The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2000, 09:17 AM   #1
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
I recently had my Parker restocked and the original buttplate didn't match up to the new blank (took over a year to find the blank). the smith said it was worth something, but how much I don't know.
What would such an item be worth?

[This message has been edited by TABING (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old October 26, 2000, 10:30 AM   #2
TABING

BTTT
Old November 1, 2000, 10:50 PM   #3
Oldlightning

Greetings from Texas. I have bought several Parker buttplates over time, and nice ones will sell from 10-25 dollars, maybe a bit more for a really good one. They turn up every so often in boxes of other buttplates cut off during the %&$&*^ buttpad addition, I've picked up several from old gunsmiths.
There are a couple different styles, differing mainly in the top spur and the artwork of the dog, and what he's got in his mouth. All are worth about the same.
If you decide to get rid of it, let me know. I've got a really nice GH Grade, but the plate is fairly worn from many, many trips to the shoulder. This might make a good replacement if it will fit the stock properly. Thanks, OL

------------------
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! - Adolf Hitler, 1935

[This message has been edited by Oldlightning (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 05:27 AM   #4
TABING

Thanks for the info. For that much money I think I'll just keep it as a momento of all the dove, quail and rabbits it's taken. I would have never restocked the gun but the original stock was broken when it got stepped on during a settlement argument with the "ex".
As mentioned above it took some time to find a semi-inletted repacement, $110. great wood though, and $500. for a master smith (Frank Wells of Tucson AZ) to fit, checker, and finish it. Great job, it looks beautiful, and though expensive, I didn't mind as I've had the gun since 1957, it was a gift, so now I have $610. in it, not bad for a Parker. Made in 1905, the barrels had been cut down to 27 inches before I got it.

[This message has been edited by TABING (edited November 07, 2000).]