The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2017, 04:16 AM   #1
MaxxJ

Materials and costs

Good morning everyone
I've been thinking about getting into this for a little while now. I spent a few minutes last night pricing out the materials on a few websites and I was hoping somebody could look at it and tell me if it looks about right and if I've forgotten anything. I'll just be doing 12g shells to start with, eventually if money allows I'll move to pistol and rifle ammo.

The press I'm looking at is pretty inexpensive and seems reliable enough, it's the Load All 2 for about $55.
Hulls $15 for 250 with primers
Primer $30 for 1000
Wads $6 for 250
Powder $30 for a pound seems to be about average for decent and inexpensive powder
Shot $45 for 11lb of 7 1/2

I can probably get some used hulls locally for next to nothing but I think I would like having some fresh ones to start with. The only powder I looked at was Winchester brand but only because I'm not familiar with any of the other names, and I read some pretty good reviews on the WST powder used for target load in 12g. I'm not doing any competition shooting, mostly just shooting for fun here so I don't think I need any high dollar powder for that and $28-30 seemed reasonable to my knowledge. I can get powder and primers locally and skip the hazmat charge in delivery, I'm sure there will be a markup but I don't see it being more than the $20hazmat+$10shipping everywhere online is asking. So, press included and before taxes I'll be right around or just under $200. Does anybody have any recommendations where I could save a little in getting started?

Last edited by MaxxJ; August 8, 2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old August 8, 2017, 06:04 AM   #2
cptjack

not familiar with press, i believe you will need another press for pistol and rifle
Old August 8, 2017, 06:53 AM   #3
MaxxJ

Yea, that's what I meant by "if money allows"
Here's a link to the press, it's nothing amazing but it'll work for my purposes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Last edited by MaxxJ; August 8, 2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old August 8, 2017, 06:55 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Go with a MEC 600 jr press, they have loaded countless shells and still work great.

Actually you will not save on loading your own 12 gauge shells. but if you want a different loading then load your own.

Where do you get wads in 250 bags, the regular off the shelf bag is 500.

Also shot usually comes in 25 pound bags.

Where are you located????

That press will loads shells, BUT the shell consistency will vary from shell to shell.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:10 AM   #5
MaxxJ

MEC is too high for me, besides I've met people that have used these inexpensive Lee presses for 20-30 years. The prices and quantities I came up with were mostly from midway. I'm in Hayesville NC, my choices for places to go and buy these things are a little limited around here.

and what do you mean by shell consistency? Just powder and shot measurements?
Old August 8, 2017, 07:18 AM   #6
jmorris

Shotshell presses don't have the resale value that metallic presses do. The Lee press is based on the same concept as much older and better built LMC presses and can put stuff together.

That said I have had old MEC's given to me and they are a much better press. Back when cheap shells used cardboard wads and a bag of shot was much cheaper, it made a lot more sense loading your own. I still have 366's in .410, 28 ga that get some use but my 12 & 20 ga setups not as often. Add up all your costs above then go look at case prices on shells and unless your loadi something special, there isn't a lot of money to be saved.

You also didn't mention what kind of shot gun you are loading for. If you are loading for say a semiauto 12 ga with a Lee, you will become frustrated in short order.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:27 AM   #7
shootbrownelk

I got a MEC 600JR. at a yard sale last year (I already had one) for $15.00 and after getting it home and doing a thorough cleaning, it looks like it was never used. Must have been in an attic or garage it was all dusty, dirty and full of cobwebs. Look on E-bay for a used MEC. Those Lee Loaders are made pretty cheaply. The MEC you can give to your grandkids. They last forever.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:28 AM   #8
MaxxJ

I've got a Central Arms double barrel and a Mossberg 500.

Could you tell me what you normally pay for a bag of wads and some shot? I'm rained out of work today so I planned on taking the long way to town and stopping at the one or two places that might have what I'm looking for to see some prices. I haven't bought ammo in a long time, last time I did though one of those 100count value packs of target load was $18 and I bought enough to last quite a while. I'm assuming it's $25-30 for the same thing by now. I try not to look when I go to the store, the inflation is depressing.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:30 AM   #9
jmorris

Adding up your prices I get $126/250 shells, not counting the press and you will have some stuff left over. FWIW if you are using 1oz shot charges, you'll only get 176 shells loaded with 11 lbs of shot, 1-1/8 oz gets you 156 shells before 11 lbs is gone. That said your price must be for Nickle plated lead shot and that's not necessary either.

Do some number crunching then take a look here. I'll save you the suspense and let you know 500 shells are less than $126.

http://www.bulkammo.com/shotgun/bulk-12ga-ammo
Old August 8, 2017, 07:44 AM   #10
MaxxJ

The shot I saw was nickel plated, yes. Midway was only showing me that and tungsten shot. I'll look around for plain lead shot while I'm out today too. In the end even if I only save a little bit I'd still be happy with reloading just for something to do when I'm stuck inside because of the weather here. It sounds like a better plan than sitting around eating all day anyway.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Ricklin

No REAL savings

I suggest you rethink this. As has been mentioned, real tough to save money on 12 Ga.
If you have a source at true wholesale for components......maybe, but no big savings.
Those value packs? I think they are right around 23 bucks now at my local wally world.

Shotshell loading is different than loading metallic cartridges. Shotshells are a cookbook approach, no working up loads. It is different.

Really only the guys shooting the clay games load 12 Ga. Of course if you are shooting the small gauges.....rock on. Big savings on small shells.

And ya, buy a MEC. They are good for 2-3 lifetimes, and they can be sent in for a reasonable cost rebuild. Great machines.
Old August 8, 2017, 08:10 AM   #12
Joe-ker

I've got the lee reloader you mention. Got it twenty years ago as a teen when you could afford to load your own. My brother has the mec. The lee is a piece of crap next to the mec- but it was cheaper

I haven't priced shot lately but when it got too high to justify it I quit and never went back.

If you're thinking of getting into reloading pistol/rifle, I wouldn't waste money on this--- you have a better chance saving money on those. Aside from trapshooters who shoot a pisspile of rds I don't see a reason to reload shot shells anymore. Rifle/pistol is entirely different.....there's so much more to it being able to fine tune your rds to a specific gun or use it makes sense to "roll" your own.
Old August 8, 2017, 08:22 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

I shoot casual clays at a public range. My loads are 7/8 ounce in 12 gauge.
I pick all my hulls from the dumpster, shot the cheapest I've found is $41 with tax.

Wads, I bought 5000 from a guy that couldn't use them (7/8 oz Dusters)

I load 12 gauge on a older MEC 650 that I paid $50 at a swap.
Save money, yes, but not the direction you are headed in.
Old August 8, 2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Dufus

I started out loading shotshells using the Lee Loader (now the Lee Classic) back in 1962 because I was a kid and didn't have much spending money. The Loader cost a whopping $10, primers were a penny, shot was $5 for a 25 lb bag, and the hulls were free. I think the wads were prolly around $5 for a 250 count bag. It allowed me to shoot and I loved shooting as nearly all kids did back then.

About 1966 I saved enough funds to buy a Pacific DL155. It was a dream machine for me. I wanted it over the MEC because it used shot and powder bushings and with the MEC, you had to buy different charge bars and they were expensive, unless you were dedicated to using just one brand of hulls....and I had a pretty good mix of them. Loads are hull specific with no room for deviations.

Later I bought the change over dies for 16, 20, and .410 shells. They all worked great.

I still use that loading system today on occasion.

Getting back to your post, the Lee tools should do you well for a starter on a budget. You can up grade after you get your feet wet if you desire to do so. I unnerstand what it is to have limited funds.

To get you on the right track, understand that I am not knocking Midway, but sometimes they are a little over priced. Shop around and you will be glad you did. It is good to buy from locals, but sometimes they don't have what you want or they are overpriced. I understand that.

The costs for the shot you listed is too high.

Try this site and see what is available.

https://www.rotometals.com/magnum-le...-bismuth-shot/

Good luck in your endeavors and happy shooting.
Old August 8, 2017, 11:26 AM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
Shot $45 for 11lb of 7 1/2
WHAT?!?!?!?! SERIOUSLY?

MEC Jr used - ~$100 (and 100X better than the zinc and plastic Lee crap)

For best savings, you buy:.

Wads - by the case of 5000
Primers by the sleeve of 5000
Shot by the 100 weight or more
Powder in 8# jugs
Hulls, free from any shotgun club on the ground or in the trash

Loading 7/8oz, you'll get reloads running ~$4 or less per box
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 8, 2017, 11:29 AM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
MEC is too high for me, besides I've met people that have used these inexpensive Lee presses for 20-30 years. The prices and quantities I came up with were mostly from midway. I'm in Hayesville NC, my choices for places to go and buy these things are a little limited around here.
You're typing on a computer which means your fingers aren't broken - order online or go to your local gun club (trap/skeet) and see if you cab go in on a large group buy for stuff.

USPS, UPS, Fedex should all deliver if the club angle doesn't work
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 8, 2017, 11:36 AM   #17
Jim Watson

A MEC is the way to go, used is usually ok.

Try to connect with the local Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays club. When I was active in trapshooting, the club had supplies drop-shipped from Gamaliel Shooting Supply with better selection and prices than Midway.
http://www.gamaliel.com/content/home.asp

Shotshell loading is more recipe driven than brass. I don't mind loading pistol ammo in mixed cases, but sticking with the same hull will give you more uniform crimp and ballistics. I would buy a case of Remington STS and save the empties. Or buy "once fired" from somebody who does not think the savings worthwhile.
Old August 8, 2017, 02:16 PM   #18
Rivertrail

We had a MEC and worked and worked but never got a consistent crimp on the 12 guage hulls. Finally put it away for probably 15 years then sold it a couple years ago. I reload all my pistol and rifle ammo but the shotgun just didn't work for me. Seemed like the temperature had to be the same everytime and all sorts of different things. I dont or didn't do it to save money but to get more specific loads. If you are doing it to save money I dont think you'll stick to it.
Old August 8, 2017, 02:50 PM   #19
jaguarxk120

Go to Shotgun World and ask the same question in the reloading section.

Some of those guys load and shoot more shells in one week than some

people shoot in a lifetime!
Old August 8, 2017, 02:51 PM   #20
FITASC

If you never got a consistent crimp, then either - you were using the wrong components for the recipe at hand or you did not adjust the pre-crimp die properly. The ability to make adjustments to achieve perfectly finished ammo is one reason the Lee fails, you can't do that with the Lee.
Old August 8, 2017, 03:21 PM   #21
MaxxJ

Four hours later and finally back from town.
I appreciate those links, Jim and Dufus, I've never heard of either of them and they didn't come up when I was googling things. They're bookmarked now though. Those prices are way better than Midway, 500 wads for just under $10 and shot for $37/25lb. I'll still see what I can find here though, I'll avoid that shipping cost if I can. Who knows, maybe I can find scrap lead around town. I've got a forge, I could cast it myself.

So to update my findings... I found a powder and primers today, the powder is $30 which was less than what I expected for around here, I didn't see the primers but the guy I was chatting with there said they had them. I'm expecting the price would be similar to what Midway listed considering the powder was about right. He also told me somewhere else I could go to look for other materials so when it dries out we get some sunshine in the next week or two I'll find some back roads and take a ride out that way.

Guys, I said reloading was something I'm considering getting into meaning I know very little about the best way to go about it and I don't know anybody else that does it which is why I came here first. I shoot for fun in my yard and saving money isn't my big reason for wanting to do this. Yes I would like to save some money in getting started at it, and even if I was breaking even I'd still want to do it because reloading genuinely interests me. I'll keep my eye out for a MEC 600 in fair condition, the ones I saw on ebay were missing parts or pretty rusted up and would still cost $80-100 after shipping. For that much money I'd at least like something to not have been neglected. The prices and counts I put in that first post were just from a few minutes skimming through websites, if I spent longer I'm sure I would come up with something better but I never said I was buying any of it right now or in the next few days. I'm a patient person and I don't mind waiting for the right deal to come my way. Shoot, I was looking at motorcycles for probably 4 years before I found a goldwing for a price I liked. I scored an 85 GL1200 with only 50k miles in great condition for $700. All that said, I doubt I'll wait that long for a deal on a press. Once I've done all the research I think I can do and had my ear to the ground long enough, if a MEC doesn't find me I'll end up buying the Lee and using that until I can afford a nicer one.

This is a pretty rural place I'm in, I'd have to drive maybe 90 minutes to a gun range if I wanted to pick through their trash for spent hulls so in my travels I'll see if I can find anybody that's saved theirs for whatever reason and talk somebody out of some of them for a few dollars. There's one place in town that might have some of the things I'm looking for but my past dealings with them have been less than pleasant and left a bad taste, they're not getting my business. I'd use the ones out of my yard but they've been in the dirt so long I wouldn't dare putting them back in a gun.
Old August 8, 2017, 04:02 PM   #22
Jim Watson

How much shooting and what kind of shooting will you do?
Unless you need tournament quality shells, you might do better just buying promotional quality shells at Walmart. Federal Multi-purpose is pretty good, although I have not had good results from Winchester Universal. Remington Game Loads and Gun Club shells are OK.
Old August 8, 2017, 05:43 PM   #23
MaxxJ

When I get the time I shoot quite a bit. Once in a long while my cousin will want to shoot some clay targets, once in a while the squirrel population and other small nuisance animals around my house and his gets out of control and we have to thin it out. He makes dog treats out of them... and t hasn't happened in a long time but we have bears get ballsy and come around making noise, I just take a few shots at nothing to scare them off. My purposes are mostly fun and recreation, sometimes it serves a purpose.

I wish people wouldn't keep telling me reasons to not do this. Whatever reasons there are to just buy ammo instead of loading it myself are irrelevant. I like having things I made myself, I like learning skills such as this, so I'm doing it.
Old August 8, 2017, 05:51 PM   #24
eastbank

i run two mec-9000,s and four mec-650,s, but at the cost of loading supplies and my time, i just go to walmart and buy a 100 box of federal 1-1/8-#8 shot for 19.95 as you can see thats 19.5 cents a round. about 50.00 a flat,or .20 cents a factory round. 25lbs of shot at 35.00 and shooting 1-1/8 oz = 350 loads= .10 cents, wads .02.5 cents a piece, primers 30.00 a thousand= .03 cents, powder 22.00 a pound with 18 grs a round =.05.5 cents a round for a total of .21 cents for a reloaded round. and if you have a screw up four or five shells loading add about a dollar to the total cost. last week i shot a 94-100 at trap with the federal shells. i shoot 3-4 hundred shotgun shells a week at the clays games and i like to load shotgun and pistol and rifle and when the cost of supplies go up for shotgun i will reload. eastbank.
Old August 8, 2017, 06:17 PM   #25
FITASC

My 12 reloads are 3/4oz running 1275fps. They work my gas guns perfectly and I get 533 loads from a 25# bag of shot......... works great for a lot of practice that won't break the bank or the shoulder. You can't buy these in any store.