The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2018, 07:12 PM   #1
2damnold4this

Interesting scope failure

I had an interesting scope failure this evening after getting my deer rifle out of the safe in preparation for tomorrow. The last time I used the rifle, I was shooting a steel target at 400 yards and had the magnification turned up. I like to hunt with the magnification at the lowest setting, so I turned the ring down. Something didn't feel quite right, so I turned it back up and noticed the reticle had rotated about 45 degrees. The scope was tight in its rings and when I turned the magnification back down, the reticle rotated slightly back towards level. Turning the ring back up caused the reticle to move another 45 degrees so it's almost 90 degrees rotated from level. The scope is a Prostaff BDC.

Has anyone else had a similar failure where the reticle rotates when adjusting the magnification?
Old October 24, 2018, 01:01 AM   #2
J.G. Terry

Send it back!

Nikon: Send it back to maker. Friend has a made in China scope the had cocked cross hairs. It was replaced with better model. Bets are you will get good service from Nikon. I never had a problem with Prostaffs.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; October 24, 2018 at 01:12 AM. Reason: SOS
Old October 24, 2018, 04:03 AM   #3
2damnold4this

I do plan on sending it back to Nikon and I am sure they will make it right
Old October 25, 2018, 02:47 AM   #4
bamaranger

new one

Wouldn't surprise me that they just send you a new one. I've heard that's the way Nikon operates with many of its products.
Old October 25, 2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me that they just send you a new one. I've heard that's the way Nikon operates with many of its products.
Not just Nikon. The labor cost to open up a product, fix it, close it back up, test it, etc. is often far greater than the cost just to grab a new item off the assembly line.
Old November 15, 2018, 09:04 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
Has anyone else had a similar failure where the reticle rotates when adjusting the magnification?
I have seen it happen quite a few times. Had it happen in a $1400 dollar scope on my sniper rifle. Won't say whose scope since they gave it to me in the first place.
Old November 16, 2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I'd read where that way of replacing product's is or has replaced quality control in lot's of places. Years ago I got a tracking collar, not from Garmin, and didn't work right. Sent it back and they sent me a new one, no question's asked. Problem was, I sent back three in a three month period and the forth I sent to where I'd bought it for a refund and got the Garmin then. I think everyone put's out a product now and them that fails prematurely but four in just over three month's is the pit's. I don't think the program will change though. Seem's it's less expensive to simply replace an item than to have a quality control section. I like my Nikon scope's but I think they are doing the same thing. Didn't like that BDC reticue in my 4 1/2-14x and called Nikon about swappint it out, they wouldn't do it. Thought about miss handling it and doing it on warrantee but they'd probably send me that junk BDC again!
Old December 3, 2018, 12:05 AM   #8
J.G. Terry

I have put some replaced entry level scopes on some cannons-375 H&H and the like. Worked out OK. I don't have a problem with the exchange. It may have to do with damage where it is more economical to replace the scope than have a poor repair. Leupold has replaced four scope for me over the years. Three of those times current models were sent to replace older broken scopes. One of the FX 4"s is on 300 WSM A bolt in the next room. The problem was always physical damage with the Leupold's. That's my story and I'll stick with it.
Old January 18, 2019, 06:20 PM   #9
2damnold4this

Just a quick update: Nikon sent me a new scope at no charge.