The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 18, 2014, 03:39 PM   #1
bspillman

Ruger CA has wowed me

A few weeks back I bought it a well used p85. It was scratched up had rust on the slide and the rear sight was broken. I read about a recall on the decocker safety and called ruger. The person on the phone was very nice and professional. After telling him what my problems were he offered to pay for shipping both ways that's 180 dollars round trip. I sent the gun to them and seven days later it was back at my door with:

A new slide, firing pin recoil spring, decocker safety, rear sight and mag release. That's just what I know for sure was new. They also cleaned it and polished the feed ramp. With all that said, after this great experience I will be adding more rugers to my collection. And I forgot to mention that it didn't cost me a dime....wow.
Old April 18, 2014, 03:46 PM   #2
SHE3PDOG

That is pretty awesome. It is astonishing that they did all that even though you weren't the original owner.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 18, 2014, 03:49 PM   #3
bspillman

Yes I agree. Best CS experience I every had. With anything I have bought new or used.
Old April 18, 2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Dragline45

There is a reason Ruger is one of, if not the most profitable gun company in the US. They stand behind their product and will take care of their customers. Because they took care of you, like you said you will continue to buy Rugers, they potentially bought themselves a lifelong customer for the cost of spare parts they had lying around the shop/warehouse. That's how you do business.
Old April 19, 2014, 04:46 AM   #5
Rogervzv

Similar experience here. I bought a used Ruger Mark I .22 pistol that was probably 30 years old at the LGS consignment shelf. After one outing it had problems; the trigger would not reset. I sent the gun in on my dime and authorized Ruger to charge my card to fix the gun. They did not charge my card, they replaced a whole plethora of parts, and shipped the gun back to me at their expense in about a week. The gun has functioned great ever since. For this reason I never hesitate to buy a new or used Ruger -- I know that they stand behind their products and they don't hassle you about being the original owner, proof of purchase, or any of that nonsense.
Old April 19, 2014, 06:48 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Wow, I knew Ruger was great, but I'm impressed they replaced the slide as well as the additional work they performed.

All that, by the way, and Ruger doesn't even warranty their guns at all.
Old April 20, 2014, 06:54 PM   #7
HKFan9

It is not that they don't... its that they have no WRITTEN warranty... but they will take any of their firearms in for a warranty inspection. 9 times out of 10 they will repair it no cost to the customer.... a few instances I had them charge some of my customers, but really only the ones who did something stupid, or used faulty hand loads.
Old April 20, 2014, 07:03 PM   #8
smee78

I used there CS for a revolver once and had no problems. Great product at great prices, now if they could just keep up with demand (Redhawk 45C 4") I would be happier
Old April 20, 2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Dragline45

Quote:
now if they could just keep up with demand (Redhawk 45C 4") I would be happier
I have been searching for a .45 Colt Redhawk for a few years, have never even laid my eyes on one. Ruger temporarily stopped production of the Redhawk to focus on their more popular models, but say they will continue production again at some point. Problem is that even when they were still in production they were tough if not impossible to find.
Old April 20, 2014, 10:21 PM   #10
Jim March

Yes, Ruger post-sales support is superb.

There's just one weak spot. They don't like modifications. At all. The first rule of FrankenRugers is, we don't discuss FrankenRugers with Ruger. Undo the mods before sending it in if possible...otherwise you're on your own. Maurice is never going to be allowed to go home, ever, somebody will pass bricks sans lube if they see that...

Sights and grip panels they might give a pass on, anything more...nopenopenope.
Old April 20, 2014, 10:49 PM   #11
gyvel

Ruger is employing a very smart marketing technique: Do something for a customer that costs Ruger little or nothing and get untold $$ worth of free positive publicity.

Too bad other companies don't follow suit.
Old April 20, 2014, 11:04 PM   #12
colbad

I too have to admit that the few times I had to work with Roger on a repair or replacement part they have been the epitome of customer service. Of course some of the QA should have been addressed before leaving the factory, but they went out of their way to make it good for me. The exceptional customer service made me overlook the original defect.

This experience directly resulted in at least three more purchases and a couple more on the horizon. Fixing nickel and dime defects painlessly and generally free results in hundreds of dollars or repeat business that a disgruntled customer would take else where. Exceptional business model!

Last edited by colbad; April 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old April 22, 2014, 10:38 PM   #13
Sierra280

Agreed, Ruger has exceptional customer service!

Years ago I got a used Blackhawk 357, it came with an extra set of custom grips but no screws for any grips!! [previous owner had lost them] I called ruger and asked about ordering some (I was ready to pay) but before I knew it, they had some in the mail to me for the price of FREE.
Old April 25, 2014, 07:55 PM   #14
C5rider

Quote:
Years ago I got a used Blackhawk 357, it came with an extra set of custom grips but no screws for any grips!! [previous owner had lost them] I called ruger and asked about ordering some (I was ready to pay) but before I knew it, they had some in the mail to me for the price of FREE.
Sierra,

Same situation. I had a 45 Colt Blackhawk, bought used. Had original style grips but no grip screw. I sent it in for another issue and asked if they could install (and charge me for) a grip screw. They sent another set of new grips!

And, they didn't charge me for the other work either.

THAT, is why there's now a Redhawk to go with my Blackhawk!
Old May 5, 2014, 10:08 AM   #15
coldbeer

I'm glad your experience with Ruger customer service was better than mine. My SR22's slide sits crooked on the frame. It looks like the frame is warped so I sent it back for repairs and they returned it in the exact same condition as I sent it. They didn't fix anything.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:29 PM   #16
JD0x0

Glad to hear it worked out. I am often reading stories like this from Ruger CS. They seem to take care of their customers.
Old May 6, 2014, 03:08 PM   #17
Guv

I had a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk that the loading gate would come open with hot loads sometimes. It went back and in no time at all returned, all free of charge and functioning perfect.
Old May 7, 2014, 05:44 AM   #18
jmr40

Are you certain they put a new slide on it and did not just refinish the one you sent in. Either way it would be great CS, but the P85 has been out of production for 25 years. It is pretty common for guns sent to Ruger to be returned in as new condition. I've heard of many guns being re-blued. They also replace any worn parts

Sometimes this is a bad thing. Any aftermarket parts are removed and replaced with new factory parts even if there is nothing wrong with them. Sometimes the aftermarket parts are returned with the gun, sometimes not.

Glock does the same BTW. I live about an hour from Glock in Smyrna. 3-4 years go I carried 6 Glocks there belonging to myself, friends and family to have night sights installed. I dropped the guns off, drove over to Bass Pro Shop, ate lunch and returned in the early afternoon. Glock installed the sights, replaced all springs, extractors, and any other small parts in each gun. They also test fired and cleaned each gun. Total cost for the sights and everything else was $60 each. Slides would have been refinished if needed.
Old May 8, 2014, 09:12 AM   #19
spanishjames

Pics, or it didn't happen.