The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 21, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Nero45

Gun safe recomendation

Ok I need to puchase a gun safe due to rules and reg of where I'm living. Here is what I need:
Hold at least 10 long guns.
Hold at least 20 hand guns of varous size.
Must be able more than just a deterant for someone who may robb my home.
Price must be good.
Fire restant?
Thank you.
Old March 21, 2008, 03:02 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Just stop by Gander Mtn. or Cabellia's they have a large selection of modern gun safes. Fire proof and theft resistant. TF
Old March 21, 2008, 04:22 PM   #3
williamd

AMESC (Amreican Security) has served me well and prices are better then the name brands. Just be sure it is DOJ approved ... especially if in CA.
Old March 22, 2008, 12:14 AM   #4
a1abdj

If you only need to use the top shelf, then you should plan on buying a 20 gun safe. If you need the additional shelf space, then you should look at something with a 30 gun capacity or higher.

You mentioned wanting something that can protect against burglary and fire, but you also mentioned soma good price. Most gun safes offer minimal protection from fire and burglary, and the price goes up as the protection goes up. We sell products that run into the six figure range, and those buyers don't even bat an eye. They understand that you really do get what you pay for.

If you do live in California, you will need a safe that meets the DOJ requirements. This is not a rating issued by anybody, but simply a list of requirements that your safe must meet. Many manufacturers will say if they are DOJ approved, but not always. Just because it doesn't say so doesn't mean it isn't. If you need the list of these requirements, I'd be happy to post them.
Old March 22, 2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Nero45

Thanks for the help. a1abdj I would like the list if you can. I, thankfuly, dont' live in California but in one just as bad. Again thank you.
Old March 22, 2008, 12:05 PM   #6
a1abdj

CA DOJ regulatory standards require a gun safe to meet either:

All of the following requirements:

Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage;

Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength;

Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least ½ inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock;

Shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one layer of 7-gauge steel compound construction;

Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.

or

All of the following requirements:

Is listed as an Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container;

Is able to fully contain firearms;

Provides for the secure storage of firearms.
Old April 2, 2008, 06:19 PM   #7
wpauley

Gun Safe Question

Try the following sites, they should answer any questions you may have about Gun Safes http://gunsafe.blogspot.com/ or www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html Two types of safes, Commercial UL Rated T-15 and T-30 and Residential Security Containers. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Also Try AMSEC they are one of the Best. Dibold is another one of the Best. Call your local Lock smith or nearest Large city lock shop they may have a good used Commercial Safe or can steer you to one, Also Store Liquidators many times do not want to deal with safes when a store closes and they are trying to sell the remaining store fixtures. Good Luck Bill
Old April 8, 2008, 05:10 PM   #8
yourotherleft

That's a great articles. Regardless brand, remember to buy safes that can hold more than the number of guns you have. The gun capacity advertised on any safe is very very aggresive. I learned that the hard way.
Old April 8, 2008, 11:11 PM   #9
a1abdj

Both of these articles are OK. The article at 6mmbr is probably the better of the two. Neither one of them is entirely accurate.

One of these days I'm going to write a guide to buying gun safes. I'll post a link if I ever get around to doing it.
Old April 9, 2008, 09:33 PM   #10
74camaroman

Looking for a great gun safe? Look at Sam's Club. They have a Winchester Gun Safe, fire rated, electronic lock, outside hinges so the door opens all the way open. Lifetime warrentee to original owner, best customer service. I had trouble with my lock combo and then sent a new lock combo and Paid a local locksmith to repair it at no charge to me. It is 30x60x22, has shelving and plenty of room for guns. You can set it up for 12 or 24 guns and still have shelving. Only drawback is it weighs 505 pounds so you will need help getting it in place. Good luck.