The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 17, 2010, 04:07 AM   #1
5RWill

Good Magazine harness and body armor.

Any ideas or brands to look at for body armor and mag harnesses for pistol and rifle? For mag harness i've been looking at the BCM 03 design group harness. I would like a harness that holds 6 mags instead of 4 but i would take 4. Then comes body armor, i don't exactly want to pay out the ass for it but that being said it is body armor and i want it to do the job if that time ever comes.
Old August 17, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
Then comes body armor, i don't exactly want to pay out the ass for it but that being said it is body armor and i want it to do the job if that time ever comes.
If what time ever comes?

-Bruce Lee
Old August 17, 2010, 03:04 PM   #3
5RWill

Worst comes to worst someone breaks in and I get shot. That would be the time I'm talking about.
Old August 18, 2010, 11:33 PM   #4
shooter_john

Not to knock your desire for preparedness, but do you really expect to have the time to put armor on if worse comes to worst in the scenario you described?

I myself am a LEO and have a few vest within a pace or two in my bedroom, but getting a vest on does not make my top five even when cosidering what I'd be concerned with if someone were to break into my house (while occupied).

1. quickly assess the situation (where is the threat going to be coming from, and what is it)
2. gun
3. arm the wife and direct to strategic cover within the bedroom, or whatever room we'd happen to be in, and get her on the phone (one, two, and three can be done in 5-10 seconds... Very precious seconds)
4. eliminate the threat in the most appropriate manner, or get to my kids and secure them, depending on which I encounter first

If I'm facing an "Assault on Precinct 13" type takeover, I'll worry about armor... One or two guys breaking into my house, SPEED, SURPRISE, and VIOLENCE of ACTION.

You know your house, bad guy does not...

As for mag pouches, Blackhawk has some good MOLLE pouches and carriers, as do a plethora of other companies. Condor/ Voodoo Tactical and a few others make Blackhawk/ Eagle/ Tactical Tailor knock offs that are still pretty well made and can stand up to a certain amount of abuse. You probably would never really need a $300-400 rig just to have in the house for "just in case". You could probably just as easily get away with a nice "go bag".

Last edited by shooter_john; August 18, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old August 18, 2010, 11:38 PM   #5
TheGoldenState

The body armor in reference to a home invasion/break in is a little unrealistic. Unless, i guess, if you have the vest by your gun at your bedstand but….
Old August 19, 2010, 12:00 AM   #6
5RWill

Ya i understand it is taking time out of the fight putting a vest on, when i could be doing all those things you listed. If i were to ever get a vest or have one it would be ready to go by my HD weapon. I guess my interest in body armor is, i tend to see things with the glass half Empty. So my thinking is "what if i do get hit before i hit him?" But thats just me i understand your reasoning on not concerning with body armor.

Now to mag harness, i really want about 6 mags but most i look at are 4 or more. Ive been looking at BCM(180$), blackhawk, eagle tactical and all.
Old August 19, 2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
The body armor in reference to a home invasion/break in is a little unrealistic. Unless, i guess, if you have the vest by your gun at your bedstand but….
You could always sleep in it.
Old August 20, 2010, 05:56 AM   #8
THEZACHARIAS

Blackhawk and tactical tailor are my first votes (but I am biased here because those are the only decent brands Ive been able to get from either the Army or Air Force supply chains).

Body Armor would probably be more expensive than is really necessary. However, if you do end up buying some, get the model with MOLLE attachment points. No point adding the extra complication of a harness when you can attach magazine pouches straight to your vest.