The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2020, 11:20 AM   #26
dmattaponi

Good choice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old May 10, 2020, 09:50 AM   #27
TomNJVA

My LCP II stays in its provided fabric holster and drops easily into cargo shorts pockets in the summer, or coat pockets in colder weather. I prefer to use the top pocket of cargo shorts for the LCP as opposed to the lower thigh pocket. Any weight in the thigh pocket tends to flop around when walking, but in the top pocket I forget it is there.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:00 PM   #28
tallball

In the cooler months I carry my LCPII (my fav of the tiny 380's) in the breast pocket of a flannel shirt. Yeah, it's that small, light, and easy to carry. That's an easy pocket to draw from.

If I am walking the dog I will carry a snub revolver in my back pocket, but in general I don't prefer carry in back pockets or hip pockets. Hip pockets are kind of awkward to draw from, and all but impossible sitting down. Back pockets, I don't want to sit on my handgun.

Most of the year I carry an LCR in the cargo pocket of pants or shorts. It's light enough that it doesn't make my shorts sway, and cargo pockets are easy to reach sitting and standing.

I don't have a 365, but I think my G43 is a similar size. I consider it to be more of a small belt pistol than a pocket pistol. To me it seems like it might be tough to wrangle out of a pocket in a hurry, though I admittedly haven't given it much of a chance in that role. I carry pistols that size OWB with a cover shirt sometimes and with no problems.
Old May 11, 2020, 04:25 PM   #29
jman841

Cool, yea it sounds like the LCP II is in it's own class. The P365 is def going to be easier to carry than my Glock 19, but still going to have similar constraints (IWB) vs. the LCP II seem extremely versatile and can be carried easily in a variety of ways, no matter the outfit/climate.

I'm not looking to go into combat, and hope to never have to use it, but in a defensive role, 6 rounds of .380 with modern JHP rounds should be enough to stand a chance much better than the Sig or my Glock 19 at home.

Plus, as I am new to concealed carry, I figure it's best to make it as easy as possible to develop the habit.

Now, just waiting for them to get back in stock at my local Bass Pro.
Old May 11, 2020, 07:46 PM   #30
TunnelRat

I don’t find the P365 hard or inconvenient to carry, but then again I carry a double stack most commonly. This varies a lot by person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 11, 2020, 08:00 PM   #31
jmr40

I have the Kel-Tec P3A-T. Basically the same gun as the LCP as well as the Sig 365 and a Glock G43. The Sig is a little bigger than the Kel-Tec, but I don't have any issues carrying it IWB and out of sight. The upgrade in cartridge and ammo capacity is well worth it to me. I can't remember the last time I carried the 380 anywhere.

Winston Churchill
Old May 15, 2020, 12:35 PM   #32
wild cat mccane

Until someone else says it, I will continue

The LCP II is almost as thick as the P365.

The LCP gen2 is where it's at. If it were P365 vs LCP II, I wouldn't immediately say LCP.
Old May 17, 2020, 08:02 AM   #33
wmg1299

I own both and switch between them for EDC. The P365 is ideal for IWB carry in any situation where an untucked shirt is appropriate. I carry the LCP II on days where I have to wear a suit because it easily fits in any pocket (suit jacket, front pants, or rear pants). The pocket holster that comes with the LCP II works perfectly and I have no issues with it hanging up during pocket draw. I also carry the LCP II when running.

The sights on the LCP II are significantly better than the original LCP, but the black-on-black can be a little hard to pick up. I painted the front sight orange, which helps a lot, but they are still nowhere near as good as the Siglite night sights on the P365. Both are excellent guns, but if I had to pick one strictly for concealed carry it would be the LCP II.
Old June 8, 2020, 04:35 PM   #34
capecuddy

I have the two calibers of LCP II and the M&P Shield in 9mm. Also from Florida (Venice) and I sunbird in Las Vegas. I tend to carry the LCP II 380 most due to its light weight and I use Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defense rounds to get penetration AND hollow-point-like wound channel in that small caliber. If I'm a bit more nervous about where I'm going (esp. Las Vegas) I'll put up with the M&P Shield extra weight for the extra bang.
Old June 9, 2020, 07:27 AM   #35
rodfac

I guess that the original poster was interested in a pocket carry pistol for very light clothing there in Florida.

Here in KY where the summer's are in the high 80's with matching humidity, the walk around the mall/town/farmer's market clothing choice is t-shirt, cargo shorts with belt, and what used to be called "sneakers". Aside from beach or pool wear, those clothing choices allow more concealment choices.

For those similarly attired, (t-shirt & cargos), I'd recommend the Sig P365 for it's "big gun" firing ease, accuracy, and just about 100% reliability, plus capacity. It'll work if you insist on AIWB carry, but I find a high-riding, quality OWB is as easy to conceal and presents no down side to carry and presentation. YMMv. (I'm not inclined to use an AIWB holster for the long-debated reasons: offers no real advantage in concealment while pointing at your vitals, and makes practice re-holstering a vital consideration from a safety standpoint, especially when the Adrenalin is pumping. This point of view will draw (no pun intended) cries of "Not So" from advocates, but seems readily evident to me.)

For the given choice of an LCP vs. a Sig P365, I'll always go for the gun that's a better shooting choice, then dress accordingly. Give these two choices, the Sig wins every time, and will do nicely out to 25 yds...mine's been outstanding close in, and will suffice for cranial, playing card sized groups, to 20 yds. Hard to question that kind of performance, with virtually equal conceal ability.

Best regards and good luck with your choice, OP. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 9, 2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old June 9, 2020, 08:52 AM   #36
wild cat mccane

If "sneakers" are out, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but cargos have been out before "sneakers"

-from you're friendly hip millennial
Old June 9, 2020, 03:16 PM   #37
jman841

Thanks for all the input! I decided on the LCP2 for a variety of reasons.

1. There are very few options that are more easy to conceal and the LCP 2 offers a very large range of options from pocket carry, IWB, OWB, Sneaky Pete holster that actually could pass for a cell phone case, etc.

2. Weight, the loaded weight of the LCP 2 is about 13 oz vs. 22+ for the Sig which really restricts any option of pocket carry and you need to "dress to carry" vs. the LCP being able to carry in almost any attire.

3. Availability, The local gun stores have not had a P365 in stock for a couple months now, I got the LCP 2 and it was half the price of the P365, although, .380 ammo is surprisingly expensive compared to 9mm, which I have a ton of.

4. If I am going to "Dress To Carry" There's a lot of firearm choices that are slightly larger than the P365 and offer the same benefits (9mm, good shooters, etc.) I can even carry my Glock 19 without much trouble if I intentionally dress to do so.

5. I will most likely purchase other sub-compact firearms in 9mm in the future, and possibly a P365 for when I can/want to carry a larger firearm, but none of them can compete with the tiny LCP 2 for easy of carry, and it's better to have a firearm than not have one.

Anyways, I took it to the range yesterday in stock configuration, It shot well, definitely very snappy in stock form and much harder to shoot than a larger 9mm pistol like my Glock 19, but performed well and I really like the trigger for it's size.

Here's a pic of it after getting the "upgrades" today.

Overall, very happy with my purchase! Def understand why someone would choose the P365, but for my situation, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_58881.JPG (59.0 KB, 439 views)
Old June 9, 2020, 03:37 PM   #38
tallball

Good choice. You can carry it in virtually any pocket of any piece of clothing.

If you are wearing "real clothes" you can can carry the P365 or dozens of other carry handguns.

The LPC and P3AT/P32 are pretty much in a class by themselves.
Old June 9, 2020, 05:49 PM   #39
FITASC

I have the LCP and the 365; the LCP while thin can be brutal to shoot more than a mag or two; the SIG is much nicer and more accurate. The LCP is better than harsh words, but 9mm in a gun the size of the 365 packs a nice punch without beating up the web of your hand
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 10, 2020, 01:13 PM   #40
jman841

Yea, I'm curious to see how it shoots with the talon grip on it and the 7 round mag, I have a feeling it will be much more comfortable.

But, there's not comparison in size. The LCP 2 gives me far more options to carry than the P365 would. I'm considering picking up a Taurus G2c to use for days when I can carry a larger gun, seems to be a really great carry gun for the money.

Has anyone tried the 13 lb recoil spring on the LCP 2? I read quite a few things that it makes it a much softer shooter as well. Just not sure I want to change recoil springs on a carry gun.
Old June 14, 2020, 07:37 PM   #41
frankt

I have both guns also. The LCP II is in my pocket always.

If I go out the 365 goes with me. It is a breeze to carry even here in Georgia where it is not often jacket weather.
I carry under a button up shirt untucked or a T shirt. Usually OWB but sometimes AIWB.
Old June 16, 2020, 10:33 AM   #42
jman841

Cool, For my first dedicated carry pistol, I think the LCP 2 was a great choice. I've decided to wait for the Taurus G3c to use as a 9mm larger carry pistol. Looks like they fixed the two things I wasn't happy about with the G2c (Trigger and sights). For the money, seems like an incredible pistol from the initial reviews.
Old June 18, 2020, 06:59 AM   #43
Carl the Floor Walker

I have been shooting Pocket guns for years and shoot them on a regular schedule. And I train with them just like a Range gun.
I have a standard rule. If I cannot shoot a gun for a minimum of 200 rds per session I will not own it.
Recently took a new Kahr p380 to the range shot 200 rds of ammo testing the gun. NOT once did I even think about recoil. It simply was not something that even came to mind
I shoot both the Pico and the Kahr all the time. Both very mild shooting guns and recoil is no issue. I have not shot my LCP in about a year. Just do not like the gun at all. Just unpleasant to shoot, especially compared to the others.

Old June 18, 2020, 07:51 AM   #44
jman841

Do you have the LCP or the LCP 2? I've shot both and now own the LCP 2, the LCP 2 is a MUCH better shooter, especially after putting the hogue grip on it.
Old June 19, 2020, 02:00 PM   #45
gnystrom

You ask an interesting question and I went with both because each has its advantages and disadvantages.
I find the P365 (I own two both bought two years ago) to be the best all-around carry pistol I have ever owned. That said, for me, it is not a pocket pistol as it is just a bit too big and heavy for anything but a cargo pocket and that is not for me at all. I do have a lot of success AIWB in all types of clothing even tucked in using my Kusiak or Vedder holster. While at work I carry OWB with a twelve round mag.

My little LCP II is tiny, light, and disappears in a pocket holster even in a pair of lightweight wool suit pants. I carry it most while on walks or on a quick trip to the store. I mostly use a Talon pocket holster and it fits perfectly in the back right pocket of my jeans. It came with a soft pocket holster that works perfectly and allows you to keep your hand on your gun when walking in a place you would rather not be. It is the perfect gun to carry when you cannot carry a gun.

The Ruger will require more practice but I find it easy to shoot accurately at 30". I recommend painting the front sight a shade of the color you choose which I found to be very helpful. I also recommend if you have large hands, a cheap set of Talon stick on grip wrap Not shown in my pic. They hade a huge difference for me.

To answer your question, I have a lot of guns so I say both. If you only want the gun for self-protection and wear a lot of different clothes, look closely at the Ruger LPC II but plan on a lot of practice both live fire and WITH EMPTY GUN drawing from concealment and dry fire.

Last edited by gnystrom; June 19, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old June 19, 2020, 05:50 PM   #46
jman841

Thanks for your input. I went with the LCP II and think I made the right decision as it is very easy to carry.

I may still pick up a Sig P365 or a different sub-compact 9mm pistol to carry when I want something more, but really happy I chose the LCP II.
Old June 20, 2020, 06:59 AM   #47
Forte S+W

Since this thread is still going, I'm going to throw in my 2¢.

I've been carrying an LCP since last Summer and I love it. It's ridiculously easy to carry, so easy in fact that it honestly requires more effort to leave it behind than it does to carry it because you can just slip it into a pocket and go.

To me, the SIG P365 is an interesting firearm in a "It's cool that they could make a 9mm that small that holds so many rounds" sort of way, but it's not a firearm that I would ever choose for carry. Yes, it fills a niche for those who specifically desire the smallest, lightest, highest capacity 9mm pistol around, but personally I'd sooner opt to carry a Ruger LC9s or a Glock 19. To me, the P365 just falls into a size category which is basically too big to pocket carry yet too small for IWB carry or to fit my hand nicely.

When it comes to EDC, I carry a Smith & Wesson SW40VE which is a compact pistol about the size of a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP as a backup. If I wanted something inbetween, then I would get a Ruger LC9s.
Old June 20, 2020, 07:24 AM   #48
jman841

After a ton of research, I've come to a similar conclusion. If I have to IWB carry, the slight size difference of the P365 vs. other subcompacts that are slightly larger doesn't seem to be of much benefit.

The LCP 2 on the other hand is small enough for much more carry options (Pocket, IWB, Sneaky pete, etc) and is really not comparable when it comes to ease of carry.

I do plan to get a 9mm sub-compact, but have not fully decided on which model yet and the P365 is loosing favor with options that are a bit larger. It seems many are now preferring the P365 XL over the P365 which then puts it's size back in line with many other options.
Old June 20, 2020, 07:40 AM   #49
TunnelRat

I don’t agree that the P365XL is in the same line as many other options. As someone that has carried a Glock 26 and a M&P 9c and other options as well the P365XL is notably slimmer. Originally I didn’t think it would make a difference. It does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 20, 2020, 07:59 AM   #50
TomNJVA

Quote:
To me, the SIG P365 is an interesting firearm in a "It's cool that they could make a 9mm that small that holds so many rounds" sort of way, but it's not a firearm that I would ever choose for carry. Yes, it fills a niche for those who specifically desire the smallest, lightest, highest capacity 9mm pistol around...
Actually not really a new concept. The Kel-Tec P11 and the SCCY CPX-2 both are 9mm semis with a 10+1 capacity, and both are smaller and lighter than the P365. They also sell for less than half the price of the P365. They may not compare to the Sig in other respects, but they are small, light, high capacity 9mm handguns.