The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 29, 2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Jacket67

Which vortex for my 16" AR15?

Hey TFL,

I am not trying to create another red dot vs variable scope debate with this post. Rather, I am seeking advice on some vortex scopes I am looking into.

I like the 1-6x strike eagle, but as of right now it's a little out of my price range (college student budget). I recently discovered vortex's crossfire ii 2-7x scope with their dead hold bdc reticle. I like that it goes up to 7x (though I realize that's not exactly a mind-blowing feature over 6x), and that I can get one for roughly 1/3 of a strike eagle with money to spare on a good mount. It also has a larger lens allowing for more light to be drawn in. However, it is not illuminated and obviously does not dial down to a 1x which can be used like a red dot, which the strike eagle allows for.

My question is, is the strike eagle in 1-6x with the illuminated reticle worth 3 times the cost of the crossfire I am looking at? I know there is a crossfire ii in 1-4x, but I do not like the v-brite reticle because it does not have drop reticles for distance shots and the illumination knob seems to be in a bad position.

My use for this optic is not HD as my handgun fulfills that duty and I like my hearing in tact. I will be using it for target shooting out to around 400 yards or so, and some hog hunting. The only defense duty the scope would see is if there were some all-out assault on my home in which I needed a rifle, but given that very small likelihood, I'm not letting it influence this purchase.

I have chosen vortex because of the reputation of their optics and their lifetime warranty. I like the idea of an illuminated reticle witht the strike eagle, but if it really isn't necessary, I'm not opposed to strictly having etched.

Given my intended usage and price range, do you all think I should save longer for a strike eagle, or opt for the crossfire ii 2-7x?
Old December 29, 2017, 12:41 PM   #2
jimbob86

I've never seen any need for that much magnification on an intermediate caliber carbine ..... I was looking at putting the Crossfire II 2-7x BDC on the .308 AR-10 I built for my daughter .... but ended up going with a 2-7 VX-1 Leupold ..... fewer bells and whistles .... simple is good .....It worked out really well.
Old December 29, 2017, 01:02 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

No idea why you'd want a scope on what amounts to a semi-auto SMG, but look into a Crossfire II 1x Muzzleloader(dunno). 8.9" long(vs 11.3" for the 2-7x32) and weighs 11 ounces(vs 14.3.). FOV is 95 feet at 100 yards. (Vs 42 to 12.6 feet).
Old December 29, 2017, 01:18 PM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
No idea why you'd want a scope on what amounts to a semi-auto SMG
That's a bit rich .... I have not tested a lot of pistol caliber carbines, but I doubt any of them will hold to anything close to the accuracy standard of even a run of the mill AR - hell, average bolt guns won't.
Old December 29, 2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Jacket67

Many people run 1-4x, 1-6x, and 1-8x power scopes on ar15's for a multitude of reasons. I don't understand why me asking about a 2-7x seems to trigger the thought of it being unnecessary... it's a low to medium power scope that only differs in the fact of not going to true 1x, and is not illuminated.

As I said, I use my rifle for target shooting out to decent distances and will be using it for some hunting as well. Both uses benefit from having a variable scope for target acquisition and verification. My concern isn't 1-6x vs 2-7x so much as it is whether or not getting a scope with an illuminated reticle is worth the added cost.

If I get the 2-7x scope and decide it has more capability than is being used, I will gladly put it on my 30-06 or an ar10 build at some point in the future.
Old December 29, 2017, 02:36 PM   #6
Eazyeach

I use a 2-7 Leupold on an AR-15. Heck , my varmint rig is wearing a 3-9x. For you I would get the 2-7. The strike eagle is more of a self-defense or 3 gun type of optic. Just my opinion.
Old December 29, 2017, 02:59 PM   #7
ed308

Slight edge to the Strike Eagle due to the illumnated reticle. I like the power of the Crossfire 2-7x better. I use a Leupold 3-9x with Fire Dot for my hunting scope. The red shows up nicely on a black hog at dusk.
Old December 29, 2017, 03:06 PM   #8
turtlehead

I have a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 on my favorite AR. Lightweight, lifetime warranty and it kicks butt.

If it's not a defensive rifle feel free to put whatever you like on it.
Old December 29, 2017, 03:12 PM   #9
jmr40

Consider this

https://swfa.com/vortex-1-4x24-cross...scope-kit.html

I find a 1-4X to be about ideal. A little more magnification can be helpful at times, but 4X is adequate for deer size game and personal protection out to at least 300 yards. If you want to shoot it farther, or at small varmints then more magnification can help. While a 2-7X is a good option and for the money something to consider, I really like 1X for fast work. This one also has an illuminated dot in the crosshair.

Also, the smaller front objectives work just fine in low light up to about 4X. Above 4X magnification you'd be at a handicap and need a bigger front objective.

Winston Churchill
Old December 29, 2017, 04:20 PM   #10
brasscollector

I entertained the thought of putting a strike eagle on one of my rigs. Then I looked through my friends 1-8 which has the same reticle as the 1-6. Game over. I'm not into the whole halo-rings, subtensions for windage, tacticool stuff. Give me a regular ol crosshair or if it's illuminated a 2-3moa dot. I have that crossfire II 2-7x on my main yote rig and love it. Sure it could have a bit clearer glass or larger objective lens but it does the trick and has great FOV.
Old December 29, 2017, 06:37 PM   #11
Jacket67

How does the 1-4x crossfire stack up at distance? I want to be able to hit targets out to 400 yards which is why I'm interested in a drop reticle. The 1-4x crossfire doesn't have that... so how does it do at distance?
Old December 29, 2017, 07:02 PM   #12
Mobuck

"No idea why you'd want a scope on what amounts to a semi-auto SMG"

Not sure where that came from. The 16" AR I carry is "coyote capable" to 300 yards.
I use scopes from 1-4 X thru 2-7 x on 16" carbines depending on how I intend to use them. I don't see a need for more than 7x on a 300 yard hunting rifle.
Old December 29, 2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Jacket67

Mobuck, do you prefer having an illuminated reticle, or would I be just as well off without it? I understand it's added benefit in lower light situations, but as far as speed of target aquisition, is the non illuminated reticle really that much worse?

Last edited by Jacket67; December 29, 2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old December 29, 2017, 07:41 PM   #14
rickyrick

Hunted mostly at night, because that’s when the pigs and coyotes came out in my old neighborhood. You can certainly get by without an illuminated reticle if you have an outside source of light such as a weapon light or the likes.
Some cheap scopes will “flood” with light when you turn up the illumination.
I only have two illuminated scopes that aren’t red-dots. One of those is a Mueller that has a tiny dot that lights up where the crosshairs intersect. The other is a cheapo Bushnell Banner that has held up ok, but apparently I’m a rare case on that one.

I tend to select 3-9x40 scopes because their price tends to get you a better scope at lower cost. 3-9x40 is really common so prices are reasonable and competitive in that category.

My advice is to try and determine, to the best of your ability, the eye-relief and scope height that will work best for you, then select your scope and mount. A high dollar scope that is awkward to shoot is worse than a lower middle range that is set up ergonomically.
Old December 29, 2017, 08:05 PM   #15
jimbob86

[...as far as speed of target acquisition, is the non illuminated reticle really much worse?/QUOTE]

IME, the gun people are fastest with is the one their hands know the best...... For me, that's my ancient 270WIN with a crappy (halfway ancient ) 3x9x32 scope.... That gun has a 24" barrel and is over 10 pounds field weight.... But no rifle I have encountered equals it for handling, for me, simply because I have spent so much time handling it......... I have a 2x illuminated (red or green cross) optic on my AR......... But if I had to pick one or the other to pick up cold, eyes on target, and hit it........ No question: There is just no substitute for trigger time come crunch time.

In short, I doubt there is enough difference between the two to matter, as the greatest variable in the equation is your familiarity with the whole system...... Pick one and endeavor to shoot it to death.
Old December 30, 2017, 08:38 AM   #16
stagpanther

Watch the eye-relief on some of these scopes--they may be long enough that even with an offset mount you may still not get a quick weld. Just found that out with 2 crossfire 2's I bought intending to mount them on AR's--not a good choice IMO.
Old December 30, 2017, 04:26 PM   #17
Skadoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Consider this

https://swfa.com/vortex-1-4x24-cross...scope-kit.html

I find a 1-4X to be about ideal. A little more magnification can be helpful at times, but 4X is adequate for deer size game and personal protection out to at least 300 yards. If you want to shoot it farther, or at small varmints then more magnification can help. While a 2-7X is a good option and for the money something to consider, I really like 1X for fast work. This one also has an illuminated dot in the crosshair.

Also, the smaller front objectives work just fine in low light up to about 4X. Above 4X magnification you'd be at a handicap and need a bigger front objective.
This.

You can still find a Vortex Viper 1-4 for under $500 if you look. Excellent optic for a 16" AR15.
Old December 31, 2017, 08:25 AM   #18
Mobuck

"Mobuck, do you prefer having an illuminated reticle, or would I be just as well off without
it?"

I'm NOT a fan of illuminated reticles. If I want an illuminated aiming point, I use a red dot optic. The crosshair illumination simply adds venues for moisture entrance into the internals of a regular scope. My state doesn't allow efficient night hunting so I don't really have a need for illuminated reticles.
Old December 31, 2017, 12:17 PM   #19
lordmorgul

I didn’t see anyone mention these concerns:
You cannot hunt with an illuminated scope even if it’s turned off without a battery in california, so that choice can rule out options

A 1-4 would be ready to use for high power rifle competition whereas other above 4x is not allowed.

I have a 1-6 Strike eagle and plan to keep it. The eye relief is very flexible for a scope at 1x so you get pretty near Red Dot like vision and still have an option for higher power.

A 2-7 will be a lot more finicky on eye position before it opens vision up so you find it very slow to target coming from a low ready or sling position.
Old December 31, 2017, 12:19 PM   #20
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh View Post
This.

You can still find a Vortex Viper 1-4 for under $500 if you look. Excellent optic for a 16" AR15.

Not a super low budget option at still twice the street price of a Strike Eagle, but that said, I do like my brothers Viper 1-4 PST reticle a lot more than I like my 1-6 Strike Eagle.
Old December 31, 2017, 01:16 PM   #21
marine6680

Have you looked at the Primary Arms 1-6 gen 3?

I hear a lot of good things about them... Basically comparable to the Strike Eagle, maybe a little better glass. Lifetime warranty as well.

It is a little cheaper and PA offers adding a mount at a discount. The scope with their deluxe scope mount costs about the same as the Strike eagle alone.

It might be a little expensive still... But in my experience, going too cheap on a low power variable... Makes for a bad time.

The cheaper scopes tend to just not be very nice to use. The construction of a low power scope that gets near 1x on the low end, is more complicated than one that is 2x or 3x on the low end. So prices are a bit more for them.

Last edited by marine6680; December 31, 2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old December 31, 2017, 02:42 PM   #22
Cavitation

Dont you know you need a 36 power scope to shoot 300 yards. Seriously a 1x4 should be good to 300 easy. Hell irons are good for much further than most think. I used to shoot 600 meters with peeps in the Army.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5FrxeeOVM
Old December 31, 2017, 05:16 PM   #23
Eazyeach

It's not one of your choices but have you considered a fixed magnification scope? Vortex makes a 3x or 5x prism scope. I've been considering a Vortex spitfire 1x to replace a red dot that I can't see. Stupid astigmatism.
Old December 31, 2017, 10:04 PM   #24
Jacket67

Quote:
Have you looked at the Primary Arms 1-6 gen 3?
I actually have. I wrote them off early on until I just recently found out the gen 3s have a lifetime warranty. Really like the KISS reticle. The ACSS is cool too, just not for this rifle. Would consider it for an spr build though..

Quote:
It is a little cheaper and PA offers adding a mount at a discount.
Where can I find this at? I haven't seen where that combo is discounted.
Old January 1, 2018, 09:40 AM   #25
brasscollector

Primary offers the discounted mounts when you're on the page looking at the scope. For me it's near the upper right of the page close to where you would click to add the scope to your 'cart', right below the dark grey/black box that says 'optional accessories'.