The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 22, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1
johnelmore

The Best Pistol / Firearms / Pelican case padlocks

I wanted to get the very best padlocks for my cases. My Pelican 1560 case in particular has room for a 1/4 inch shackle. I went with the Abus 24IB/50 Diskus and the Abus 88/40 Granit series padlocks.

Some of my cases have room for two locks so I use one 88/40 and a 24IB/50. I figure two different locks might require two different ideas to open. Both locks are rated at 8 out of 10 on their security scale. I found no other locks which will fit my various cases that offer more security.

Just a footnote. All padlocks can be opened with bolt cutters. In the military they liked to use the American Lock which seemed really strong but it was opened all the time with large bolt cutters. Ive seen the highest rated padlocks with thick metal sheaths opened with cutters. However, when you are locking your cases the above locks are the best in my opinion, but padlocks in general are low security.

If you know of a better lock feel free to share with us. My cases fit 1/4 diameter shackles.
Old May 22, 2013, 02:17 PM   #2
johnelmore

Someone just told me about Master Lock No 7036 shrouded pro series. Another option...

I have those thick TSA locks by Sesamee which I use for when I travel on an airline, but those are really bad locks. As soon as I have my case back then I snap on the Abus.

I also utilize the thick Abus high security chain when I travel with the cases in a car. I lock the cases together and onto the inside body of the car and the spare. There are times when I have to leave the car, like for the bathroom, while traveling and this is a little bit safer.

Last edited by johnelmore; May 22, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 22, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
shuler13

The Best Pistol / Firearms / Pelican case padlocks

Good thread. That shrouded master looks good. I'd be interested in which is the best lock that would fit the Ruger 10/22 takedown backpack. If anyone has a good suggestion, I'm all ears (eyes).
Old May 22, 2013, 07:36 PM   #4
johnelmore

The Abus 24ib/50 Diskus is the best deal at $15 per lock on Amazon. The Abus 88/40 is nearly twice as expensive.

For my home defense case I use the Abus 170/40. This has a three digit combination and rated as a 5 out of 10 on the Abus scale. That also fits the Pelican case perfectly but its less security. I use it so I can have some security but still have quick access.

There are a bunch of locks on the Abus website.