The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 23, 2020, 11:42 PM   #1
BJung

SKS sights and optics

Has cheap scopes or aperature sights improve your groups using your sks?
Old May 24, 2020, 05:42 AM   #2
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbank_jung View Post
Has cheap scopes or aperature sights improve your groups using your sks?
An optic or peep will usually improve groups on any rifle and improve the speed at which you acquire a target.

But to properly "scope" an SKS you must bolt a base to the receiver or it will not be stable. If you use a replacement dust cover/scope base it will move with every shot and your point of impact will move around. Some will disagree, but this has been my experience.

A peep sight is a better option but again must be anchored to the receiver. I would not want any aperture sight that must be removed every time you dissasemble the weapon for cleaning for obvious reasons, even if POI is unaffected.

The SKS is best left stock, IMO

One thing though, if you just want to improve your short range speed, one plane focus and possible better low-light performance you can mount a replacement dust cover and short tube, low power scope. Should be acceptable at around 50 yards or so. Just don't expect pin point accuracy at longer ranges.

Last edited by JJ45; May 24, 2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old May 24, 2020, 08:37 AM   #3
Cheapshooter

Not really. The SKS is a battle rifle, not a target rifle. The sights itcomes with are plenty good for what it was intended for.
like adding "parts" to make an SKS look like an AK47, adding optics in an attempt to make it a target rifle is a waste.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 24, 2020, 09:02 AM   #4
BJung

stock sights

Ok, I'll stick with the stock sights. Thanks
Old May 24, 2020, 12:17 PM   #5
2damnold4this

Quote:
If you use a replacement dust cover/scope base it will move with every shot and your point of impact will move around. Some will disagree, but this has been my experience.
^Mine too.
Years ago when I had an SKS, I tried a scope mounted to the dust cover. Sighting it in at 25 yards, I would shoot three rounds into a hole that could be covered by a nickel then I would fire two more shots into a hole that was two inches away as the dust cover shifted. With the factory open sights, I could keep all the shots in less than an inch at 25 yards and got four or five inch groups at 100 yards.
Old May 24, 2020, 02:38 PM   #6
BJung

When I first purchased my sks decades ago, I purchased one of those Chinese made dust cover scope mounts. I took two shot and felt something fall on my lap. It was the scope base. It broke off the dust cover with the scope. I never bought another scope base for the sks since.
Old May 27, 2020, 05:31 AM   #7
kymasabe

I added TechSights to one of my old SKS's, were an improvement, but I never found a clean, easy, reliable way to mount a scope on one, not sure I'd want to. SKS was built to hit man sized target, not bullseye accuracy. Don't expect too much from the gun or you'll be disappointed.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:55 PM   #8
BJung

Options

My purpose for a scope would be to reduce Shooter error for 100-200 yard test loads. I will just draw wide lines across my target to help line the sights up.
Old June 3, 2020, 09:37 PM   #9
imp

I mounted a scout mount and scope on my last SKS. The scout mounts are the only ones that are really solid, and if you put a scope on, you wont be able to use stripper clips. Not a problem if your using detachable magazines, but the big magazines seem to ruin the balance of the rifle.

I did manage to get group sizes down to about 3" @ 100 yards with a scope.
Old June 4, 2020, 05:05 PM   #10
DMK

I have a few SKS. Some are completely original, and some have Tech-sights.

The Tech sights definitely improve the rifle. I can put rounds on target not only more accurately, but I can get a sight picture faster when transitioning from one target to another. It's a lot of fun on steel gongs.

I'm a huge fan of aperture sights on a rifle.
Old June 5, 2020, 05:43 PM   #11
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I have a few SKS. Some are completely original, and some have Tech-sights.

The Tech sights definitely improve the rifle. I can put rounds on target not only more accurately, but I can get a sight picture faster when transitioning from one target to another. It's a lot of fun on steel gongs.

I'm a huge fan of aperture sights on a rifle.
I to am a fan of iron sights and especially peeps.... I have a Lyman 57 aperture rear on a custom US 1917 30-06 and XS sights on a Marlin 336 "Texan " 30-30. Both with flat top post fronts.

I once had a 1954 Tula SKS that I drilled the receiver and mounted a side mount aperture. Can't remember if it was a Lyman or Williams but sold the weapon a while ago I didn't have the carbine long but had the feeling the sight would eventually shoot loose unless somehow "welded" to the receiver.

Those Tech Sights are excellent and except for the adjustability factor, very similar to M1/M14 rear sights which, IMO, are second to none, But as I stated in my earlier post I wouldn't want a receiver sight that had to be removed every time I disassembled the weapon