The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 20, 2020, 01:29 AM   #1
stagpanther

Corona projects

Home isolation has naturally led to more time to devote to firearms projects, one I've had in mind for a long time was upgrading many of my savages that have sat on Tupperware stocks for a long time.

Here is my very first Boyd's stock, an AT One which I bought on sale. Excellent design from what I can tell, though minor criticism I have is the cheap plastic trigger guard is really an insult to the otherwise nice execution.

I decided to install my new axis 22-250 into the stock "as-is" just to see how well it performs. I'm awaiting several tools to complete pillar and bedding. I'm also replacing the trigger guard and magazine catch with parts from V3 tactical. I have another Boyd's stock coming in for a 270 win long-action job. I removed the 2 front swivel studs since I like shooting off of bags. The base and rings will also be replaced eventually--this was just "make do for the time being." Scope is a vortex crossfire II--people really like them. I bought 2 on sale and I'm not especially impressed with the performance though I can see why people like them at their price point.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3035.jpg (106.3 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; May 20, 2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old May 20, 2020, 05:00 AM   #2
Bfglowkey

The AT One is a great stock and the AT One thumb hole is even more so for the off hand shooting enthusiasts. Many shoot plenty good without bedding of any sort.
Old May 20, 2020, 05:19 AM   #3
TJB101

For me it’s been tons of casting and reloading. I’ve got two ladder tests ready to go along with newly casted and loaded rounds in 9mm (95 and 130gr) along with some SWC for a few 357 rifles. When the ranges open I think I’ll be saying goodbye to the wife for a week or so.
Old May 20, 2020, 07:41 AM   #4
brasscollector

Which Crossfire II scope did you buy? I have had a 2-7, a 3-9x50, and a 6-18x. I got rid of the 18x due to horrid fish-eye and an extremely small eye box. Sure I could get a decent view through it from 6x up to about 10-12x but beyond that it was headache inducing for me. That's an interesting stock too, did it come with the adjustable butt pad?
Old May 20, 2020, 08:08 AM   #5
bedlamite

On the Vortex scopes, The Crossfires I've looked through have had glass I would describe as crap, Diamondback scopes have decent glass with tree trunks for reticules, Vipers are good all around, and Razors are excellent.
Old May 20, 2020, 08:16 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
I got rid of the 18x due to horrid fish-eye and an extremely small eye box
The very one. It gets the job done for now but will be replaced eventually. Adjustable buttpad and cheek riser are included, and different grips and foreends are also available.
Quote:
Many shoot plenty good without bedding of any sort.
Yeah, it looks like it would be OK for a bit, but just glancing at the action screw holes it's easy to see they are going to go and allow movement eventually, as will the stress on the mag plate and trigger guard holes. It does not come with pillar bedding, my guess is that they figure people will add it themselves for their own actions. The barrel channel is also pretty narrow--even the savage sporter barrel has barely a paper-thin clearance--and that's only when perfectly aligned. That's why I'm going to see what the difference is. The Tupperware stock the axis came with of course doesn't allow the full accuracy potential of the cartridge.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 20, 2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:43 AM   #7
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
The very one. It gets the job done for now but will be replaced eventually. Adjustable buttpad and cheek riser are included, and different grips and foreends are also available.
Yeah, it looks like it would be OK for a bit, but just glancing at the action screw holes it's easy to see they are going to go and allow movement eventually, as will the stress on the mag plate and trigger guard holes. It does not come with pillar bedding, my guess is that they figure people will add it themselves for their own actions. The barrel channel is also pretty narrow--even the savage sporter barrel has barely a paper-thin clearance--and that's only when perfectly aligned. That's why I'm going to see what the difference is. The Tupperware stock the axis came with of course doesn't allow the full accuracy potential of the cartridge.
On my Ruger Ranch rifle in a Boyd's at one stock. I used a one inch wood dowel wrapped in sand paper to open the barrel channel. Worked pretty well. Just like yours, my factory barrel was not even completely free floated in the Boyd's stock at first. It is now, and the barrel channel will allow a heavy varmint barrel without touching the stock.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old May 20, 2020, 10:48 AM   #8
kilotanker22

The Vortex Viper HST is an excellent optic for it's price range. Tracking on mine is perfect, glass is good and it is pretty lightweight for its size.

Better glass and turrets than the Athlon Helos as well as lighter weight. Better turrets than the Leupold VX 3I. And much more forgiving eye relief than the crossfire 2 you currently have.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old May 20, 2020, 01:45 PM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
One thumb hole is even more so for the off hand shooting enthusiasts
You mean kinda like this?

Scored a long range sporter for one of my long action axis rifles--stocky stocks has a sale on 'em. Feels superbe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3036.jpg (170.8 KB, 114 views)
Old May 20, 2020, 02:03 PM   #10
stagpanther

This is the stock that has kept me tossing and turning at night with anticipation--and it was just now delivered. It's an MDT LSS gen 2 with matching MDT AICS 12 round magazine destined for my 6mm BR build. I'm an AR guy at heart, so this project has me excited.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3037.jpg (231.9 KB, 100 views)