The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2006, 05:29 PM   #1
kbyrd

difference between .22 and .40 cleaning rods?

I was just looking at midway usa, and I see 22 and 40 caliber cleaning rods.Is there a reason I couldn't use my .22 caliber rod with a .40 cal brush? Are they different diameters?
Old February 22, 2006, 05:32 PM   #2
shield20

They will be different diameters. Make sure the attachments which fit the .40 would work in the .22 (diameter of threads) You may need an adapter.
Old February 22, 2006, 05:44 PM   #3
kbyrd

That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably just buy a new rod. That seems lame too have the rod (and the threaded part) be a different diameter, why couldn't everyone just use a rod that fit in a 17 caliber barrel?
Old February 22, 2006, 05:58 PM   #4
Ballenxj

You COULD use the .22 rod for cleaning the .40 as long as the attachments are interchangeable. The rod for large bore will obviously be stronger with less tendancy to flex.
On the subject of cleaning kits, I prefer putting the contents, including rods, of two kits into one. I'll take those chintzy deviders out so everything will fit.
My main reasoning for doing this is that when I clean one of my pistols, I mount the brush on one rod, and the swab on the other. This elminates having to constantly swap tips back and forth for cleaning.
You will imediately appreciate this once you have tried it, and it makes cleaning your gun a more pleasant task.
-Bruce
Old March 13, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5
kbyrd

update

I've got this tipton coated rod. I bought it for a 22, it has 8x32 threads, it fits all the tips I've bought for 22 or 40 caliber.
Old March 14, 2006, 03:18 AM   #6
ZenBudha

I bought a little wooden case cleaning set at Wal-Mart for pretty cheap. It had brushes, swabs, rods, patch holders for just about everything from a .22 to a 12 gauge.

I think it was like $15