The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2017, 01:54 PM   #1
roashooter

Reloading Pedestal..

In past postings others have asked for input for a reloading bench. We were doing some reloading this morning, and thought I would show you a different setup.
Back in the early years, apt living, I could not keep a space for reloading, so a trip to a local welding shop created this. A reloading pedestal. Which can be moved into a closet when not in use...set beside the kitchen table for use. It can be used from both sides, I resize/deprime, wife flares, I reprime with a hand primer, wife does the powder drop/measure, I seat and crimp...
Now we have a spare bedroom, that is my so called "cave" and the reloading set up stays out. We can crank out a hundred rounds quickly and she measures on the scale each and every round. IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG
Old June 27, 2017, 02:34 PM   #2
FITASC

I use the riser from Inline Fabrication - they make a variety for a lot of presses - even progressives. My RCBS stays mounted on it, and all of that is mounted on a baking sheet (1/2 size) which I can clamp to a table or small machine stand. Very compact and easily put away.

https://inlinefabrication.com/

I also hear nothing but great reviews about their press replacement handles
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 27, 2017, 03:06 PM   #3
hdwhit

Quote:
roashooter wrote:
...so a trip to a local welding shop created this.
I think that's a very clever way to deal with the space issue.

Quote:
I resize/deprime, wife flares, I reprime with a hand primer, wife does the powder drop/measure, I seat and crimp...
Lucky man to have a wife that shares your passions.
Old June 27, 2017, 03:12 PM   #4
RC20

I like it!

I can see that as a possible way to deal with setting up a second press.

Its not that I don't have the space, its either in the wrong location or interferes with a multi use bench.

Shades of my days in reloading in my very basic travel trailer.

It was maybe 10 feet long, two burner stove and tiny sink up front, two (SMALL) closets and a bed across the back. 3 years that was home for summer construction.

I turned the one closet into the reloading bench, I was only loading 41 magnum so it worked (more caliber, more storage issues with more brass)

Maybe 2 feet wise by 2 feet deep.

You can stuff yourself into small spaces, takes a lot more storing and unstorring stuff.
Old June 27, 2017, 06:17 PM   #5
flashhole

You can make a decorative 4x4 bolted to an upright in the wall. The 4x4 can have a steel plate on the top with the hole pattern for the press. When the press is not in use you can put a potted plant on the stand or a coaster to set a cold beer on.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 27, 2017, 08:28 PM   #6
turtlehead

Keeps my table free for cleaning rifles and other projects.

stand.jpg

Excuse the poor quality phone pic.
Old June 28, 2017, 01:59 PM   #7
jpx2rk

I use a FA portable loading bench for my 204 & 223 ammo. Very stable, easy to move around the small 10x12' room when needed, have 2 Lee single stage presses mounted on it.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:48 PM   #8
PA-Joe

I found the FA works great and you can mount two presses and a powder drop on them.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:54 PM   #9
flashhole

Nice stand turtlehead

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 29, 2017, 04:43 PM   #10
TailGator

I have limited space - just a corner of one room. I only reload pistol rounds, with a LCT. I bought a tool stand from Harbor Freight, and made a top of layered plywood, cut to a size that allowed me to mount the LCT astride one of the top horizontal supports. It is pretty darn solid, but a little light.
Old June 29, 2017, 06:06 PM   #11
FITASC

TG - check out the press risers I mentioned above. With your press mounted on one of those, the weight is evenly distributed over a large area so there is no major stress on any one piece of your stand. I also use a stand like that - my press riser is mounted on a sheet of plywood that I can easily clamp to the surface.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa