The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2006, 07:18 PM   #1
cindyay

help in buying boresighter and range finder

could someone please recommend a quality range finder and boresighter. it is for my dad. he wants to order the leupold zero point boresighter from cabelas for $70; is there any place cheaper online? are there any better boresighters? is the Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout Laser Rangefinder a good range finder? my dad wants one that is $350 or below (the rangefinder). the boresighter, he would like $100 or below. any tips or good places/brands to buy. i would really appreciate it as i know not much about hunting. thank you.
Old October 8, 2006, 07:38 PM   #2
rem33

I have the Leupold and have been happy with it so far, but have only used in on a few rifles. $70 isn't a bad price, trouble i had was finding one in stock.
Old October 8, 2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

All my boresighting is "good-eye". While I'm usually on the paper at 100 yards, that way, I start zeroing at at 25 yards...

I'm quite pleased with my Bushnell 800. 3X magnification is adequate. It checks out on known distances.

Art
Old October 8, 2006, 11:57 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

I am with Art on this one. The best bore sighter out there is free and god gave you two of 'em

Get it on the paper at 100 and work from there. If this is not a good answer then get the leupold.

As for range finders I bought a Leupold RX-II from cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...756&hasJS=true
for $319 (camo model) and I have been very pleased with it so far. It ranges correctly out to know targets and has a thing called tru balistic range that compensates for elevation when ranging the target. Brother has the Nikon Monarch 800 and is pleased with it as well, but he did offer to trade me for my Leupold after he used it when yote hunting (if that tells you anything).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old October 9, 2006, 09:22 AM   #5
FrontSight

Don't get the laser boresighters...they suck. Get the bushnell optical one...it's awesome!
Old October 9, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

A Leupold Optical boresighter is about $30 IIRC. That's what I use. It gets me on paper at 25, then I go from there.

As for laser rangefinders, my cheapie Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 works very well, but here's the one I want, as a gadget to replace 2 other gadgets (simplification):

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-...inoculars.html
Old October 9, 2006, 10:33 AM   #7
davlandrum

Rangefinder

I have a rangefinder that also functions as binos. Makes it a lot handier for me in the field rather than switching back and forth between binos and rangefinder. I admit they are not the same as a great set of binos, but work well enough for most of the situations I find myself hunting in.
Old October 10, 2006, 12:42 AM   #8
trooper3385

A few months back, I got a laser bore sighter as a gift from cabelas. I believe the price was $149. I played around with it for a few days and thought it was just horrible. I can't remember what the name of it was, but the laser bore sighter on the end was red in color. I took it back and exchanged it for a Cabelas brand mechanical bore sighter that was $45 and some change. Much simpler to use and quicker. I took a rifle out that I had bore sighted with the laser one and a rifle I had bore sighted with the mechanical one and the results were just about the same. In fact, I bore sighted a new rifle this afternoon with the mechanical one and took it to the range. I was about 4 in. of the target at 50 yards. Not to bad for just being bore sighted and it took less than 5 minutes. Can't help you with the rangefinder yet. I'm still looking for one myself.
Old October 10, 2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Scorch

Leupold bore sightersare fine, as are Bushnells and most others. Bore sighters are just to get you on paper, and most work pretty well. You can spend hundeds on a laser or just get a simple mechanical one, but they will only get you so close. After that you are on your own.

The Bushnell Quest 8X binos with built-in laser range finder work very well (1500 yd out to 800 yds on deer), but they are a bit heavier than the Leupold (800 yds, out to 400 yds on deer). While I am not a big fan of Bushnell products, the bino/laser rangefinder works.
Old November 28, 2006, 09:52 PM   #10
zzirg

laser finder

this may be to late but i have a nikon laser 800 range finder that works great and the nice thing is the size and it has a multi mode setting , I can carry it in my pocket .Its about 400.00 but there always on sale and ive seen them as low as 299.00.
Old November 28, 2006, 10:57 PM   #11
Fat White Boy

I have a Bushnell Compact 800 that works great. It is on sale at Cabela's in the Bargain Cave for $239.99....
Old November 29, 2006, 11:22 PM   #12
ZeroJunk

For bolt action rifles I put the rifle in a vise and bore sight it on a tennis ball at about 50 feet.Then I adjust the scope to the center of the tennis ball.It's amazing how close you can get.Obviously useless when you can't look down the bore.I have sighted in a couple of rifles this year for friends who had them bore sighted at the gun store with a laser or whatever.They were both within 6 inches at 100 yards.They work OK ,I'm just too cheap to buy one.
Old November 30, 2006, 08:39 AM   #13
rezmedic54

Bore Sighter

I use a BSA bore sighter. Tried the laser ones and chamber ones but didn't like any till I picked up this one. Brownells has the extension for them so you can even sight in a Cemte or H&K rifle with no problems. The range finder I use is a Leo and so far so good. Picked up both for just over 250 if memory serves maybe a bit less.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old December 1, 2006, 01:55 AM   #14
LAK Supply

Hey there. . . I usually just lurk around here, but I know a little bit about this one. I have some of these on my site; both mechanical and laser. I have one of each (mechanical one by Simmons and laser by LaserLyte) for around $45, and another that is around $60. All of them work as well as any that I have used.
Everyone else here is correct though; the boresighters are just to get you in the neighborhood. Don't go spend a lot of $$ on one; you likely won't get the additional performance to justify the extra money spent.
Although I do carry a couple that are more expensive (you have to purchase the base unit and then any arbors for additional calibers that you may wish to sight, which can get a bit pricey), I wouldn't recommend them over the basic ones. An inexpensive one can get you on paper; from there you need to sight your weapon from a bench for good results. Regards, Lance

If you are interested, here are the links (please excuse the lack of organization; we are still working on it! ):

http://www.laksupply.com/cart.php?ta...ategory_id=323

Old December 1, 2006, 09:02 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

Hey LAK, thanks for the link; I hadn't heard of your company before..... always good to give a try to TFL members.
Old December 1, 2006, 10:37 PM   #16
LAK Supply

I'm pretty sure no one has heard of us! We only launched the site a short time ago. . .

If you need anything please let me know! I'm always happy to help anyone here with anything they might need, and I'm not one of those outfits that are only helpful if you buy something. . . those places irritate me!

[email protected]
Old December 2, 2006, 01:20 AM   #17
CamoCop

the Nikon range finders are nice. the only thing i don't like about my Nikon 440 is the max range under 400 yards. not the range finders fault, it does what it claims to do. i should have done more research on them before spending $250 on this one.