes doing transfers for those of us who buy online. Fee is typically about $20- $25 for their time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2017, 06:09 PM   #6
O4L

I have found the Sport II as low as $430 online recently.
Old August 24, 2017, 07:25 PM   #7
Nwilliams184

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4L View Post
I have found the Sport II as low as $430 online recently.
Do you remember where?!
Old August 24, 2017, 08:16 PM   #8
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwilliams184 View Post
Do you remember where?!
http://www.combatarmory.com/smith-an...free-shipping/

Other deals...

https://gun.deals/category/rifles?ca...11&mobile=true
Old August 25, 2017, 12:28 AM   #9
weblance

Quote:
Also, could you recommend any online retailers
BudsGunShop.com
KyGunCo.com
KeelyArms.com
sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com
centerfireguns.com
grabagun.com
Old August 25, 2017, 01:36 AM   #10
marine6680

I knew of the shady nature of CTD... Never heard anything about Botach, what they do?
Old August 25, 2017, 01:56 AM   #11
Chainsaw.

ASK FIRST. As in the LGS, I delt with one shop owner whos attitude was "If I sell the gun you order you'll pay my price to get it". Obviously he didnt get a dime of my money (thats the OTHER side of capitalism) but Im glad I asked so I didnt have to pay to get my gun out via hos extortion.
Old August 25, 2017, 08:25 AM   #12
O4L

There is one place here that calls their store a gunshop but it's really just a rip off joint.

They do transfers for $20 on online purchases, but if you don't give them the chance to sell you the gun first, they charge $50 for the transfer.

Their prices are crazy high so there is no way they can compete with most online shops.

I rarely buy new guns, but when I do I use a gun shop about half an hour away that does transfers for $10 and no BS.

Last edited by O4L; August 25, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old August 25, 2017, 12:04 PM   #13
hdwhit

Quote:
Nwilliams184 wrote:
Could I order online and have them shipped to my LGS even though they have the exact rifle I'd be ordering?
First realize that it costs more to run a brick and mortar store than a website, so the LGS is going to be higher. But if you join the rest of the world in chasing the lowest price (even though after paying for shipping and transfer fees, the difference may not be all that much), the LGS may not be around the next time you want them to transfer an on-line purchase. And, yes, I do pay the higher price at my LGS so that they will continue to be there when I need them.

Second, given that on-line sellers have the same gun for less, try negotiating with the LGS. They won't be able to match the $500 price you've seen on-line, but they may come off the $700 price enough that after shipping and transfer fees, it's not that much of a difference.

Third, check for other FFLs in your area that offer transfer services if your LGS won't negotiate. Most of the on-line sellers have established relationships with FFLs who pretty much exist simply to serve as transfer agents and don't run "gun shops" in the conventional sense.
Old August 25, 2017, 04:31 PM   #14
spacemanspiff

See if a local pawn shop would do the transfer for you. In the peak of my gunbuying days I had a pawn shop who did transfers for $10. They have since closed up shop.
Old August 25, 2017, 05:06 PM   #15
Nwilliams184

Awesome, thanks everyone!
Old August 25, 2017, 05:39 PM   #16
DaleA

Let us know how it turns out.
Old August 25, 2017, 06:24 PM   #17
44caliberkid

Since you're in Iowa, are you close enough to drive to Brownells and buy one. You would pay sales tax but oh well. They have good sales, just had some for under 500. You could also get their AR without buttstock or handguard and put Magpul furniture on it.
Also, start calling Walmarts. Ask if they still have guns and if yes, if they have ARs. They have had Bushmasters for 499 and Colts for 600. Also try Theisen's.
Old August 26, 2017, 05:07 PM   #18
Nwilliams184

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Since you're in Iowa, are you close enough to drive to Brownells and buy one. You would pay sales tax but oh well. They have good sales, just had some for under 500. You could also get their AR without buttstock or handguard and put Magpul furniture on it.
Also, start calling Walmarts. Ask if they still have guns and if yes, if they have ARs. They have had Bushmasters for 499 and Colts for 600. Also try Theisen's.
Grinell is only an hour away, I spoke with Brownells today and they are asking $699 at the moment for SW MP Sport II. They have new Ruger AR 556 bought before the election and returned. They are asking $570, anyone have any experience with the 556?
Old August 27, 2017, 10:27 AM   #19
ed308

I knew of the shady nature of CTD... Never heard anything about Botach, what they do?

I can only speak of personal experience. I've tried to order something from them on 2-3 occasions. Each time they didn't ship when they said it would ship. Doubtful they had what was ordered in stock. I ended up cancelling the orders after long waits. From what I've read on the web, that was a common complaint with Botach.

CTD is on my s*** list for different reason. I've always received what I ordered from them. But I don't buy from them after the seeing how they gouged the market in a gun scare years ago. I think they were charging $30 for a box of Federal 5.56 ammo. Prices went up for ammo everywhere. But not that high. I made the decision to take my business somewhere else.

Last edited by ed308; August 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old August 27, 2017, 10:44 AM   #20
O4L

I've never had any problem with Botach.
Old August 28, 2017, 03:35 PM   #21
GLK

I have bought dozens of items from Botach over the years, including a complete 11.5 inch Colt 6933 upper with a KAC quad rail for $599.00(on sale)and two Fuji mountain trail bikes. "Free shipping" no sales tax & never a single issue. I have also bought mounts Aimpoints scopes knives Streamlight and Surefire lights and everything shipped quickly and was as advertised. I too heard of issues in the distant past but they have always been golden for me.
(knock on wood )
Old August 28, 2017, 03:45 PM   #22
GLK

FWIW CNDD has these in stock for $799.@@ of which one is mine
https://www.cdnnsports.com/email-spe...l#.WaR_Aj596os
Old August 28, 2017, 03:47 PM   #23
Nwilliams184

I found an FFL who only charged $25 and placed my order today! Thanks again everyone, I'll be posting with some free float hand guard questions soon..

Last edited by Nwilliams184; August 28, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old August 28, 2017, 04:16 PM   #24
GLK

My LGS has the internet ordering down to a science. They charge 25 including background check and that price is good for up to 5 "guns". You can do it online and when you items arrive they call you and have you fill out the transfer paperwork and 10 minutes or so for the call in. I have another LGS that only charges $15.00 for one including thee call in but charges $10.00 for each additional "gun".