The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 14, 2008, 08:26 PM   #1
ColonialGeneral

M1 vs. M2 Carbine

I have read somewhere on this website about the differences between an M1 and M2 Carbine.

Perhaps, I should have rephrased my questions to ask, who designed the M1 carbine, and who designed the M2 carbine?

Did the same person design these two rifles?

Also, some people have said that some M1s have come with some or many of the same parts that are in M2.

I realize that a $200 fee to private citizens to own these type of FA.

If in the past, CMP used some of the M2 parts, correct me if I am wrong.

Your comments appreciated.

Last edited by ColonialGeneral; July 15, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old July 14, 2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Stagger Lee

If the website says it, I would take it to mean that it is so. Bottom line: If you do not possess a legal, registered M2 carbine, then you should not have M2 carbine parts. Note also that the surplus parts suppliers will no longer sell you M2 parts unless you provide them with a copy of your Form 4 NFA paperwork proving that you own such a gun. Aside from that it probably doesn't make sense to publicly discuss possessing M2 parts and an M1 carbine on a public board any further.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:02 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

About the only parts you can have without raising an eyebrow are the 30-round magazine, the magazine catch (with the finger), the heavier (round bolt) and stock which was inletted for the extra parts. The key parts you shouldn't have the disconnector, disconnector spring & plunger, sear trip lever (or whatever they call it), the hammer, the selector switch and selector spring.

Last, concerning your inquiry as to "combination of parts," I'd leave that to the ATF.