The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 23, 2001, 07:40 AM   #1
Hal

My .45 Colt Blackhawk is binding after a dozen rounds

The first 6 rounds are no problem. No problems ejecting the empty cases either. So far I've used my own handloads, CCI Blazer, Black Hills and 3D. My own loads are either Unique or 2400, and it doesn't matter which one I use,(yes, I understand Unique is filthy, but the 2400 loads burn very clean as does the CCI Blazer.)If there's another factory loading for .45Colt that's exceptionaly clean burning, I'm all for giving it a try to see if that's the problem. The cylinder binding gets progressivly worse vs the number of rounds fired, but when I get the gun home and clean it, it works fine the next time out for the first 6 to 18 shots, then starts up again.
I'm not at the end of my rope with it, since it's a seldom fired gun anyhow, and one of the ones I plan on putting up for long term storage. I'd like to get the kinks worked out before I do though.
Old September 23, 2001, 07:49 AM   #2
G3

Try contacting Ruger. They are pretty helpful.
Old September 23, 2001, 08:09 AM   #3
Sample

Do your 2400 loads really burn clean? My 2400 loads never burn all the way - there is always unburned powder remaining which wreaks havok after 20-30 rounds. I've stopped using that powder for this reason.

Be sure that you try scrubbing all of the carbon from the cylinder throats. When you're sure that they're clean, scrub them a few more times.
Old September 23, 2001, 10:57 AM   #4
bad4u

Sounds a lot like my first S&W Model 29. I got delivery in early Winter. Took it to the range (Danvers, MA) and it shot fine - for a little while.

Turned out that the temperature was about 20F, and when I put the gun down to wait for a halt in range firing to change targets, the action was frozen. It was simply very tight action action tolerances.

It sounds like the same problem in your gun, except the action locks up as the weapon warms up due to firing.

I'll bet you can reproduce the problem by a short warm-up in an oven at 100F.
Old September 23, 2001, 11:51 AM   #5
Ed Brunner

I pretty much go along with the dirty powder theory. If it is binding because of a buildup on the rear of the barrel and the face of the cylinder, it could be the powder or the gap could be too small.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old September 23, 2001, 12:19 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Check the barrel-cylinder gap. Most concern about that area is directed at too large a gap, but one too small will cause cylinder binding when the cylinder gets warm and expands. The gap should be just about .006. Anything smaller than .004 can mean trouble. (Auto store feeler gauges work fine, just make sure you can get the right combination to measure gaps that small.)

If that is the case, also check the front of the cylinder to see if it is square, that is whether it is binding in only one place. If it is not square, I would give it to a very competent gunsmith or send it back to the factory. If the cylinder is square, then the barrel end can be down a bit with careful file work, but it would be better to go the gunsmith/factory route, as a mistake in that area can be costly.

Jim
Old September 24, 2001, 11:25 AM   #7
Bill n AK

Greetings
I think im has a handle on that. as the cylender warms up it will expand about .000006 per in. per degree of temp(millwrights rule of thumb), the barrel will expand also, but out from the frame.-Bill