The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Chuckusaret

12 Gauge 1-3/4" Minishells

After buying 5 boxes of Aguila Minishell Ammunition 12 Gauge 1-3/4" # 4 Buckshot for HD I happened across a note on one of the ammo dealers sites that stated there were some problems when using the ammo. I believe the stated problems make the minishells not usable for home defense because of the possibility of a jam.

Note from Aguila on Shotgun Modifications to use Minishells:

MOSSBERGS 500/590s will cycle minishells pretty well once the shooter acquires a "feeling" as to how to pump the action; however, this will not prevent the occasional jam. To further solve the problem, we have lengthened and widened the little short metal bar (shell elevator), which catches the round to be subsequently fed to the ramp and chamber. This modification will not prevent you from firing regular size shot shells. The other modification that would decisively help in the proper cycling, would be to install the ejector in a more forward position to catch the spent shorter shell and eject it, before it may flip and cause jams. However, we DO NOT recommend you to do this, because you will most likely no longer be able to fire regular size shells.

There are also the same concerns as mentioned above for other brand shotguns.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

'Round these parts, them are called "poacher shot"... The only benefit other than being a little quieter for poaching midnite deer is increased capacity in the tube. Not a hot enuff load for me to use for primary HD or hunting.
I researched them a bit and found they are widely accepted in the prison systems as hardcore riot control. The officials in these situations do not care if the prisoner is killed or wounded, just not rioting!
Have fun with them tho! I think you-tube has a few vids of them.
Brent