The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2018, 12:59 PM   #1
joeanybody

7-30 waters

I am on the hunt for new or once fired brass. Any idea of sources? I know I can make it from 30-30 brass but want some to start out with while I learn to fireform. Also I am looking for sources of bullets in 7mm that can be shot in a tubular magazine. I am only aware of the FTx bullets by hornady, however they are not made in 7mm.

Thanx
Old August 10, 2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Over a buck apiece, but they are available.

For about the same price you could buy some commercial loads and reuse the brass.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 10, 2018, 08:06 PM   #3
joeanybody

Thx unclenick. I might have to get the commercial ammo. It would be the first box of non rimfire commercial ammo I have bought in a very long time. What about the second party of my question? I am thinking I might have to go with a lead bullet but want to explore my options.
Old August 11, 2018, 10:56 AM   #4
k4swb

Quite awhile back I acquired about 60 rounds of factory new, nickle plated Federal 7-30 Waters stamped brass off of eBay. Cost me about $1.00 apiece and I still haven't used them.
Sorry, but no.

I started out buying factory loaded ammo and accumulated enough for my purposes.
I think Federal is, was and always has been the only loader for 7-30 ammo and only one load.
I started using Barnes 120gr flat base bullets and my 14" Contender would group 5 shots into 3/4" all day. Barnes discontinued the FB bullet for a BT one and it's not as accurate for me but Sierra's 130gr (?) Single Shot Pistol bullet does fine and I have killed a lot of NC whitetails with both.

Try loads with W748.

7-30 is a lot of fun. good luck and have fun!

Edited:
I just reread your post and realized you are using a rifle.
If it were me I would just use a spitzer bullet and load one in the chamber and one in the tube. You shouldn't need more than one shot anyway.
Old August 11, 2018, 12:01 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Brass appears to be only made by Quality Cartridge. Graf's wants $36.59 per 20, but they're out of stock. Naturally.
They are listing Federal ammo at $27.19 per 20 as in stock.
These guys make a suitable 7mm FP and RN bullet that isn't stupid expensive. Boxes of 50 though.
http://hawkbullets.com/bullet-selection.html#/
Old August 12, 2018, 11:34 AM   #6
big al hunter

When I started loading for 7-30 in the late 90's I had no luck finding factory loaded ammo or brass. I followed the instructions for fire forming from 30-30 in the Speer loading manual. Can't remember what version the loading manual was now. But the process is fairly easy. Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. I would recommend following directions carefully from a published loading manual. Too many internet experts with less than safe ideas.
Old August 12, 2018, 09:42 PM   #7
reynolds357

I have 4 7-30 Waters. I usually buy fed factory ammo and reload it. It is hard to make 7-30 from new 30-30 brass. It turns out too short. Not a huge problem in lever, but don't shoot worth a flip in Contender until they stretch to right length. Usually 2 firings and sizing.
Old August 13, 2018, 07:46 PM   #8
Steve in PA

I have a 7-30 Waters and I was lucky a few years ago to find a guy selling 200 pieces of brand new Federal nickel plated cases. I have not seen any since then. When my suppl6 starts to dwindle, I’ll probably buy some of those listed in the first link posted above.

I did buy a sizing die to make them out of .30-30 brass, since there is no shortage of brass for that caliber.