The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 10, 2018, 11:39 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Ruger AR-556 MPR Bipod/Scope

Just obtained this and am looking at getting a scope and bipod. Any suggestions welcomed.

I am looking to use only for range at 50 and 100 yards. Was thinking about getting a red dot but opted for a scope instead. Perhaps will get a different AR eventually for home defense only or get a semi cheap red dot to swap out when AR is not in use. Choices, choices, choices.

I have seen Cabela's own AR scope https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...5.uts?slotId=6

I have this on the Savage 12FV https://www.cabelas.com/product/VORT...7.uts?slotId=1 (4-12x40).

As far as what I am willing to spend, $300. Not sure if there are other scopes under that price that is descent/acceptable or have to look at something a bit better above $300.

For bipod have been contemplating whether if a bipod is a good choice or just stick to shooting rest. I have shot AR with https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Dead...+shooting+rest and have found it to be annoying due to the magazine. Do catch myself having to adjust once in a while.

Thanks in advance for the help.

This is my first AR. Trying to maintain myself from going over board on accessories, lol.
Old September 11, 2018, 01:03 AM   #2
FindANewSlant

Can't go wrong with a Nikon P-223 on any AR.
Old September 11, 2018, 10:12 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

If you're shooting from a bench, stick with bags/rests.

If you're shooting from improvised rests or positions more often than not, then a bipod can be of some utility.
I prefer Harris for general use and light weight.
But several other companies offer decent bipods. One of my favorites for adjustability, even though it comes with the cost of added weight and isn't the highest quality, is a Caldwell 14-30".

...Which brings up a point for which I'd like to offer advice:
MEASURE before buying. KNOW what you need. Don't just guess.
My first Harris bipod turned out to be 2" too short for the intended purpose (sitting), and too tall for the alternate (prone). Big bummer ... because I was too lazy to actually measure before ordering.
Old September 11, 2018, 11:02 AM   #4
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the help. Used on bench only. Will try the bags first, will see how often I have to make adjustments and I did notice when the smaller bag is on top of the main bag, it does shift backwards, due to recoil. That is the annoying part. As you put it FrankenMauser, I improvise with what I have and have to reposition again and again. Otherwise wouldn't mind the bags.

This past weekend I saw a sightmark holographic and they had a magnifier. The person let me see through it and to be honest I liked it. Did see a difference with and without the magnifier which was a sightmark as well. They said the whole set up was around $300. Any opinions on these? Would this be a good alternative to getting a red dot and somewhat convert to a "rifle scope"? Did not ask what the magnification was.