The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 10, 2018, 03:02 PM   #1
pmsmith2032

Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic Modifications

I just bought one of the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic on clearance from Walmart and am interested in possible modifications:

1. The recoil pad just says "Weatherby" on it. I'm assuming it is some generic version and I should put a Pachmayr Decelerator or Limbsaver recoil pad on it? My son will be shooting it some (30-06) so I'm trying to reduce recoil as much as possible.
2. I was thinking of buying the detachable magazine drop-in kit for this rifle. It seems it would be easier and quieter to load the rifle when deer hunting. Does anyone have any experience with this kit?
3. I don't want to buy a new stock right away but I have read there are some accuracy issue with the stocks. Any mods that can be made to improve this?
4. Any other mods you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Old September 10, 2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Striker1

Here's my suggestions:

Recoil Pad - try shooting it first

Detachable Magazine Kit - Don't know how this is easier / more quiet when hunting. Magazines can also fall out.

New Stock - Again, try shooting it first. I would make sure it's properly torqued (and in the right order).

Is your new rifle the "S2" ?
Old September 10, 2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Dufus

The Vanguard/Howa 1500 ain't at all like a Rem 700. No need to change parts as soon as you get it home or before you start shooting it. The three of mine shot purty damn good out of the box.
Old September 12, 2018, 08:40 AM   #4
LineStretcher

The best thing you can do is get the Hogue Fully Bedded Over Molded stock. All three of my Walmart Vanguard stocks were less than what I would consider optimal. One was cracked so I replaced that with a Hogue right away and the difference in fit, finish and feel is huge.

I also ordered the magazine kit from Howa but I haven't received it yet. I suspect the trigger guard is plastic like the Howa and not metal like the Vanguard.

The best fitting rail style scope mount I've found yet is the Night Force. It is made for the Howa 1500/Vanguard specifically and fit perfect without any need for bedding. I use those in conjunction with the Leupold PRW rings.

Make sure you break it in properly. 10 rounds with a cleaning between each round then 30 rounds of 3 shot groups with a cleaning in between each group. Make sure to let the barrel cool. This is a step that a lot of shooters blow off and the reason many complain about the vanguard not shooting sub moa out of the box. Once your break in is complete you can sight in the rifle.

The Vanguard is considered an upgraded version of the 1500. The Rem 700 would need some serious work to catch up with it out of the box. That said, the Rem 700 is easily modified with a lot of after market parts and many gun smiths know it well. Both rifles have screw on barrels and there are already a couple of barrel makers that will make you a barrel with the metric threads found on the Vanguard. Bear in mind that if you decide you want to go to a heavier barrel and turn it into a Tac gun then you will need a stock with an appropriate barrel inlet. McMillan or Boyds should be able to accommodate that change.

Now for the big question.. You got your rifle for 250.00 and if you want to make it into a tack driver it could very well cost you as much a rifle that has greater potential for that out of the box. However, if you pay attention to your upgrade costs and know when you've maxed it out the Vanguard can be a really nice shooter.

Last edited by LineStretcher; September 12, 2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old September 16, 2018, 08:29 AM   #5
rms65

Plus one on the doing the break in procedure. Also the DNZ game reaper mount for that gun works awesome and very economical.