The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 13, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Yellowfin

.338 Lapua = .50 BMG lite?

How is the .338 Lapua regarded these days? I see interest in .50 BMG and long range matches with them all the time these days and my reaction is OUCH on my wallet OUCH on my ears and OUCH on my shoulder from shooting the darn thing. How much better in those regards can I expect to see from going the next step down to the Lapua, and am I in the same company? It seems like those who get into the long range bug either professionally or not are all over this cartridge yet it doesn't have the mystique of being the most powerful single person portable rifle so the conversation doesn't seem to be as visible. Is it somehow gauche or just not as "Wow wee, look at what I've got" so not part of the clique?
Old October 13, 2009, 06:02 PM   #2
DBAR

No, not the same company. You are getting close though. The 338 Lapua is still a very powerful round, and it does reach out there, but not as far, and not with as much authority. I don't have the specs on both to illustrate what I'm trying to say, but I'm sure you've got to have some idea. The .338 is still not considered an anti material round while the .50 is.

DBAR
Old October 13, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Yellowfin

It seems like this round lends itself very, VERY strongly to reloading. The usual 20 to 50 cent savings for most rifle rounds look like a buck or two apiece on the Lapua. Anyone here have much to say on that?
Old October 14, 2009, 01:58 AM   #4
ADB

Come on, go all the way to the .50 BMG.

And then I'll be able to hear you from my house.