The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 26, 2018, 03:18 PM   #26
stagpanther

BTW--you might notice the white thing on the ground below my labradar unit--that's where I put the battery pack and connection--I've had muzzle blast blow the battery off the unit one time too many times distorting the connector plug.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 26, 2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old August 26, 2018, 04:47 PM   #27
Paul B.

"I love the barnes bullets--but I'd be concerned about the velocity opening range as the bullet gets out there; the whelen looks to me like one you have to know how the bullet will do past 100."

I've taken elk from roughly 100 yards to 350 yards with the 225 gr. TSX from my Whelen.
On that 350 yard shot, the elk sat down like the RCA Victor dog then slumped the rest of the way down DRT. Never had a problem with any of the elk shot with that bullet.
Paul B.
Old August 26, 2018, 04:52 PM   #28
TruthTellers

.35 Whelen- The big game cartridge you can buy in a budget single shot rifle. IDK how the H&R's and CVA's shoot compared to the Hawkeye, but what's nice about them is you don't have to have a lot of money to get into big game hunting.

I'm a bigger fan of the Whelen than I am of the parent case that's so old it doesn't have a name, it's just numbers.
Old August 26, 2018, 04:57 PM   #29
Paul B.

"I found the 35 Whelen round to be an interesting round that filled a niche in 1925. But it doesn't do anything better than a 30-06 firing 200's only 50-75 fps slower. In fact the 200's from a 30-06 will pass it in energy within 100 yards and out penetrate at any range. If you want to surpass 30-06 performance with the 35 you need to shoot 250 gr or heavier bullets. Even then the difference is small."

I'm not quite sure I agree with that. I push a 225 gr. TSX at 2710 FPS which in theory is what a 180 gr. bullet from the 30-06 is supposed to do. (They don't) I get the same trajectory that the 06's 180 gr. bullet is supposed to do with a bullet 45 grains heavier. As far as penetration, I've not recovered one yet, not ever from the one shot at 350 yards. I've had one hit just behind the short ribs one the left side and exit between the right shoulder and the neck at 150 yards. Internal damage on both elk was massive.
Paul B.
Old August 26, 2018, 05:16 PM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
"I love the barnes bullets--but I'd be concerned about the velocity opening range as the bullet gets out there; the whelen looks to me like one you have to know how the bullet will do past 100."

I've taken elk from roughly 100 yards to 350 yards with the 225 gr. TSX from my Whelen.
On that 350 yard shot, the elk sat down like the RCA Victor dog then slumped the rest of the way down DRT. Never had a problem with any of the elk shot with that bullet.
Paul B.
Good to hear from real world experience.
Old August 26, 2018, 08:02 PM   #31
Doyle

Quote:
But it doesn't do anything better than a 30-06 firing 200's only 50-75 fps slower.
Except that a 30-06 isn't usable during Mississippi's funky "primitive weapons" season while a single-shot .35 Whelen is. When they changed the law here, you couldn't give away a muzzleloader and everyone bought Whelen Encores and Handi-rifles.
Old August 27, 2018, 04:23 AM   #32
std7mag

Stag,
With those velocities, group size, and especially 13ES/8(?)DS, i think you found your load.

I've never had any issues removing the action screws from a Ruger. Wolfe springs help ALOT on the trigger. But when i take mine apart again, i'm upgrading to an aftermarket.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 27, 2018, 04:35 AM   #33
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag,
With those velocities, group size, and especially 13ES/8(?)DS, i think you found your load.
Yup--that's why I said the heck with it and didn't bother with the hotter loads which probably would have got me up into the 2700 fps range. Those energy numbers are pretty impressive too.
Old August 27, 2018, 04:49 AM   #34
stagpanther

I did slip some sandpaper in between the barrel and the stock--mostly a bunch of "accumulated mystery goo" came out. Did that help with the accuracy? Maybe, maybe not--who knows.

I did some more pull tests and the trigger seems to settle in at around 5 lbs break most of the time. My standard for a "decked out with winter gear, gloves and assorted junk hanging from trees woods hunter" is 4.5 lbs--so I may not bother with a new trigger.

I once had the metal in the hex head of a savage action bolt give way under pressure and strip to uselessness--drilling and getting that out was quite the operation. That's why I'm leery of these things when they are torqued down under very high pressure. The front bolt holding the trigger guard down on my Hawkeye was also VERY tight--but I did get it to come loose.
Old August 27, 2018, 10:19 AM   #35
RC20

Quote:
I was also starting to get a bit of a "concussion headache" so I was glad to knock off on a good note.
Yep, that are why she air a hunting gun.

You can get some impressive accuracy but ?????? You got your load and now its 3 to check accuracy each year, and one for your game. Clean it and repeat.

I never shot the 7mm for fun either, worked labor in my younger years and 20 rounds with it was more than enough for me.
Old August 27, 2018, 11:25 AM   #36
stagpanther

amen.
Old August 27, 2018, 03:54 PM   #37
Colorado Redneck

Torque specs for Ruger 77 mkii

The angled screw should be torqued to x number of INCH POUNDS. I use 75 in. Lbs. for my Ruger Hawkeye Predator. You can google the conversion from inch pounds to foot pounds and use a regular torque wrench.
Old August 27, 2018, 03:57 PM   #38
stagpanther

Yup--my bad--sorry bout that. As long as the bolt itself is good hardened steel I should be OK.
Old September 24, 2018, 07:46 PM   #39
gw44

At one time there was a lot of hunters in deer camp that carried 35 Whelens, not to many any more, it is a great caliber !!
Old September 24, 2018, 09:30 PM   #40
FrankenMauser

So... I finally got around to putting a Timney trigger in the aforementioned 77 Mk II in 7x57mm.
Removing that front action screw had me more worried than I ever have been with any rifle that wasn't already a beater, or something that came to be as a basket case.
It was not moving.

I was right on the edge of the maximum amount of torque I was willing to apply to that screw, when something finally snapped.
I wiggled the screwdriver a bit, to see if the head had sheared. No.
So, I went back to attempting to remove it.
It was stiff, and felt cross-threaded, but was coming out.

End result: Someone had dipped the entire threaded portion of the screw in red loctite.

Separate note:
This idiot ordered a left-handed version of the Timney trigger, for a right-handed rifle, and didn't realize the mistake until the package was open and the sear was already installed.
I made it work, but had to remove the over-travel stop to do it.
Old September 24, 2018, 10:36 PM   #41
stagpanther

Quote:
So... I finally got around to putting a Timney trigger in the aforementioned 77 Mk II in 7x57mm.
Removing that front action screw had me more worried than I ever have been with any rifle that wasn't already a beater, or something that came to be as a basket case.
It was not moving.

I was right on the edge of the maximum amount of torque I was willing to apply to that screw, when something finally snapped.
I wiggled the screwdriver a bit, to see if the head had sheared. No.
So, I went back to attempting to remove it.
It was stiff, and felt cross-threaded, but was coming out.

End result: Someone had dipped the entire threaded portion of the screw in red loctite.
Now I'm more scared than ever!
Old September 27, 2018, 09:45 AM   #42
the possum

Quote:
anyone removed the action from a Hawkeye have any advice on best way to remove the main angled bolt? I'm really worried about stripping the bolt head.
They make cordless screwdrivers/bit drivers or whatever you call 'em, that are also impact drivers. Just like an impact wrench on a smaller scale. I have not tried it yet, but my brother the bike mechanic swears you can remove any screw or bolt with one, without worry of stripping or breaking it. It sounded like a fantastic idea to me.
Old September 27, 2018, 03:18 PM   #43
Paul B.

"I found the 35 Whelen round to be an interesting round that filled a niche in 1925. But it doesn't do anything better than a 30-06 firing 200's only 50-75 fps slower. In fact the 200's from a 30-06 will pass it in energy within 100 yards and out penetrate at any range. If you want to surpass 30-06 performance with the 35 you need to shoot 250 gr or heavier bullets. Even then the difference is small."

Forget the 250 gr. bullets. I've shot elk with my .35 Whelen at ranges from 75 yards to 350 yards and every one was down and out. Those still alive when we reached them were totally unable to even try and get up and run off. It plain works. I'm half tempted to say, "If you haven't tried it, don't knock it." Oh, and that 350 yard shot was a drop right there deader than a doornail. Seems to me the .35 Whelen works just fine.
Paul B.
Old September 28, 2018, 11:29 AM   #44
old roper

One of my elk rifles is 35 WhelenAI and been using 225gr AB and has Kreiger barrel 1/14 twist barrel. Gunsmith that done work is local here in Co and he's does few each year AI or standard so still some interest.
NRA Life Member
Old September 28, 2018, 02:53 PM   #45
black mamba

My Whelen is also an AI, which doesn't mean much in velocity (about 75 fps), but makes case trimming a lot less frequent. I get an honest 2620 at the muzzle with the 250 Partition, and don't need anything else, as it's a real killer and flat enough to 300 yds.

I took it to the Big Island of Hawaii a couple years back and took a nice Mouflon/Black Hawaiian cross at 9,000 ft. on Mauna Loa, plus a record book goat within sight of the ocean at about 1,500 ft. on the foothills of Mauna Kea.

Old September 28, 2018, 03:05 PM   #46
stagpanther

I agree--it's a heck of a cartridge.
Old September 29, 2018, 05:31 PM   #47
stagpanther

Quote:
They make cordless screwdrivers/bit drivers or whatever you call 'em, that are also impact drivers. Just like an impact wrench on a smaller scale. I have not tried it yet, but my brother the bike mechanic swears you can remove any screw or bolt with one, without worry of stripping or breaking it. It sounded like a fantastic idea to me.
Thanks for that--sounds like a possibility though I don't recall hearing gunsmiths use it.