The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 25, 2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Whiteboy67

Woot, broke in my shotgun today

Finally had the chance to shoot my mossberg 590 today and I was surprised at how much less of a kickback there was than I had thought. I was firing birdshot and some slugs I picked up at walmart and went through about 50 birdshot shells, and 10 slugs. The slugs definetly had more of an "oomph" to them, but still not what I thought they would be, then again, they were only 2 3/4" and not 3 1/2". Next stop, gun shop to pick up some 3" slugs

Also cleaned it and man that took a while...One of the pieces was stubborn and wouldn't go in correctly no matter what I did so I had to sit and play with it for over 20 minutes before I finally figured it out and got it to slide right in, after that I had it together in minutes.

VERY fun day today, I really like my shotgun. I need to find some better targets to shoot at so I can work on my aim as it seemed I always shot a little bit lower than what I wanted to hit.
Oh, and my shoulder kind of is sore
Old December 25, 2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Good Job! Glad it was a positive experience. See, I told you that them slugs are not all that!!! If the stock fits correctly, felt recoil is less. Lots of reasons for getting smacked by a scattergun stock, most of them have to do with not keeping your elbow UP or raising your head off the stock.

3" slugs are a bit more push on your shoulder, remember to hold against your shoulder and keep your elbow up.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old December 25, 2008, 01:33 AM   #3
Whiteboy67

Yeah, I kept it firm in my shoulder so the recoil wasn't that bad. I also bought a speedfeed stock that I should be getting in a few days. I liked firing my shotgun more than my .22

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...y/DSCF0058.jpg

There's a pic of me holding the gun, note: I do NOT shoot like that.
Old December 25, 2008, 01:52 AM   #4
Scattergun Bob

The Worst day at the range is better than the best day at work!

Speed Feed stocks are GREAT!

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old December 25, 2008, 01:55 AM   #5
Whiteboy67

Haha yeah, I've been meaning to ask about ranges. Do they allow shotguns in ranges to shoot at targets other than skeet? Or would I have to stick with my .22 at the ranges?
Old December 25, 2008, 09:14 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Depends on the range. Our old outdoor range allowed shot gunners to stand in a section just beyond the covered area. Glad it went okay for you... What shape was the part that gave you fits? I bet 'tween the regular users here, we can find the point to ponder to make it a breeze to put it back together...
Brent
Old December 25, 2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Whiteboy67

Brent--It was the big bolt piece, I had a crapload of problems putting it back in the right spot. I know you had to push that small metal piece so that it can fully slide back, but it still wouldn't slide back after I pushed that in. Took me 20 minutes but it somehow finallly slid right in, after that I had it fully assembled really fast.
That youtube vid helped too.
Old December 25, 2008, 12:56 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will tear mine down prolly tonite and will keep in mind your situation and try to report a help tip here in this thread for ya...
Brent
Old December 25, 2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Whiteboy67

Hah cool :P I'm sure I was doing something wrong, but my dad told me never to force stuff if it's not going in smooth as you'll just bend something and have to fix that.
Old December 25, 2008, 01:45 PM   #10
nemoaz

Why get 3" shells? For the extra 100 feet per second of velocity and LOTS more recoil? It won't matter across the room or down the hallway.

This seems like a HD shotgun so may I suggest you stock up on reduced recoil OO buck and slugs instead.
Old December 25, 2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Whiteboy67

I want 3" to knock me back when I shoot it. My house doesn't get broken into a lot, but our barn has before and that's about it. Someone tried to come through our garage door once and we caught them on the security cam my dad setup, but nothing serious. I want to get stuff that would be fun to shoot, birdshot is fun and so are 2 3/4" shells, but I want to try and shoot some 3" to see the difference.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:59 AM   #12
Mike U.

Well, if your into pain and suffering with a shotgun, get hold of some Brenneke "Black Magic" slugs in the 3" length. Or, maybe the 3" Remington Buckhammer.
That'll learn ya...

Glad you had a hoot today! Shotgunning is FUN!
Old December 26, 2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Whiteboy67

Going to gun a show this weekend.....I'm very excited