The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 19, 2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

laser additions

In June I bought a laser guide rod for my G43. It was ez to set up & was a great aid in shooting over 50 feet. For shorter distances I never engaged the laser rod guide.
I just bought the lasermax guide rod laser for
$179.00 including shipping & no tax for my Glock19 at Midway. they're having a great sale on certain items.

Question??? other than our Spec Forces, Foreign Military/LEOs and most LEO departments here in the States et al buying & using a laser systems, have you ordered a laser for your Pistols/Revolvers?

If so, why. If not why.

Doc
Old November 21, 2017, 05:43 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

I got a Crimson Trace grip for my 1911 years ago. It was dead on accurate and haven't had to adjust it in since I first sighted it in. However, since it's not directly below the barrel, the point of impact can vary at distances. It's good enough for why I have it on there: for quick aiming in low light at close distances. I'm not planning on shooting a pistol over 50 feet unless I have to.
I liked my 1911 Crimson Trace so much though, I bought one for my Sig 226 and my Taurus .357 revolver.
I also have a StreamLight light/laser combo that attaches to my picatinny rail on my S&W M&P .40. It works well enough as well for the same intended purpose mentioned above. That one is my bedside gun.
Sounds like our intended purposes for lasers on pistols are different though. Mine are for close distances (under 50 ft) and in low light while it sounds like you use yours for long distance pistol shooting. How do you see that laser at over 50 ft? My eyes aren't the best, but unless it's dark out, I can't see a laser in past 25 ft.
Old November 26, 2017, 10:22 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Not a fan of lasers for anything but training aid. Especially not on my CCW guns. 1. I don't want to trust my life to circuits and batteries.
2. If it is too dark to see your sights are you really sure of your target. 3. I won't lean on a crutch that I have to "search" for instead of my normal instinct shooting. Which is plenty accurate at SD distance, and faster than searching for a dancing red dot.
4. Even if you are sure of your target in the dark, your laser is drawing them a straight line right to you.
However, I might put a Crimson Trace Laserguard on my Remington R51 because it's somewhat futuristic styling just looks like it needs one!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 27, 2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Scoits

I too have used the CT lasers for many years and have a different view then above. To each his/her own but i feel it is more accurate and as fast if not faster then open sights in low light conditions. In full light the front sight is dominate and the red dot is closer to pick up at times. Once you try a laser and shoot for speed you find the so called bouncing red dot is the same bouncing as you expierence with the front sight but you are unable to see it as plainly as with the dot. Muzzle wag is the same no matter which or what sight system you use.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:45 PM   #5
cw308

I carry a Colt New Agent in 45ACP 1911 3" it has trench sights not the standard , it came with Crimson Trace laser grips red dot . Most of my shooting is point an shoot 21' Never shot with a laser before now I'm hooked . Very accurate well placed shots, what's not to like about them .