The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2017, 09:14 AM   #26
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
Sig has had a couple issues with them firing when dropped. I sure hope the fix is not messing up the Terrific Trigger on them.
I sent mine back and Sig turned it around in less than a week. I was quite amazed.

I can't say a bad thing about how they handled it nor the service for the upgrade. I put 1000 rounds through it last week post-upgrade and it was flawless. The trigger, as someone else noted, is only better if anything.
Old December 9, 2017, 07:18 AM   #27
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Those are some terrible shooting grips.

Gotta love the hyperbole, much like when the Brits switched frim the Hi Power to the Glock 17 and ranted that now they could "safely carry with a round chambered" with the Glock.

Uhh, what?
My favorite press release comment is that the M17 is "far more lethal" than the M9.

9mm rounds now suddenly stop tanks and take down elk!
Old December 9, 2017, 10:26 AM   #28
TunnelRat

From what I’ve read it does seem like they will be going to a 147 gr Winchester hollowpoint. But that’s ammunition and not a pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 9, 2017, 11:33 AM   #29
tipoc

Quote:
Sadly from the video there are some poor grips in the 101 (some good ones too) and with the one fella you can really see how it causes significantly more muzzle flip.

https://youtu.be/sc-pQH9GSxA
OK there are some poor grips. The teacup hold, for example.

Reminds me how useful looking at a video of your hands while shooting can be. Not looking while you're shooting, but looking a the vid of you shooting afterwards. The one fella in this vid moves his support hand after every shot. Another man just looks uncomfortable after each shot, he makes a face looks like me when I'm slightly constipated.

Good video.

I seem to recall that a part of the contract that Sig won required that ammo be developed for the guns. Sig did that. It's partly why we see Sig branded ammo out these days. I'm not sure who manufacturers it. I'm also not sure how of if it differs from other 9mm ammo in any significant way. It's made to Sigs specs. That they were ready to go with it was a factor in winning the contract.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old December 9, 2017, 01:19 PM   #30
TunnelRat

SIG partnered with Winchester for their ammo part of the bid. Whether Winchester makes the SIG branded ammo is something I don't know. To my knowledge they started up their own factory.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 10, 2017, 11:02 AM   #31
RC20

Quote:
Far more lethal? Ummm. Sure.
Did anyone see the thing about better dispersion? In a pistol in combat? Really!

I'm still disappointed they went with the striker gun.

Going to be a lot of Sig Butt and Sig leg.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:52 PM   #32
Model12Win

So are "dem holler tips" as they boys on the corner say, are they going to be SI for the M17?
Old December 16, 2017, 07:11 PM   #33
otasan

Is the new plastic pistol by SIG? The Sig M17?
Old December 16, 2017, 11:03 PM   #34
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
Is the new plastic pistol by SIG? The Sig M17?
Yes plastic pistol M17 SIG is.
Old December 17, 2017, 07:50 AM   #35
OhioGuy

Hopefully the manual safety, if used correctly, will prevent holster accidents. I really do like the P320 and the trigger is lovely, but barely any heavier than a hammer gun in SA. It really is carrying a cocked and unlocked pistol.

I honestly think the "gadget" sold for Glocks is a brilliant idea. I've never used one, but it gives you a "hammer" to hold down with your thumb when putting the gun into the holster, and it prevents the gun from firing. But it's completely passive in its operation (no levers to flick, etc.). It wouldn't work on a fully cocked striker though, so I'm guessing a thumb safety is the best way to (hopefully) prevent NDs when holstering the P320. I had an XD for about a year, and while I ended up not being crazy about the pistol itself, I always did like the grip safety. Fully cocked, good trigger pull, but has the extra insurance against user error.

Boy, I'm really rambling!
Old December 18, 2017, 03:16 AM   #36
Mackie244Bud

Hi all,
Interesting that the M17's and M18's in the Video have Safety's
That must have been a spec the Army wanted
I do not think that a civilian P320 is even offered with a Safety.

I also I think that the military version has a newer Trigger rather than the original version P320.
Though I am not sure if the new "Upgraded" version P320 does not now have the same trigger as the M17, M18.
It would make sense to just have ALL P320 / M17 & M18 have the same trigger assy.
Better on Sig's parts base.
Maybe someone can clarify that.

The P320 X- Five has a Straight X-Series Trigger.

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; December 18, 2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old December 18, 2017, 07:43 AM   #37
P-990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie244Bud View Post
Hi all,
Interesting that the M17's and M18's in the Video have Safety's
That must have been a spec the Army wanted
I do not think that a civilian P320 is even offered with a Safety.

I also I think that the military version has a newer Trigger rather than the original version P320.
Though I am not sure if the new "Upgraded" version P320 does not now have the same trigger as the M17, M18.
It would make sense to just have ALL P320 / M17 & M18 have the same trigger assy.
Better on Sig's parts base.
Maybe someone can clarify that.

The P320 X- Five has a Straight X-Series Trigger.

Mackie244 / Bud
There has been a thumb safety-equipped version of the 320 available for civilian sales for a while. It allows the gun to pass the "safety" tests to get on the approved sales roster in some states (*cough* Massachusetts *cough*). Plus, as noted, the 320 truly is almost like carrying a cocked single action pistol, and a thumb safety does make a lot of people more comfortable.

Also, my understanding is that the military contract pistols use a trigger that is broadly similar to the new "it's not a recall it's a voluntary product upgrade" trigger SIG is putting on the 320s. It wouldn't surprise me if the drop-safe deficiency was discovered during military acceptance testing, which would explain why it seems SIG was quietly moving to the new trigger as a production upgrade before the 'net blew up on them.
Old December 19, 2017, 06:25 PM   #38
otasan

Another Glock copy?
Old December 19, 2017, 06:28 PM   #39
qwiksdraw

Quote:
"it's not a recall it's a voluntary product upgrade"
That is correct. There was no court order mandating the action by Sig, they acted voluntarily to replace and upgrade the parts in question.

Even a court-ordered recall can not force individual owners to return their product, they have to return it on their own volition (voluntarily).

It's always nice to see a company do the right thing without government involvement (subsidized by taxpayers, of course).
Old December 19, 2017, 06:48 PM   #40
otasan

Glock should have applied for an international patent, if they exist.
Old December 19, 2017, 06:50 PM   #41
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
Another Glock copy?
Another Glock Fanboi trolling a Sig thread?

Just because it happens to be striker fired does not make it a Glock copy. Go hold one. Fire one if you can, and see if you still think it's a Glock copy.
Old December 19, 2017, 06:53 PM   #42
otasan

I am a Glock fanboy, for sure. But I am not a troll.
Old December 19, 2017, 08:56 PM   #43
tipoc

Quote:
I am a Glock fanboy, for sure. But I am not a troll.
This is unfortunate, I mean that you are not a troll, that's unfortunate, because as a fan of Glocks you should be familiar enough with that excellent gun to know what is and is not a clone. That you aren't sure or certain whether the M17 is a clone or not means that you are not all that familiar with Glocks. So, if you are a serious fan of Glocks than it indicates that more study and knowledge are required on your part before you can say that you are a serious fan. "Fanboy" OK cuz you don't need to know much to be that. But it would be good to know more.

That you are not a troll is also unfortunate cuz then it means that you are dropping provocative one liners into the discussion without being aware of it.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.