The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Greguw

Looking for a scope for my slug guns

He guys I am looking for put scopes on my 2 slug guns I just picked up . First gun is a savage 210 , I am assuming the max accurate distance for this gun is around 200 yards .
The other is a Marlin 512 , that has a much shorter barrel , that gun is going to be less accurate , some where around 125 to 150 yards if I am lucky .
To be honest I could not make up my mind on the slug guns so I bought both , the Marlin appears to be built better than the savage , but the savage has the distance and plastic stock for the bad weather , only thing the savage needs is to coat the barrel so it dose not rust up .
These guns have a nice healthy kick , I don't need to break the bank but would like to get a scope thats going to hold up to the pounding these guns will inflict .
Thanks guys
Old September 10, 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
crowbeaner

Look at a Burris 1.5x 4.5. It has the guts to take the recoil of a 12 gauge and hold zero. Lifetime warranty. Around $200 apiece. Make sure you have good bases and rings that won't let the scope move under recoil. Keep your head back; I have a neat little quarter moon scar on the bridge of my schnozz to prove that a 12 kicks. It was put there by an Ithaca 37 and an old Redfield 2 3/4x Widefield.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:31 AM   #3
mikenbarb

+1 Crowbeaner and another good choice is the Bushnell Dusk & Dawn shotgun scope. Its a 1.5-4.5x32 and the p/n is 71-1545 matte. Its tough and wont be hard on your wallet.
The 210F is a great slug gun and I got one that shoots like a dream. Just remember one thing with the 210, You have to use high mounts for shell ejection and it likes 3" sabot slugs and wasnt designed to shoot 2 3/4" shells. Look at the barrel and owners manual to make sure its chambered for 3" but im sure it is. Try the BRI Sabots, They shoot the best out of them because Savage built the gun around that slug. The max effective range for the one I own is around 225+ yards with the 3" BRI Sabots or Federals 3" Sabots. Good luck with it, Its a great gun.