The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 22, 2006, 09:45 PM   #1
lamagra

good IDPA pistol

Whats a very good pistol for IDPA? Something extremely accurate and reliable.

Thanks,
Randy
Old October 22, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Glock 17 or 34. (22 or 35 IF you handload so you can shoot .40 Minor.)

1911 (In a reliable model, there are a lot of cheap copies out there, not all of them inexpensive.)

That probably covers 3/4 of the guns you will see at a major match, make it 80% or more if you add S&W 6-shot revolvers in .38/.357 or .45 ACP.

There are also Beretta, Sig-Sauer, CZ pistols in some numbers. Getting to be some XDs, and maybe the new M&P will get S&W seriously into the plastic pistol business.

But the first thing is, do you already own ANY pistol that meets the rulebook requirements, or even close? The accuracy requirements are not high, although reliability is a must, there are no alibis.
Old October 23, 2006, 02:41 PM   #3
billdncn

Whats a very good pistol for IDPA? Something extremely accurate and reliable.

Thanks,
Randy

Extremely accurate? I would say a Custom built 1911
Extremely reliable? I would say a Glock.

Depends on what class you would like to compete, and what type pistol you fancy. Mr. Watson is correct on what you'll see being used. I have 2 of the most popular type weapons used. A 1911 in 9mm (ESP), and a Glock 35 (SSP). Most people use the G17, or G34 in SSP though like JM said.

Bottom line? I would saayyyyy.........ummmm........ OH! A Les Bear 45
Old October 23, 2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Tim Burke

Extremely accurate really isn't a necessity to be competitive in IDPA, but unreliable will ruin your day.
Old October 23, 2006, 04:39 PM   #5
GoSlash27

lamagra,
Do you have a handgun that you use as your primary carry or home defense piece? If so, that should be your IDPA handgun as well.
Old October 23, 2006, 06:39 PM   #6
DanV1317

I'm with the glock 34.
Old November 4, 2006, 06:05 PM   #7
DeltaWhiskey

Use the gun that you have at least four magazines, an IDPA legal holster and mag carrier for. The rules can be a pain in the butt sometime, check them to be sure your gear is up to specs.
Old November 5, 2006, 02:26 PM   #8
divemedic

I compete with a Sig 229 in 357 sig.
Old November 5, 2006, 05:46 PM   #9
OneInTheChamber

I shoot a Glock 17 in minor and a Kimber Team Match II 1911 in major.

There is no "best gun". It comes down to personal preferences and what the stage demands.
Old November 5, 2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Snowshoe

I used a Browning Hi-Power when I won my Division.

Of course I was the only one in that division
Old November 6, 2006, 04:09 AM   #11
tanksoldier

Sig 226, best of both worlds.

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old November 6, 2006, 10:02 AM   #12
ryucasta

I would avoid the alloyed framed firearms for competition since they dont tend to hold up as well as Steel or Polymer.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old November 8, 2006, 07:03 AM   #13
Joe D

Glocks and 1911s own IDPA. Pick one as there is a good reason they are the most popular. You just don't see many other guns at these matches.
Sigs and HKs are not popular for a couple of reasons. One, they are fairly pricey and secondly they are more difficult to shoot fast and accurately due to their high bore axis.
The most versatile gun is a Glock 35. One can use it for USPSA Limited, Limited 10 and Production - IDPA SSP and ESP. A .40 can be downloaded to shoot softer than a 9mm.
Old November 8, 2006, 08:27 AM   #14
DanV1317

glock 34. Easy to use and perfect for the job.
Old November 18, 2006, 05:20 PM   #15
Livinloud5

Don't forget the XD's. they are beginning to work there way into the picture of Not only IDPA but USPSA.

Blake.
Old November 20, 2006, 10:34 AM   #16
LetsKillDave

XDs also suffer from a high bore axis (approx 3/8" higher than a Glock, nothing to sneeze at). Personally, I don't expect XDs to outperform a Glock or 1911. Then again, it really boils down to how "integrated" the shooter is with their weapon. Slap a 1911 in my hands and I'm a dork, put a G34 or G22 in my hands and I'm...well, as perfect as I'm gonna get
Old November 20, 2006, 11:12 AM   #17
ryucasta

Here in SOCAL what I tend to see the most in IDPA competition are Glocks in SSP and single stack 1911's (Kimber) for CDP. There are a few that use double stack 1911's in ESP (I.e. Taran Butler) but the majority of competitors that I run into tend to use Glocks in ESP.

Raul

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old December 30, 2006, 12:08 AM   #18
robertbank

CDP - Para SSP or any other singles stack 1911 or a Para P-14 only for easier reloads using double stack mags.

ESP - CZ 85 in 9MM

SSP - Glock 17 in 9MM

With those three you just got t o shoot better to win. It won't be your equipment.

Take Care

Bob
Old January 1, 2007, 05:55 PM   #19
hkenvy91

-H&K usp 45 compact
or tac if im allowed
Old January 1, 2007, 08:08 PM   #20
ryucasta

While the XD is a fine firearm at the present time it leaves much to be desired from a competition (IDPA, USPSA) standpoint due to the lack of spare parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory_XD

Pros

The XD can be field stripped easily and quickly with no tools.

Springfield Armory promises a lifetime guarantee with every XD pistol.

The XD series has only been on the market for a few years, so shooters are unable to judge its long-term track record, but the line has already
established a reputation for bombproof reliability. One so-called 'Torture Test' was conducted (see external link below) in which an XD-9 was run over with a truck, frozen in a block of ice, caked with sand, and even stripped and degreased, firing nearly 20,000 rounds without a single malfunction in the process.

The primary aspect that many first-time XD shooters comment on is the gun's ergonomics. It is considered to have a very solid, stable feel, with a grip that feels extremely comfortable in the hands of even smaller shooters. These types of comments are especially impressive when applied to the XD-45, since grip size has been a major problem for other high-capacity .45ACP pistols.

The XD's grip angle is the same as that of a 1911, which tends to make the gun more naturally pointable in the view of most American shooters. Many polymer-framed pistols such as Glocks tend to have a more severe grip angle (wrist is held such that a 1911 syle pistol would be pointed more towards the ground), which has been regarded to be more of an acquired taste.

The sight mounts on XD pistols are essentially the same as sight mounts on the popular line of pistols made by SIG, meaning that there is a large variety of aftermarket sights that can be installed on an XD without modification.

The XD uses a fully supported chamber design which reinforces the rear of the ammunition case. A fully supported chamber reduces the possibility of an ammunition case rupture that could cause injury to the shooter and severely damage the gun. This is an especially important feature for owners who intend to use +P and/or reloaded ammunition.

The sights and trigger of the XD are made of metal instead of plastic

Cons
Though some parts can be purchased through aftermarket suppliers, Springfield Armory refuses to sell some individual XD parts. Springfield Armory's position seems to be that with a lifetime warranty that includes repair work, parts sales are not necessary. This is a major stumbling block for shooters who are involved in competitive pistol activities, because they are unable to keep a small stock of parts on hand for emergencies. People who carry their pistol every day (and thus are unable to ship their gun off for a week while it's being repaired) have also complained about the policy.

As of 2006, there are no aftermarket trigger springs. This means that shooters cannot adjust the trigger pull weight of their XD pistols for competition or personal preference.

Those who have tried installing aftermarket or custom sights on XD's have reported that removing the existing sights can be an extremely difficult process, often requiring the services of a gunsmith.

Pre-2006 versions of the XD were protected with a metal treatment called Burinal™. Some who own pistols with the Burinal™ treatment have reported significant rust problems - especially those who carry the XD against their skin. Fortunately, current versions of the XD are being manufactured with a treatment called Melonite™, which is the same process as the near-legendary Tenifer™ coating used on Glocks.

Raul

Old January 3, 2007, 09:03 PM   #21
Joe D

Rual, you know there is no such thing as a fully supported chamber. Some have more support than others. The old Auto Mag, with it's rotating bolt, was the only handgun with a fully supported chamber.
Old January 8, 2007, 02:04 AM   #22
Link

Please don't confuse me with one of these experts, but I say accuracy and feel are more important.

Reliability is by far the most important characteristic of a handgun, so if it demonstrates unreliability, it's out the door. Forget sending to the shop to get it tweaked, shaved, polished or whatever. There are way too many guns on the market, probably at a lower price than you paid, that work flawlessly out of the box. Also, if you pay $500-1000+ for a pistol, it should function flawlessly. If it doesn't, and you have to send it to the factory or the gunsmith, you got screwed!!!

At this point, accuracy and feel don't play a role.

Once you're satisfied that your gun is reliable, you can focus on the other two must haves...accuracy and feel.
Old January 8, 2007, 12:51 PM   #23
robertbank

Link

"There are way too many guns on the market, probably at a lower price than you paid, that work flawlessly out of the box. Also, if you pay $500-1000+ for a pistol, it should function flawlessly. If it doesn't, and you have to send it to the factory or the gunsmith, you got screwed!!!"

Uh? You are kidding right? Sending a gun to a gunsmith for a trigger job, or different sights is hardly uncommon. Gun manufacturers offer lifetime warranties for a reason, all things mechanical don't always work as they should, when they don't you need to get them fixed.

In IDPA all your handgun has to do is hit an 8" circle at 25 yards max, most targets being considerably closer, not exactly bench rest shooting. On the other hand reliability is , as others have posted, paramount as clearing a jam takes time and time is the test in either IPSC or IDPA.

Take Care

Bob
Old January 9, 2007, 10:03 PM   #24
cpaspr

Lamagra,

to answer the original question: If you already have a handgun, with several (I have at least 5 spares for each that I use) extra speedloaders or magazines and a good holster, use it.

If you already have a gun, but not the spare reloads or holster, get what you need to fill out the local requirements would be the cheapest way to go.

If you're looking for input because you don't already have something you can use, then the field is wide open and you can pay attention to all the previous posts advocating one brand over another. Find what works well for you.