The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2017, 11:45 PM   #1
sixgunnin

Will any .45 bullets work in .45 colt?

I am looking for some .45 cal. JHP bullets for my .45 colt new vaquero. Any suggestions on a affordable, quality hunting bullet?
One more thing, It would be pretty cool to have them nickel plated to go with my nickel brass and stainless gun
Thanks

Last edited by sixgunnin; July 3, 2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old July 4, 2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

As far as hunting bullets go, depending on just what your hunting, it's hard to beat either the Speer Gold Dot line or the Hornady XTP line for jacketed. However, your probably not going to find them in nickle plated from any company.

If you want to go with cast, they would match a lot closer to your nickle cases and there are plenty of good ones there. Choose weights ranging from 255 up through about 300grs. For one about in the middle, that would cover a ton of hunting look into the 45 270 SAA. There is plenty of load data on that one and it is an accurate bullet from the 45 Colt that will drive just about lengthwise through a white tail or probably even a mule deer depending on the alloy.

For most of my loads I use between a 260 and 280gr bullet. This gives me plenty of weight for penetration and I don't have to run them hard to get there. Using something with a wide flat nose is preferred by most as well, but the SWC design will get the job done as well.

For load info on the 45 270 SAA do a net search and you will find a PDF showing three tiers of load data. With your revolver you should stick to nothing higher than the second tier loads.
Old July 4, 2017, 06:26 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

As the original question is written, "will any 45 cal bullet work": No, not really. There are at least three different common bullets for 45 cal. They come in .451, .452, and .458 diameters. I'm sure almost all reloaders know this, but just in the off chance that someone very new to reloading didn't know, you need to use the one your gun is designed to use. Winchester used to make silver bullets for reloading. I'm not sure if they do any more or not. I used to use them for some applications and they shot well and performed well. I still have a few around in .357 diameter.
Old July 4, 2017, 06:36 AM   #4
PA-Joe

No, 45ACP bullets are normally 0.451- 0.542" in diameter and 45 Colts are 0.452 to 0.456" in diameter. Make certain you are asking for 45 Colt and not ACP bullets.
Old July 4, 2017, 07:00 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

I think it all depend on the diameter of the chamber throats.

Anyway what's wrong with good old fashioned lead bullets, you are throwing over half a ounce of lead at the target and it hits like a sledge hammer.
Old July 4, 2017, 07:43 AM   #6
BBarn

Since this is posted in the reloading section of the forum, I'm assuming you are looking for a bullet as opposed to finished ammunition. For a hunting bullet you probably want to choose a bullet with a cannelure or crimp groove to facilitate for a good crimp. That eliminates the many 45 cal. bullets intended for the 45 Auto will limit you to "revolver" jacketed bullets. However most cast bullets have a crimping groove, and they are a dull silver color to boot.

Winchester makes silvertip ammo which has a bright silver bullet, but I don't think they sell just the silver tip bullets in 45 cal.
Old July 4, 2017, 08:40 AM   #7
g.willikers

Quote:
It would be pretty cool to have them nickel plated to go with my nickel brass and stainless gun
How about casting some silver bullets?
If it was good enough for the Lone Ranger.....
Actually a high polish on quality lead bullets could come mighty close.
Old July 4, 2017, 08:53 AM   #8
robhic

Quote:
No, 45ACP bullets are normally 0.451- 0.542" in diameter ....
Not being critical but I am guessing that is a typo? 0.542 seems BIG while 0.452 seems more correct. Just in the interest of avoiding confusion.
Old July 4, 2017, 08:56 AM   #9
g.willikers

We thrive on confusion.
Don't mess us up.
Old July 4, 2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Hammerhead

Most modern .45 Colts are .452" groove diameter. Mine was. Your Vaquero should be as well. 45 auto bullets can be used, but there's no crimp groove/cannalure to crimp into.

Get .452" .45 Colt bullets, there's no shortage now and they will have the correct cannalure to crimp into and be designed to work at the correct speed.

According to Handloader magazine the .454" diameter Colts were all pre-war.

Haven't seen any silver bullets.
Old July 4, 2017, 11:51 AM   #11
reddog81

You should be able to make any 45 bullet work. It's just a question of how well the results will turn out. Like others have mentioned it is important to match the bullets diameter to the throats size. Also 45 ACP bullets will lack a crimp groove. This isn't critical but has an effect on how you load.
Old July 4, 2017, 12:04 PM   #12
lamarw

The thing that bothers me with your question is whether you have a good reloading manual or recipes from powder companies. I think they would of answered your question plus provide you with other needed information.

If you do, then no big deal since it is always nice to gather information from others.

You could do some inexpensive coloring of your bullets for a silver color. Check any craft store for rub-n-buff or the very thin micron sheets of gold or about any color appliques. I assume you are wanting it more for display or BBQ showing-off since this is July 4th. I do not know but doubt it would cause any difficulties with your barrel cleaning after shooting. All of this stuff can easily be cleaned off with acetone or denatured alcohol.
Old July 4, 2017, 12:27 PM   #13
rclark

Quote:
Most modern .45 Colts are .452" groove diameter.
.451 ... at least the Rugers I have. Therefore, cylinder throats should be .452 and bullets also .452 for a nice tight bore fit.

As for the question, you'll get all kinds of answers . I am not a handgun hunter, but from what I've picked up reading others experiences is ..., a .45 hole is pretty large wound channel anyway, so a heavy solid bullet is better for deeper penetration and breaking bones on it's way to/through the vitals. Say 255g to 300g SWC/Keith style bullets. Lead is 'silverish' already for 'looks' . A bit more silverish would be the Oregon Trail bullets. Make sure, the bullets have a crimp groove (no .45 ACP style bullets). I like Rimrock bullets myself, but there are several good lead bullet providers out there.

Also, be aware you have a New Vaquero (medium frame) which will NOT handle Tier 3 Ruger Only Loads (30K+ psi). The New Vaquero is only good for Tier 2 loads (23K psi). Tier 1 is SAAMI loads. Brian Pearce has some good data on reloading the New Vaquero.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 4, 2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old July 4, 2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Hammerhead

Quote:
Most modern .45 Colts are .452" groove diameter.
.451 ... at least the Rugers I have.

.451 or .452, it's all good and will vary from gun to gun.

Use .451" or .452" jacketed bullets, most jacketed bullets intended for .45 Colt will be .452".

For lead bullets you can slug your barrel (google it) to find it's exact diameter, or try .452" lead and see how it goes. There are also polymer coated lead bullets available.

Take a look at Midway.
https://www.midwayusa.com/230-grains...e/br?cid=22363
Old July 4, 2017, 02:11 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...have them nickel plated..." That'd cost a fortune. There art several brands of ammo that are loaded in nickeled cases by the factory. Or you can buy Starline brand and load 'em yourself.
Old July 4, 2017, 03:19 PM   #16
disseminator

For a hunting load in the 45 Colt try a 265 Cast Performance WFNGC. You can get them from Midway USA and Graf & Sons among others.

I like these bullets and also shoot them in my 45 Auto Rim 625JM. (About 925 fps)

In my 7.5" Vaquero, they'll hit about 1100 fps within the 14000 psi rating so that is good for all 45 Colt firearms. IMO, there is no need to go faster with a bullet like this. It's gonna shoot through about any game you might come across.
Old July 4, 2017, 05:20 PM   #17
noylj

.45 ACP/Auto: SAAMI spec. is jacketed 0.4490-0.4520, lead 0.4500-0.4530 (handloaders can use bullets that best fit their gun)
.45 Colt: 0.4500-0.4560"
.45-70: 0.4550-0.4580"

So, If the jacketed bullet is 0.4500-0.4520", it can be used by the industry for either a .45 Colt or .45 Auto.
Old July 4, 2017, 08:58 PM   #18
GeauxTide

Quote:
For one about in the middle, that would cover a ton of hunting look into the 45 270 SAA. There is plenty of load data on that one and it is an accurate bullet from the 45 Colt that will drive just about lengthwise through a white tail or probably even a mule deer depending on the alloy.
From Matt's Bullets, it weighs 280gr, and no leading at 1050fps. Depending on your recoil tolerance, 8-10gr of Unique is stout and I can verify the penetration. Unbelievable performance. Now if your Vaquero is the the medium frame, then stop at 9 grains.
Old July 6, 2017, 07:15 AM   #19
briandg

You can easily find home plating kits that could silver plate your jacketed bullets or even brass cartridges. Have fun.
Old July 6, 2017, 02:45 PM   #20
zeke

Hornady makes 240 and 250 grain .452 jhp's with cannelures. Speer makes a 250 grain gdhp with a cannelure.

A lot depends on what frame your vaquero is, as to what pressure/velocity you can load them to and what you intend to hunt. If you have fixed sights, may want to consider what poa is compared to poi.

Would not advise running nickel plated bullets down bore.
Old July 6, 2017, 02:46 PM   #21
sixgunnin

Ok, I do have a Lee mold for 255 grain RNFP .45s, It sounds like that might work for a hunting bullet?
They do hit like a sledge hammer! It does not feel good
Old July 6, 2017, 07:23 PM   #22
smee78

I will admit I have loaded 45acp lead 230 grn 451 bullets in my 45C brass and it shot fine in my Ruger 45 Redhawk lol. I need to check the cylinder..
Old July 9, 2017, 03:43 PM   #23
zeke

Lee's 255 lrnfp has a nice wide meplat, and should work fine. Then you can flip the coin and load em for 45 acp.
Old July 9, 2017, 04:10 PM   #24
Unclenick
Staff

Sixgunnin,

Nickel is harder than brass and flakes off easily if bent hard, as forming into rifling would do. You could then get nickel flakes embedded in the forcing cone and bore, as happens to reloading dies. And there is another problem. Nickel-on-nickel (nickel-plated bullets and cases combined) will have a higher coefficient of friction than copper on nickel does, so you might shave nickel during bullet seating and your load pressures may go up.

As to plating and the rest, I would avoid that because of the potential for galvanic corrosion bonding. Back in the 1920's, Townsend Whelen thought it would be a good idea to tin plate bullets to reduce copper fouling. It did, but apparently he did all his testing with freshly loaded rounds. When they ran that combination for National Match ammunition, by the time it got to Camp Perry a few months later, it had bonded severely and to the extent some case necks broke off in firing and some bullets were recovered from the pit berms with their necks still attached and engraved by rifling. The pressure must have challenged proof loads pretty well. Needless to say, accuracy would not have been great with that kind of irregular round.

Tin may be a special worst case, but I would hesitate to plate anything on bullets without going through some systematic pressure testing, repeated as the loads age to watch for signs of trouble. Winchester uses something, but I don't know what it is. Maybe they would tell you if you ask. The do make a .45 Colt load with this bullet type. Just don't confuse their handgun Silver Tip bullets with the Ballistic Silver Tip Combined Technology designs they have with Nosler. Those are more the color of a moly-coated bullet, though they are Lubalox, instead.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle