The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Clay

Basic start up costs?

Hey guys. I'm sure the question has been asked a few times, but I haven't found any yet. I've got the "ABC's of Reloading" on the way, and have read the sticky post up top so I'm not looking for WHAT to buy. I'm just wondering what to budget for the overall cost. I want quality equipment, but I don't need fancy things. I just don't want to find myself buying something again because the quality wasn't good enough. Thanks for the input guys.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:05 PM   #2
rwilson452

So, tell us what you think you want to buy. Single stage, Turret, Progressive? What do you want to do with it? Shoot Comp. at 1000 yards. General range stuff? rifle, pistol? Prices vary. We could be talking $300 to over $1000. you just got to be more specfic.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Kyo

single stage- where you insert 1 die to do one job at a time.- less than 100 for the press. For example, you would deprime all your spent cases using the de-capper die installed in the press
turret-3-4 hole turret. Lets you pick, if you want to do single stage, or you can turn it to do multiple things at once. For example- my 4 hole turret press, has 4 holes for all 4 dies that I have. One pull of the lever switches the die placement so I can decap, size/charge, seat my bullet, and then crimp it/final size it.
These run from 100-200 I believe- depending on what you get with it.

Then, there are progressive ones. They do 4-5 things at once with each lever pull. You can crank out LOTS of ammo/hour with them, but if there is 1 mistake, then you are frozen until its fixed. I never had experience with these, and I don't think I want to personally(your mileage may vary!!!)
Over 200- over 1000 bucks.

I can't justify spending the price of a new gun on reloading, so I stayed in the middle with the turret press.
Then comes your dies. Usually, dies will run you from 50-100 anyway no matter what press you get.
primers are 30-50 bucks a box for 1000
powder can range from 20-30/pound of powder.
bullets can run from 70-150/1000 shipped to you, depending on what caliber you are reloading.

my suggestion is read some other threads to get an idea of what your looking for
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Atroxus

I recently started reloading with the Lee Anniversary kit and I would highly recommend it for any beginner. Here is a list of what I purchased.

ABCs of reloading
Lee anniversary kit
calipers
case guage
2 plastic loading blocks
bullet puller
lee carbide pistol dies(9mm luger)
1000 unfired winchester brass
1000 115gr lead RN bullets from missouri bullets
1 pound winchester W231 powder
1000 winchester small pistol primers

All that cost me a little over $400

You may want to start with a smaller amount of brass, or if you have already been stocking brass you may not need to buy any. The new brass alone cost me $160, but I plan on reusing it a lot as I am only loading light target loads. Buying once fired brass is also an option if you want to lower that cost some. You may want to get a tumbler, but personally I think that is optional since there are other ways to clean brass.

I got my load data from the hodgdon data loading data center web site. So far it is going great, I have loaded/fired 200 rounds so far, and am working on my next batch of 200 currently. I just need to add powder and bullets and I will be ready for my next range visit. If you know anyone that reloads talk to them and see if they will mentor you. If not just ask lots of questions on forums like this on.(it's what I did)
Old December 6, 2009, 09:51 AM   #5
mongoose33

I started reloading 15 months ago.

You can get OK kits that include most of what you need, using a single-stage press.

IMO a single-stage is a good place to start, as I believe it's the best way to learn. You isolate each step of the reloading process as you learn it so there aren't multiple variables you have to fight through.

You'll also want a single stage for reloading rifle rounds, pulling bullets, working up test loads for new bullet/powder/brass combinations, and the like.

A turret press is faster as you don't have to keep replacing dies to do different operations, but also IMO if you're going that way, get a progressive press. You have one pull of the handle for each round produced on a progressive; you have to pull the handle every time you do a different operation on a turret.

A previous poster indicated some concern about if there's a mistake on a progressive, things are frozen until you work it out. Well, that's the case with a turret, or a single-stage press, so I don't see it as relevant.

I have the Hornady Lock n Load progressive. It's good, and it's reliable. I can crank out quite a bit of ammo with it (handgun primarily), but I like to load at a more comfortable rate of maybe 300 rounds per hour. That's 300 pulls of the handle; any non-progressive press will require 900-1200 pulls for the same number of rounds.

If you do or plan to do a lot of handgun shooting, I believe you will want a progressive at some point.

I chose the Hornady LnL because it is generally equivalent to the Dillon 550B (also a great press), but is cheaper when you include the 1000 free bullets you can get from Hornady with their "Get Loaded" offer. I received $200-worth of bullets after I bought mine, making the effective cost significantly less than the Dillon.

Naturally, budget issues drive one's purchasing choices, but one thing I learned (and regret) is not buying the best equipment I could at the outset. Get the best you can.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Clay

I still haven't gotten my "ABC" book yet so I have no idea what the difference is between one press and the other. I don't need one that can "do it all" though. I look at it like this. I and my son race motorcycles. You basically have to be a mechanic to do this unless you're rich. You're always working on something. Well, a standard socket wrench is a must. After years I finally got myself an electric impact wrench. It's a wonderful thing. However, though it makes things much easier at times, it's not "needed". I want what's "needed", but will spend the money it takes to have "QUALITY" equipment.

I will be loading pistol and rifle, mostly 9mm, 45 and .308. Eventually as my collection grows, maybe more. I've been shooting around 200 rounds a week and have brass already. I'm not too happy with the cost though, so reloading is a must!

Thanks for the help guys. So far I've found this site very helpful and friendly...and most are right wing nuts like myself. LOL
Old December 6, 2009, 11:05 AM   #7
rwilson452

Just to give you fair warning, IF you start to reload you will not save any money. You will shoot more. If your doing 200 rounds a week now expect to shoot 400 a week after you get in the groove.

Another warning. Reloading is very addictive and there is no known cure.

From what your describing, I think your looking at a turret press. The Lee Classic Cast would be a good thing to look at.

The folks at:
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/

These folks can put together all the stuff you will need. I would suggest you buy the components locally especially powder and primers as the shipping fees will jump the price quite a bit.

Add: Once you really addicted then go on line and buy in bulk. then there is a savings.
Old December 6, 2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Tony C

Turret Press

I have been reloading for just shy of 12 months, strictly pistol and mostly within that .45 Auto. I purchased a Hornady Lock and Load single stage press and love it, but the turret press would have made it quicker to reload the rounds for a competition morning.

I find myself already trying to talk myself into getting another press to speed things up some.

And the accusation that reloading won't save money is ABSOLUTELY correct. Per round I do save money, but as the prophet RWilson452 states, I just plain shoot more, therefore save no money (hope my wife doesn't put that together).

If you are going to focus mostly on pistol, then you may be happier in the long run with a turret press.

Tony C
NW Oregon
Old December 6, 2009, 01:07 PM   #9
hornady

Reading the above post got me to thinking. Single stage. Turret. Progressive. I have loaded 11 different rounds now for over 40 years on a single stag Pacific press. One of my brothers has the Hornady LNL. The other a Redding boss. I have a couple friends that have Dillions and Hornady LNL. The funny thing . I like reloading and casting Bullet. And enjoy the time I spend doing it. I am retired now and have plenty of time. So I load and shoot A lot more than the Guys with the LNL or Dillions. But they have full time jobs and kids. Last year for Christmas My brother talked my wife into a LNL for me. I found out, And had her get Me an RCBS charge master instead. I think this is the problem with Recommending a press. I don’t mind spending Hours in front of the press. Others with time restraints , May just want to knock out bullets. I would say get good quality equipment. I know a lot of guys swear By the Lee package deals. My opinion. Lee is the yugo of reloading Equipment. Not really made for the long haul. You can buy a Stanly screw driver at Wal-mart or a Craftsman at sears. Both will take out a screw. One is made for life. the other is not.
Old December 6, 2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Clay

So guys, help me out here with the total "start up cost" of your plan.

This hobby sounds too much like racing to me. My wife will be elated. LOL
Old December 6, 2009, 03:01 PM   #11
amathis

$200 for 2 single stage presses, scale, powder drop, trimmer, 15 sets of dies, and various other stuff. Found it all on craigslist. Add in components and you've got your price.

Look used if you're not sure about the whole deal. I love my single stages for my rifles, not sure how much I'm going to like them when I do my handguns.
Old December 6, 2009, 04:39 PM   #12
jal5

I definitely agree with amathis...look for used equipment both here, on various other forums, craigslist, even ebay (watch out there the prices can almost be as much as new!). I started about a year ago and estimate I have spent about $250 now but its all Lyman, RCBS equipment plus 1 or 2 Lee die sets. I am reloading for 4 pistol and 2 rifle calibers.

Start with single stage press, it helps to learn to do things methodically and not make mistakes! I think the only brand new thing I bought was a bullet puller, several shell holders and a loading block. Your savings with be at least 30-40% compared to new, just my estimation I never really figured it out. But I know I have better equipt. than I could have purchased if I bought it all new.

just my 2 cents,

Joe
Old December 6, 2009, 05:13 PM   #13
reloader28

I saw a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit a few days ago that included everything except a trimmer for $300. There were no dies or shell holder of course but thats the way I would go. I've tried Lee and they feel pretty cheap so I dont use them anymore.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:31 AM   #14
Lost Sheep

Get started for $35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
So guys, help me out here with the total "start up cost" of your plan.

This hobby sounds too much like racing to me. My wife will be elated. LOL
Welcome to the forum, Clay.

If cost is a deal-breaker, you can get a Lee Load-All for less than $35. Add a chunk of wood and a mallet (not a hammer, a mallet) and you can start crafting ammunition for a minimal investment.

You an get a first-class loading setup for under $300, though. Press, scale, dies, a few other peripherals. That's the price of about 12 boxes of ammunition? You could break even (not counting the time you take to manufacture the ammo) in as few as 20 boxes.

When I first started reloading for .357 Mag, I could load for a nickle a shot. Of course, retail commercial ammo was only 20-25 cents a shot back then. The 1:4 ratio still probably holds, but there are neat calculators on the web that will run the numbers for you, such as this one:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
or, if the link does not work, paste this into your web browser
handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

or just do an internet search on the phrase "Cost of reloading" or "reloading cost" or phrases like that. There is even one that has a downloadable EXCEL spreadsheet you can use offline.

Keep in mind that the brass casings can be re-used 5 to 20 times, depending on the stresses to which they have been subjected.

Good Luck.

Lost Sheep
Old December 7, 2009, 06:36 AM   #15
Clay

Thanks for the tips guys. I was looking through the offerings over at Midway last night and based on price and comments, the Hornaday LNL kit looks to be a great investment. I think single stage might be best to start with. I'm surprised by the cost, I actually thought it would be significantly more. Now...I'm ready for my book to get here!
Old December 7, 2009, 07:36 AM   #16
alloy

My mainly ebay start up cost...
Hornady case trimmer slightly used(mainly for rifle cases) 57.00
RCBS little dandy pistol powder measure new 25.00
couple of rotors for above 5-10 bux each used
Hornady LNL rifle powder measure new 70.00 (100 bullet rebate was a bonus)
Pacific/Hornady M scale used 14.00
RCBS universal hand primer new 60.00
Used Lyman tumbler 46.00
Used Wilson case gage 15.00 for one rifle caliber
3 new sets LEE dies at 30-35 each
Couple of used manuals about 15 each
Two used Lee single stage presses 25-29 each
New funnel, case chamfer, primer pocket cleaner, flash hole tool, case neck brush total about 45.00

Media for tumbler 17 at Petco
Rifle lube pad and case lube RCBS bout 17.00
Already had Mititoyo calipers
Some tupperwear type containers
That was my initial set up last year for two pistol cartridges and one bottleneck rifle, for either pistol only or rifle only some of that isn't needed(and I could have bought the pistol rotor for the LNL powder measure and not bought the Little Dandy stuff, or reloaded only pistol and not bought the Powder measure, case gage, and case trimmer. For a week or two I reloaded rifle with only the scales. The tumbler was also bought after I was already shooting reloads.
Now I've added a few more calibers for the price of each die set and already having primers and powder etc...it's starting work nicely. Have added a few more tools and a chrono...but the initial set-up got me into it fully and shooting the first 3 calibers.
It is definately not like racing, it pays me back somewhat. Good luck.

Last edited by alloy; December 7, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 11:31 AM   #17
rbf420

for me getting started in reloading and hand cast bullets and for EVERY little thing that you actually need and well dont need cost me about $1,300. but after this week i will already have saved roughly $300 in the first 2 months of reloading. its a money saver! but initial start up is a pain. make sure you get everything u need in one big order or ur spending an extra $100 in shipping
Old December 8, 2009, 12:30 PM   #18
Dodge DeBoulet

I'm starting from scratch, but after doing a lot of reading and lurking on reloading forums, I assembled a Christmas wish list for my wife that consisted of the Hornady LNL AP as the centerpoint. With all peripheral equipment (dies, case tumbler, media extractor, reloading manuals, bullet puller, scale, etc) the equipment list totaled out at $790 including shipping.

I've also ordered 2K cast lead bullets, 3lb of powder, and 10K of SP primers, adding $519 to the total (costs include shipping and hazmat where required).

Shooting 150 rounds per week with .40S&W 180gr FMJ Federal Champions from Walmart, I'm currently spending close to $50/wk on ammo. That's $2,600/yr.

Based on my calculations, reloading will bring my ammo costs down to about $17.50/wk, or $900/yr . . . a savings of $1500/yr.

And with the Hornady LNL AP, I can reload a month's worth of ammo in an hour
Old December 8, 2009, 12:39 PM   #19
A_Gamehog

I reload for accuracy not just to save $$$$

I don't reload Pistol ammo bucause it's one thing I don't shoot much, as I bought large quanitys years ago cheap. Factory ammo was cheap once.

If I shot Handguns more I would get a progressive press "Dillon"or Hornady LNL, and that would justify the expense. Shooting high volumes of ammo would eventually work out to be cheaper

If you want accuracy for Varmit/Target loads using a rifle the single stage is better. During the winter months I hand load 200-300 each week for the next summer's P-Dogs and Squirrels. The Redding, RCBS, Lee, Hornady companies all make a good one for over 100+$

You will be frustrated buying componets now due to the shortages of Primers and Powders. I see it getting better but always plan ahead$

I reload for the satisfaction achieved in shooting and hitting what I wanted, Coyote, Squirrels, P-Dogs, Deer, Elk all have a "Load" I worked up just for them. I spare no expense to achieve accuracy because for most of us it's an Obsession. You shop for the componets, assemble, test, verify, document.
Once you have recipies to use in your gun they become priceless until the weapon expires (shot out the rifiling)

The progressives are great but no national Rifle/Olympic class Champion uses them for match loads. They use custom Single stage Presses. Pistol ammo is different, the accuracy of Pistols does not approach that of rifles so anything goes. Literally.

Quanity or Quality which one matters most?

I would sacrafice speed for accuracy and longer barrel life. Some won't sacrafice speed for any reason.
I caution what loads you get here on the internet because the book loads are always safer. There are a few guys loading here with Quickload software willing to advise you in a choice of powder and bullet selection once you have the basics down pat.

Your goal should be to retain all your fingers and both eyes! you need them....

Last edited by A_Gamehog; December 8, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 06:33 PM   #20
chris in va

I'll chime in.

Lee Hand Press
Ebay electronic calipers
Lee 4 die set
Old used Redding beam scale
Tray
Lyman manual
Used kinetic bullet puller (for my mistakes)

Came out to roughly $120. Not the fastest setup in the world, but I can sit there watching The Departed in my easy chair while decapping a bunch of 9mm.

And Dodge DeBoulet, love the name.

Quote:
Based on my calculations, reloading will bring my ammo costs down to about $17.50/wk, or $900/yr . . . a savings of $1500/yr
...and if you want to bring that cost down by another 60%, cast your own boolits. Did this in three hours.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Clay

Can you shoot lead bullets from any kind of barrel though? I thought you had to do something to the barrel. If you can make bullets like that though, I'll be all over it eventually!
Old December 8, 2009, 07:38 PM   #22
Clay

Yes, another reason I plan to load my own is so I can use those fancy bullets for the .308. The cost of loading your own in rifle is massively different than buying factory ammo! I'll finally be able to "somewhat" afford those sweet Hornady bullets.
Old December 9, 2009, 06:59 AM   #23
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_in_va
I'll chime in.

Lee Hand Press
Ebay electronic calipers
Lee 4 die set
Old used Redding beam scale
Tray
Lyman manual
Used kinetic bullet puller (for my mistakes)

Came out to roughly $120. Not the fastest setup in the world, but I can sit there watching The Departed in my easy chair while decapping a bunch of 9mm.

And Dodge DeBoulet, love the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Based on my calculations, reloading will bring my ammo costs down to about $17.50/wk, or $900/yr . . . a savings of $1500/yr
...and if you want to bring that cost down by another 60%, cast your own boolits. Did this in three hours.
That's next on my list . . . baby steps, baby steps
Old December 9, 2009, 11:24 AM   #24
Uncle Buck

RCBS Rockchucker

The Rockchucker is what I started with and still use. I bought the kit ($250) and already had the dial calipers I needed in the tool shed.
Dies on e-bay are cheep enough, but watch the shipping cost. Some of my dies I bought on eBay and were not available through my gun shop for a reasonable price.
I would also recommend a single stage to get started with. I like the RCBS press and their company customer service is great. I had a friend who bought some RCBS equipment on-line and when he got it, it was missing parts. He called the customer service department and they sent him the stuff he was missing for free.

Go to EBay and type in RCBS.

Like the other posters say, you will not save any money reloading, because you will be shooting more.

It can become addictive. I started loading one pistol round because of the scarcity of it and the price when I could find it. Now I load for three pistols and three rifles.

Have fun and welcome to the great world of reloading.
Old December 9, 2009, 11:57 AM   #25
Doodlebugger45

If you do it in small steps it doesn't seem so expensive. I took the plunge because I simply couldn't buy 45 Colt ammo anywhere for any price. My first purchase I bought a Lee single stage press, a Speer loading manual, a scale, powder trickler, loading block, and hand primer all for about $140 or so as I recall. They had no dies, primers, or powder for the 2 calibers I wanted to start with, but that gave me plenty of time to read the manual. Finally after a month I came across some .357 dies along with some primers and a can of Unique, so that was another $80 or so and I was off to load my first ammo. Another month or so and I scored some 45 Colt dies and some large pistol primers and a can of W231 and VOILA! I was then able to finally have some 45 Colt ammo. It seems like every month you find something else that you want to add, like maybe a powder dispenser, or different bullets, more brass, or you elect to buy the dies for yet another caliber. But you can add these things slowly over time, spending maybe $100 or so each month and before you know it, you have a great setup. The point is though, that for around $200 - $300 on the initial outlay, you can be in business to turn out some fine ammo.