The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 27, 2006, 01:38 PM   #51
Jack O'Conner

I'd head to Northern California. Specifically, the foothill counties north of the Sacramento sprawl. Northern California has truely great deer hunting. The Sierras contain vast alpine wilderness places to hunt mulies and black bears, yet I rarely saw another hunter. We lived there for 14 years; I got the impression that California is largely inhabited by urbanites that do not hunt and never will.

Wild boar can be hunted year round and uninhabited public lands around reservoirs are good places to hunt.

Black bears populations continue to grow each year but less hunters each year. This is a good situation for the motivated bear hunter.

Pheasant and waterfowl can be hunted at many refuges. We had great luck at the numerous Corps of Engineer lakes and surrounding lands.

Elk can be hunted in Oregon's coastal mountains. The non-resident rates are reasonable.

California has plenty of liberal minded folks. Show some wisdom and don't mention hunting or rifles at block parties with your neighbors. Simply join a local gun club and make new friends there.
Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; August 29, 2006 at 06:55 AM. Reason: error
Old August 27, 2006, 02:05 PM   #52
roy reali

More Game Than You'd Think

On the surface Nevada seems to be a lifeless and barren place. But I am learning it is anything but that.

A colleague at my job moved there from the Applachian region of Tennessee some fifteen years ago. He said he was from a very game rich part of the country. Being an avid hunter he was intially depressed by what he saw in the Silver State. He has since changed his tune. He said it has far more game then ever imagined.

Nevada has more game then most folks think. But as I have said before, its greatest resouce is space. Add that to a sparse population and you truly have a sportsman's paradise.
Old August 27, 2006, 02:38 PM   #53
maas

jack i still live here in northern california, and you described hunting here perfect. the only new problems is everyone from down south (sacremento and the bay area to san diego) is moving up here. the little town that i live in (well near im a country boy) has been in the 5000 to 6000 population since the 60's and now its at almost 10,000 in two years. the odd thing is i notice the houses and the cars but not the people. since they all work out of town they do all there shopping there and stay in their homes.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 27, 2006, 06:26 PM   #54
Death from Afar

You could of course move to New Zealand:

1/ No game season ( except waterfowl). At all. Hunt deer all year!
2/ More varmints than you can shoot in a lifetime. And no season.
3/ Pigeon shooting in abundence.
4/ Exotics like Thar and Chamois in the alps. And no season for any.
5/ 4 million people, of whom 1.2 million live in one city.
Old August 27, 2006, 06:29 PM   #55
Long-Goodbye

ok here is the plan

Idaho-Wyoming-Montana-Colorado

Those are my choices in that order.Now remember that I have to get my self through the police academy first.After that I will be looking for work in various security fields until I get settled into an area and study the state laws well enough to pass the Law Enforcement test and move into actual law enforcement.So I will let certain factors help me choose which of these four states to move to.I am a single man wanting to find a young woman to marry someday so that would be a factor as well.The right young woman could definitely sway me one direction or another.If any of you know any young women who would be interested in a 31 year old Conservative Christian republican I would love to communicate with her via e-mail or snail mail.I would also like to contact other people in these states just to make friends.We have this technology why not use it over the next year to get to know people.
Old August 27, 2006, 10:07 PM   #56
FirstFreedom

Dfa

did we mention we hate you?

I like those choices, long-goodbye. Mine would be something like Idaho-Wyoming-Montana-Utah-Colorado-Alaska-others.
Old August 28, 2006, 08:20 AM   #57
gunslinger1911ACP

Texas

No state income tax.
Plenty of hunting.
Gun-friendly.
The women.
Year-round golf.
Red State.
BBQ.

With two major airports (IAH and DFW) you can be just about anywhere in the US, Mexico, or Carribean in a few hours.
Old August 28, 2006, 09:55 AM   #58
ZeroJunk

Would be nice to be wealthy enough to have three or four homes around the country.Need to get my wife to work harder.
Old August 28, 2006, 04:06 PM   #59
Death from Afar

Quote:
did we mention we hate you?
You love me, really....wait till I tell you about our goat/deer/pig hunting trip planned in November......
Old August 29, 2006, 09:12 AM   #60
youp

Not Upper Michigan. The more that city people buy and post land to escape where they came from, the more they make it like where they came from.

My wife says they are like a male dog marking his territory with those orange and yellow signs.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:37 AM   #61
FirstFreedom

That's definitely a first

someone on a gun forum recommending folks move TO California. Now I've seen everything. You make some good points, Jack, and it *would* be a bit of a paradise from strictly a hunting perspective, but I like my EBRs as much as my hunting rifles, unfortunately, so Cali is out. Maybe living just across the border in Nevada (or Oregon) would be the ideal situation, if the out of state tags aren't too brutal. Does California have a Lifetime Non-resident hunting and fishing license? And if so, how much is it? Maybe you could live there for a couple months, get a utility in your name, buy a lifetime resident license, then move across to Nevada! Hmmm. Does Calif even have lifetime resident licenses?

Quote:
You love me, really....wait till I tell you about our goat/deer/pig hunting trip planned in November......
Arrrrrrgghhhh!
Old August 29, 2006, 01:50 PM   #62
roy reali

Go Ahead

I was born in California. I spent almost five decades living there. I have spent just barely five weeks in Nevada. There is no comparison between the two states when it comes to gun rights and personal freedom.

One state is closer to the "American" ideal of the way we are suppose to live. Guess which state?
Old August 29, 2006, 02:01 PM   #63
springmom

Texas, of course.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old August 29, 2006, 04:12 PM   #64
FirstFreedom

roy reali

Can you answer any of my questions?

Quote:
Maybe living just across the border in Nevada (or Oregon) would be the ideal situation, if the out of state tags aren't too brutal. Does California have a Lifetime Non-resident hunting and fishing license? And if so, how much is it? Maybe you could live there for a couple months, get a utility in your name, buy a lifetime resident license, then move across to Nevada! Hmmm. Does Calif even have lifetime resident licenses?
Thanks.
Old August 29, 2006, 05:06 PM   #65
Scorch

Long-Goodbye-
You've decided, now do it. Good choices, by the way. Enjoy the adventure!!
Old August 29, 2006, 05:19 PM   #66
smooks75

FirstFreedom

All my friends who have done that have been caught. CA is a little smarter than that...but not by much!!!
Old August 29, 2006, 05:34 PM   #67
870 wingmaster

New Hampshire!!!
Old August 29, 2006, 06:45 PM   #68
remjeep75

Pennsylvania