The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 9, 2001, 08:00 PM   #1
Buddy Lee

Pistol Grip Shotgun...what's it like to shoot one?

The local gun store has the Mossberg 50665, a 590 model for sale with nothing but a pistol grip. I've never fired a pistol grip shotgun before. What could I expect as far as recoil is involved?

I held it and tried to aim with it, but it seemed useless with only the pistol grip, so I am going to assume that all rounds are fired from the waist or mid-chest level. Not much aiming involved, more just point and shoot.

If anyone has fired a pistol grip only shotgun, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,

BL
Old November 9, 2001, 08:15 PM   #2
urban assault

I have an ATI top folder pistol grip stock on my 870 police. Put over 100 shells thru it on Sunday and wasnt bothered by the recoil at all. Yes, it is more comfortable to shoot at waist level but mid-chest was no really a problem either. I smile when I hear how many people complain about the pain of shooting a pistol-gripped shotgun. Its fine and while not as accurate as using a full-length stock, it will definetly get the job done. The folding stock makes the gun easier to haul around as well. I am glad I put my stock on. Good luck to you.

michael
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife... And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next!" - Gladiator

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
Old November 9, 2001, 11:07 PM   #3
The Reaper

Mines the Mossberg 500. With the pistol grip on it ain't no hunting shotgun. Purely a home defense or a close in deal.

I have shot mine at waist and chest level. It gets good hits and is a fine point and shoot gun out to about 15 yds. Beyond that I won't even try. Recoil is fine for me, but I'm larger than average your mileage may vary.

Also, you should be able to buy a stock for it after you get it.
Old November 10, 2001, 10:46 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This has been chewed on here before, and frequently. You may want to check the Archives for a thread about a challenge to PG only shotgunners.

Here's the bottom line, fot those that disdain the search feature....

I shot PGs and folders from the hip because it was part of our agency qualifier.Being an instructor meant besides having to qualify to 90%, I had to do demos, again and again. IOW, I've fired hundreds if not thousands of rounds from the hip, and trained hundreds of others to do so.

NOBODY shoots as well with just a PG. NOBODY. Some folks can get decent results with one, and superb results from using a fully stocked shotgun and spending the same amount of time and practice.

Here's the challenge again. I live in central Md. I will travel up to 2 hours away, to shoot against any PG only fan, using their facilities,their COF, and similar ammo. I'll use one of my "Serious" 870s stocked as G*D intended. MY opponent may use ANY shotgun he/she chooses, just so long as it has only a PG. The COF is your choice, and shot for score, time decides ties. Loser buys the donuts and coffee, and the results get posted rat cheer.

Any takers?....
Old November 10, 2001, 12:37 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Tried it

bought a $7 pistol grip from cheaperthandirt.com to slap on my 590A1.

Nothing good to say about it unless you're in extremely tight quarters. It might be good for corner and hallways, but not for anything at distance. Also gives you a beating. On the other hand, you could always buy it and put on a speedfeed buttstock.

Good luck and regards.

P.S. Welcome Buddy Lee. Here's a shotgun rule: Always listen to what Dave McC says.
Old November 11, 2001, 05:41 AM   #6
SHOCK

1. did any of you fired the Mossberg 590A1 COMPACT #52689tritium?

2. how about Mossberg 590A1 COMPACT #51683 w/ cruiser grip?

3. which is better?

4. can you get a PG only stock for the #52689tritium and a full stock for the 51683?

5. what is the difference w/ a speedfeed stock & a normal one?

Diligentia, Vis, Celaritas
Accuracy, Power, Speed