The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Genepix

Ammo question: weight/velocity/effectiveness

I'm sure this may be simple issue for most, but I am still a bit confused and am asking for feedback from those more knowledgeable than I.....

Without going into great detail- (Among other handguns) I have two S&W revolvers I keep for home defense and/or concealed carry. A K-frame is loaded with Gold Dot 38 sp +p 135 gr hp, and a carry J-frame I load with Federal Hydra-Shok 110 gr hp...

I elected to load Hydra-Shoks in the 642 because of muzzle rise and ease of restoring sight picture for 2nd shot. The K-frame, which is a 357 mag ( and significantly heavier), sports the Gold Dots.

My question is: Is there significant performance/effectiveness difference between 110/135/158 loads? I assume that the heavier bullet requires more powder, thus greater velocity and recoil, but since there are so many combinations available, I am wondering if my ammo selections are "on target".. I also understand that this may be a rather subjective issue, but would be interested in veteran feedback. Thanks in advance.

Gene
Old December 6, 2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Bud Helms

This is where a reloading manual, whether you intend to ever reload or not, would answer all.

Whether your ammo selections are "on target", is defintely subjective, but you will get opinions anyway.

"My question is: Is there significant performance/effectiveness difference between 110/135/158 loads?" It would be a miracle if there weren't.But where to begin ... I think the place to begin would be in the Handloading and Reloading forum.

Moving now.
Old December 6, 2008, 06:58 PM   #3
wpcexpert

Quote:
I assume that the heavier bullet requires more powder, thus greater velocity and recoil
This is an incorrect assumption, sir. The heavier bullet uses less powder. The pressure required to push a heavy bullet to the velocity of a lower grain bullet, would be too great.

The heavier bullet, generally, is moving at a lower velocity. Although I do not know the loads and velocities claimed by the two. With the 130gr being a +P, it may be moving about the same as the 110gr.

As far as bullet performance, both bullets are good expanding bullets. Both should do fine within home SD distance.

As far as on target, do you mean where you aim, or just your bullet selection in general?
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 6, 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Genepix

Thanks gentlemen...