The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 4, 2017, 05:18 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Anyone have experience with SCCY?

9mm. Less than 6" long, 4" high and only one inch wide. 10 round magazine.

So it's the width of a single stack, but 3-4 more rounds, and a shorter grip? It's the dimensions of a Glock 43 but +4 capacity! And cheaper!

9lb double action trigger...not a target pistol by any means but for CCW self defense?

There has to be a catch, like maybe "they're great until they lock up after 200 rounds"
Old June 4, 2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Minorcan

Got one for my wife. It fired reliably, with no problems to date. The fit is not as nice as a Sig but you can buy four SSCY for the price of one Sig. I will say that the safety was plastic and so was the guide rod. I still have it and have no plans for selling it. It is an excellent value but not the highest quality.
Old June 4, 2017, 06:19 PM   #3
lamarw

If you do a search on the Forum, you will find a lot of past discussions on the SCCY to include my experience with it. (I am happy with mine.)

The latest issue of Guns & Ammo has a review of the CPX-3 in .380. G&A also had a review of the CPX-2 a couple of years ago. Their comments have been positive; although SCCY does advertise heavily with the publication.
Old June 5, 2017, 10:17 AM   #4
marine6680

Here is a quick run down on the pistol. Got one for the fiance a while back, as she liked the size and feel in her hand.

It's light, smooth, easy to carry.

Recoil is fairly harsh, my fiance did not like the recoil. Even I found it unpleasant.

The trigger is heavy, it's manageable with practice though.

Mine fed reliably.

The magazines feel a little chintzy, but didn't seem to be a problem overall.

Mine eventually developed a trigger reset issue. As parts wore in, and the frame got a little groove at the trigger bar... It lead to the trigger not reseting properly.

I had to do a little work to the trigger bar to allow it to slide back into place properly.

From my understanding, this isn't a common thing.

It seems the pistols are overall solid, but their price point manufacture, and being from a newer and smaller company... Means that QC and overall quality is a bit hit and miss.

Most of the time you will get a solid pistol, but the chance of having issues is higher than with something like a Glock or S&W.

Between the reliability issue, even though solved, and the stiff recoil... I decided to get rid of the pistol.

Ended up with a S&W Shield for the fiance.

Last edited by marine6680; June 5, 2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old June 5, 2017, 11:15 AM   #5
indie_rocker

I've enjoyed mine. I have the CPX-2 in 9mm, that's the model without a manual safety. The trigger pull is long enough that I don't think it's needed. It also has a metal guide rod, maybe it's just an early model thing. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's been great for the most part.

I've put hundreds of rounds through it and did have the ejector break on me after one too many +P rounds during a single range session (50 or so consecutive, the manual recommends against this). It actually ran pretty well with it broken, casings were still ejecting. Maybe 1-2 failures every magazine. One phone call to the company and they gave me two options: send it in or they could send me parts. I took the latter, parts came quickly and it was an easy repair. I stick to standard pressure with it these days.

For the price, it's hard to beat a firearm with such great customer service. I carry it when I'm certain it'll get beat up a bit. Garage work, yard work, hiking, etc.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Old June 5, 2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Mike38

My Son-in-Law bought one about 3 months ago. We went to the range to shoot a couple boxes of 9mm through it. With him shooting, it jammed about every 5 rounds. I tried it and it worked perfectly. I think he was limp wristing it. Accuracy was acceptable for a carry gun at 7 yards. Would I buy one? Maybe.
Old December 13, 2017, 08:55 PM   #7
SCCY

Love em!

Have three CPX 2's all black, black with a stainless slide, and purple withy a black slide.

My newest is a CPX 1 the TTWT model. White frame with a stainless slide.