The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2018, 06:40 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Kimber 1911 Stainless Target 10mm LS(Long Slide)

So I was at a box store, and was killing some time as my wife was shopping a few big box stores down the mini mall. They have a fairly large selection of 1911 pistols I like to look at. I saw one that was sticking out more than the others. I asked to look at it. The clerk after clearing it hands it over. I see it is a 6 inch barrel long slide by Kimber in 10 mm Auto.

I saw what had to be a mistake on the tag. Mention it to the clerk. He says "I think that is the price." The manager came over. I asked him if the price was correct. He said it was the correct price as the gun was very lightly used. The former owner bought it. Shot one 20 round box of Speer Gold Dots, and thought it was too much for him. So he took it back, and traded in at loss for a smaller gun. It had been back out on the shelf for less than an hour when I saw it. The price was beyond very reasonable. I am not going to post what it was. I will say it was far below what most used ones go for. They priced it low as they said they have a hard time selling guns in 10mm.

30 minutes later I was out the door with it, 2 boxes of Herter's 180 grain FMJ. 500 Ranier 180 grain HP. 300 pieces of Star Line brass, and a set of reloading dies.

I got it home, and field stripped it. Cleaned off the packing oil. Went to put it back together. It was real bugger of a chore to do. The slide stop would not go all the way through. It took using the tip of my pocket knife to get it in right. The manager of the LGS said it is a common thing with them as the springs are so tight that part takes a bit of coaxing for the first few times it is taken down.

Range report with the Herter's there were some hic ups. Nothing major, and nothing polishing the feed ramp, and chamber a wee bit will not solve. After all this talking now for a picture of it. For as long as photobucket will let me show it for at least.

Old August 9, 2018, 06:58 PM   #2
stephen426

Nice find! Last time I browsed the used gun section, something followed me home too. Needless to say, I'm not allowed to browse that section any more. LOL
Old August 9, 2018, 10:19 PM   #3
libiglou

I have the same gun except it has a 5 inch barrel. Its a tack driver with my reloads. When I first got it it was a bit## to disassemble but it got better with time. I would have got the 6inch barrel if it was available. I think your going to enjoy it
Old August 9, 2018, 10:54 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I like it so far. I fired one box of Herter's. There were some failure to fully return to battery issues. I have taken it down, and polished the feed ramp, and chamber with the felt wheel, and some compound. I hit a few spots on the rails with 8,000 grit sand paper where there were still some tool marks.

Now I have to find the barrel bushing. I found the plunger on top of my reloading bench. Over 20 feet from where I was putting the gun back together. My wife seems to be happy that I am straightening up the area around my bench to find the lost part. I am hoping she is not hiding in hopes that I end up cleaning the whole house to find it. LOL
Old August 10, 2018, 07:37 AM   #5
smee78

Congrats on the new addition, looks like a fine shooter. I would not buff or smooth anything else on it until you get a few hundred rounds through it. I'm sure it just needs some time to break-in being that it has so few rounds through it. As a 10mm fan myself I am glad to hear that a deal can be found from time to time, I can tell you the last time I saw a used 10 for sale was my addition of the S&W 1006, its the last time I saw a 10mm used for sale, seems people who pick them up don't sell them very often. I'm also glad Ruger has added a few 10mm's to their line up. I have had my eye on their 10mm target model.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:07 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Smee I know the manager, and last night when I was shooting the breeze with him he said the guy brought it in taken apart, and could not get it back together. He decided that he would rather have a gun that was easier to take apart, and put back together. He traded for a Glock model 40.

The plunger spring is super stiff. I am still looking for the barrel bushing this morning. I found the plunger on my reloading bench. Now to find the bushing. My wife is hoping I have to clean the entire house to find it. (Not joking on that at all.) I hope she is not hiding it.

I am not planing on doing any further clean up work at all. I like to shoot them to smooth things out. This case I did only a minimum, and the compound used is around the 45,000 grit range. I use it for stropping knives on. The 8,000 grit paper I use with light pressure, and only for 2 to 3 seconds at a time. I then wipe the area with clean dry cloth, and assess it from there.