The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2009, 02:05 PM   #1
arfan

Lead bullets same as FMJ bullets when reloading?

Folks, I will soon be receiving some 9mm lead bullets. Is it ok to follow the same powder specs as for the FMJ bullets that I've loaded in the past? Other words - Is a 115 gr FMJ bullet the same as a 115 gr lead bullet (same diameter) when it comes to reloading powder specs?
Thanks!
Old November 12, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Foxbat

No, it is not, and you should simply find the manual with the lead bullets data - pretty much every book has it.
Old November 12, 2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Krieger9

Not even close

The pressure difference and velocity is precisely what the jacketing intended to create/handle.

I've never loaded lead bullets, but if memory serves me well the difference is like 1/2 or even less for lead.

That's not real data, just saying big big deal that swap is.

Also lead bullets will treat your barrel different and leave residue far greater than jacketed bullets will.
Old November 12, 2009, 02:50 PM   #4
mongoose33

No, they are not the same.

Lead bullets require a lower powder load than FMJ of the same design.

Make sure you get some good reloading references, and work up your loads as per usual.
Old November 12, 2009, 03:55 PM   #5
BigJimP

Another no - and check your manuals ......

in fact some plated bullets, like Berry's and Rainier Ballistics suggest you use lead loading data to load their plated bullets as well ...... vs harder, true jacketed bullets like Montana Gold.
Old November 12, 2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Russ5924

When changing any component it is best to start over and work your way back up to what you like
Old November 12, 2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Crosshair

It depends, as a general rule lead bullets require less powder than their jacketed counterparts to reach the same velocity.

However some lead bullets cannot be driven as fast as jacketed as their metal is too soft, limiting how much pressure your loads can generate.

Hodgdon's website has some good lead loading data.
Old November 12, 2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Shoney

You really should get a manual or three. If not there ore many onlind data sources shuch as
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old November 12, 2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I've never loaded lead bullets, but if memory serves me well the difference is like 1/2 or even less for lead.
General trends leave it at about 10% less powder charges compared to FMJ data.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 12, 2009, 10:17 PM   #10
DaveBeal

Quote:
in fact some plated bullets, like Berry's and Rainier Ballistics suggest you use lead loading data to load their plated bullets
Rainier does state that you should use lead bullet data, but Berry's suggests using low to moderate jacketed loads.

Quote:
Lead bullets require a lower powder load than FMJ of the same design.
I know that load data for lead bullets generally specifies smaller power charges than for jacketed because lead bullets produce less friction in the barrel, so lead requires less powder. But is it unsafe to use jacketed data for lead bullets? I would think that for a given powder charge, a lead bullet would develop less maximum chamber pressure than a jacketed bullet, because it moves more easily through the barrel. Am I missing something?
Old November 12, 2009, 10:33 PM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

You will often find lead and jacketed data overlap. For instance a start or mild load for jacketed may be a heavy or max load for lead. Like Tuttle said...it is about 10% less for lead as a general rule of thumb.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old November 12, 2009, 11:31 PM   #12
Crosshair

Quote:
But is it unsafe to use jacketed data for lead bullets?
Probably the only way it could be actually dangerous to do so is if the bullets would WAY oversize.

If you go with the starting data the worst that will likely happen is massive leading in the bore and/or crap accuracy.
Old November 13, 2009, 01:23 AM   #13
Lost Sheep

What about leading?

Aside from how much powder to use (and how much velocity to try for), there is some caution to exercise about leading, especially in Glocks, apparantly because of the type of rifling they use. (Some shooters who reload lead bullets for their Glocks buy aftermarket barrels with standard rifling.)

Anyone with first-hand knowledge want to weigh in here? I don't own or shoot a Glock or anything with polygonal rifling. I have read a few threads on the subject and there is some controversy, with some saying it is fine and others saying it is risky.

Good luck and good shooting and don't pinch your fingers in your press.

Lost Sheep.
Old November 13, 2009, 04:08 PM   #14
jimvac49

What about leading?

I own a Daewoo in 40 S&W (actually a very nice gun!). It has polygonal rifling. When I first got it, I shot some cast lead loads in a match.
Results were HORRIBLE! Lead was plated the length of the barrel. Took a long time to clean even with a Lewis Lead Remover. Now it only sees jacketed or plated bullets.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:12 PM   #15
troy_mclure

if you want expert info on cast boolits go here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 13, 2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Edward429451

There is a trend toward fatter bullets, and hard cast that alleviates much leading problems, but it must be approached on an individual basis with the guns. You people who buy factory lead cartridges may be getting leading because they intentionally undersize. (whoops, who knows?). I bought some PMC factory cowboy loads for my 1895G when I bought it and it left tons of lead in my bore, I hated it. (bought it just for the brass mostly and because I had no reloads yet)
Old November 14, 2009, 03:11 PM   #17
arfan

Thanks To All

I'll follow your guidance... Thanks, this is a great site!
Old November 14, 2009, 07:55 PM   #18
chris in va

Plus, be sure that particular lead bullet will chamber in your gun. Make a dummy round first. I tried to load a TC lead bullet to recommended specs but ended up shortening my OAL quite a bit, and also had to drop my charge as well.
Old November 14, 2009, 07:58 PM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Very good point, Chris.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting