The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Edge

Browning Lightning / SKB OU Values

Many years ago, one of my brother's was big into trap and skeet. He had purchased a Belgium made Browning Lightning 12 guage over under for trap and an SKB over under 12 guage for skeet. He died about 14 years ago and the guns went to another brother who is now considering selling them to me. Both have been shot considerably; but are in great working condition. What is a fair price for each of the two guns or where would be a good place to obtain an approximate value?
Old December 12, 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
BigJimP

You can check guns america and get an idea maybe.

Without photos its hard to judge condition.

A Browning Lightning new these days, grade 1, is around $ 1,750. A higher end grade 7 is about $ 4,000 new with some gold inlay, etc. A standard grade 1 lighting used is about $1,000.

The SKB in general, will be worth less than a comparable grade Browning - but we would need the model and photos to give you more.

On shotguns - value is really dependent on wear unless its a very rare model. If the connection is loose, if the stock has a lot of handling marks - its a big reduction in value. If the gun does not have screw in chokes - its probably worth 25% less at least - unless its a rare model.

I don't recall the Lightning series being made in Belgium - to my knowledge they were all made in Japan - but I could be wrong / and it depends on how old they are. I don't think the Lightning name was used in the Citori lineup until about 1990.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Waterengineer

Prices

OK, I can jumpm in here on this.

Jim is right about all things Browning, including the fact that Lightning = Japan.
Perhaps a wee bit high on the trap gun I know where there is a Citori trap in equisite consition for $900. It will go a little higher if actually a sporting or field gun so $1000 is about right.

The SKB is worth about $600 to $700 depending on configuration. If it is the skeet configuration, then, I assume it has 26-inch tubes, which were the fashion years back for skeet. Then the gun would be worth something less, just because, because now, longer tubes are the fashion.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Edge

Thanks for the quick replies. It looks like I need to double check and possibly take pictures of the guns. I haven't even seen them for years. The SKB is a pretty short gun that he used for skeet so I bet you're right on track there. The Browning is a long gun. It seems like it has scroll marks and etc. on it (i.e. kind of fancy). It also seems like he paid $1,200 or so for it used back around 1982 or so. I could have sworn I remembered him talking about it being a lightning and being worth more because it was made in Belgium. Again though, that was a long time ago. Maybe it isn't a lightning or maybe it wasn't made in Belgium?
Old December 12, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Waterengineer

A simple phone call to Utah will answer the manufacturing and date questions.
Old December 12, 2008, 10:21 PM   #6
WIN71

"Lightning" doesn't always mean Japan. The Belgium Browning Superposed were offered in both "Lightning Trap" and "Broadway Trap". They were both real popular in the 60's and 70' as quality guns and sought after on the used market. At that time (mid 70's) you could get a new Ithaca SKB o/u skeet gun for around $400.00. A used Broadway or lightning trap in good condition was somewhere around $1200.00 and up.

Along with a whole lot of mechanical and design differences obviously one will say "made in Belgium" and the other, well, "made in Japan".
Old December 12, 2008, 11:42 PM   #7
USA123456789

Big Jim i love your comment in that worthless piece of 3#$t. I have shoot them and they are by far the worst disigned gun i have ever shoot. The pins are easier to break then the ones in my xt and im on my 4th set this yr.

USA USA USA USA
Old December 20, 2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Edge

Update

I talked with my brother.

The SKB is an Ithaca 500 made by SKB in Japan.

The Browning is a Lightning made in Belgium (at least that is what is engraved / stamped on it with other info). It is rather long and a little fancy.

I don't have the serial numbers yet.
Old December 22, 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
kentucky_smith

Ah, so you need to find information on a Superposed Lightning Trap, rather than a Citori. Great guns and a bargain at the prices they are commanding these days.

Everything is about condition.

Here's a refinished one fairly cheap: http://www.gunsamerica.com/976812287..._LIGHTNING.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/977472794...posed_12ga.htm

SKB is worth about $600, great guns, check for cracks though.
Old December 22, 2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Couzin

Edge: You say 'purchased for trap and skeet' but you don't note if the guns are marked "Trap" and "Skeet". If they are not so marked, and are field/upland guns, then the value will be probably lower (unless they are fancy marked and higher grade or something...).