The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 5, 2016, 11:07 PM   #1
brotherg

Cappers

I bought a straight inline capper. CVA for number 11 caps. I have a Remington so the big ones are not supposed to work. The cylinder is very different from my Colt. Any who, it was only seven bucks so I figured very little risk. It holds 15!

I loaded it up and it began to dawn on me that it was at least as hard to load the darn thing as it was to cap my guns by hand. 12 into 15 is 2 something so at the range I was going to be loading it every other cycle. Strike one.

In use it is at least as difficult to get the caps on with the capper, maybe more so. Strike two.

Then, when I push the little plunger, often, not always, two caps shot out into oblivion. Strike three, out.

I may have loaded one cylinder with it, laid it down and shot another 60 or so shots by hand.

Am I doing it wrong? Is it just easier to put the caps on by hand?
Old March 5, 2016, 11:11 PM   #2
Hawg

Most people that use a capper for Remingtons open up the area around the nipples so a capper will work. Some cappers can be modified to work and some can't. I don't use one so don't know which is which.
Old March 5, 2016, 11:43 PM   #3
Model12Win

I am not a fan of cappers.

I had a Ted Cash snail capper (sounds like a small gun for hunting escargot, doesn't it?) and was utterly not impressed.

Held something like 100 caps, which was nice, but it was tricky to load because you have to be sure all the caps are facing the right way when you close up the capper. In use, I found the mechanism for releasing a cap very finicky, and despite my best efforts, would often drop caps on the ground with it. I have found just placing the caps on with my fingers and seating them with a dowel rod works perfectly fine, is actually faster, and is much simpler.

Chalk me up as one who doesn't "get" cappers.
Old March 6, 2016, 03:11 AM   #4
Branko

The loading of the capper gets easier with time; have the metal 'loop' hold the knob thingy, hold it slightly angled and most of the caps go in ok.

I bought a capper for my Remington clones but it just didn't work at all, however. I tried modifying it but it would still generally not work reliably and would sometimes drop a cap to the ground after modification. Don't feel like marring the revolvers so it goes in easy. I just cap by hand like I used to.

I'm thinking of making one.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Pahoo

One size may not fit all ???

Correct me if I am wrong but sounds like you are working with the #10 caps and your existing capper is set for the #11's. Look at the Ted Cash cappers and the snail is more applicable to the C&B's. You can also squeeze the fingers or lips, on your in-line to get a better grasp, on the caps but there is still a chance that they will roll over in the capper channel. At first, it's hard to see a difference in size until you fill and use a capper. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 6, 2016, 11:01 AM   #6
wogpotter

I just modified the brass end of my capper slightly with a file. It took about 4 minutes & now it works very well on my 1858.
There is a technique also.
You push forward to seat the cap, but pull sideways to remove the capper. If you twist the capper to remove it the caps frequently have problems.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 6, 2016, 11:56 AM   #7
Fingers McGee

The use of any capper takes practice. Don't give up after one afternoon at the range.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 6, 2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Model12Win

But tell me, what are the benefits of using a capper?
Old March 6, 2016, 05:31 PM   #9
brotherg

Sounds like I am not alone. Also I will work with it a little. I did not put it down in frustration just sat it down and kind of forgot about it. Kinda like the gloves I pull out the bag, lay on the table, shoot all day bare handed and then pick up with my dirty hands to put back in the bag.

I guess there would be no harm in sitting in front of the idiot box and cap empty cylinders. I am sure the wife won't mind if a cap or two goes off.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I did put #11s in it, I borrowed one once, filled it with #10 and they slid out the front, or did not fit or something, have not tried it with mine. I have only shot Remington's, the only ones I have seen on any shelf.
Old March 6, 2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
For me, none.
Old March 6, 2016, 08:09 PM   #11
Model12Win

Quote:
For me, none.
+1
Old March 6, 2016, 10:02 PM   #12
brotherg

For me it was the dream of a quicker, easier way to cap my nipples, so far not impressed. My eyes are failing close up, my fingers are fat, I need to get more lead down range. I think I will take a chair to the range and enjoy myself. Capper or no.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:53 PM   #13
44 Dave

Cappers are a benefit loading in the field or in cold "gloves needed" weather.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:58 PM   #14
Model12Win

I can see a point there, but for normal range use? I'LL PASS!!
Old March 6, 2016, 11:36 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

I've used snail cappers in SASS competition for over 15 years. Used them while rendezvousing before that. Loading by hand during a match is not very fast or convenient.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 7, 2016, 03:34 AM   #16
swathdiver

The Ted Cash Universal Straight Line Capper will work just fine out of the box with your Remington. The new cappers have been modified to feed both #10 and #11 Remington Caps reliably. I have some older ones where about 1/2 of the #10s in a tin will fit. The rest go into the snail capper for the Colts. The Ted Cash Snail Capper was never intended to be used on the Remington, it was designed for the Colts.

1 USL Capper is not enough, over time we've put more than eight to use at a shoot, plenty to feed the sixguns for a while unless my girls are really trigger happy that day, then I simply reload them while they shoot.

Ideally, you'll want 3 or 4 per gun and just one snail capper if you're shooting a Colt type.

As for me and my house, we find the cappers more useful than using our fingers or knocking over a tin onto the ground and losing $8 of caps in the dirt and grass.
Old March 7, 2016, 03:45 AM   #17
drobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
I've used snail cappers in SASS competition for over 15 years. Used them while rendezvousing before that. Loading by hand during a match is not very fast or convenient.
Is the snail capper you use specific to one size of C&B revolver caps? Can you use #10's or #11's in the same capper?

I'm looking to get a Snail Capper but some of the descriptions I see are very vague.
Old March 7, 2016, 01:43 PM   #18
Pahoo

They are handy !!!

Quote:
A shooting buddy of mine has arthritis and there are times he has to use a capper. During our live-fire class sessions, we bring the students up to the line and we cap for them. Because we are not shooting off a bench, It's easier, faster and we don't have to hold the tin, in hand and pick out the caps. The "Keeper of the Capper" is on the line and has total control of the capper......

Be Safe !!!
Old March 7, 2016, 04:44 PM   #19
wogpotter

Because its way, way easier to carry caps on a woods walk in a capper than loose in my belt pouch all mixed in with this other stuff

I have 2, a short one for the Hawken which takes # 10 caps, & a longer one for the 1858 Remington that takes # 11 ones. I cut a custom leather insert for the belt pouch so they slide in the flat back pocket, protected, but easily available.

(Image (c) wogpotter 2011)

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; March 8, 2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old March 7, 2016, 04:55 PM   #20
maillemaker

I find them very finicky, also. Hard to load them up and it's hard to get them to dispense without dropping caps.

Quote:
The main benefit is a thumb that doesn't look like this:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...ic,1620.0.html

Steve
Old March 7, 2016, 05:17 PM   #21
Hawg

Quote:
The main benefit is a thumb that doesn't look like this:
I don't care what he said a cap didn't do that. You can't make a cap explode from pressure(and I have tried) and even if you could for a cap to do that kind of damage you'd blow the hammer back to full cock or shear it off with every shot fired. It looks to me like he got it in front of a cylinder with smokeless powder and the cylinder flash got him and he doesn't want to admit it. And besides that who puts caps on with the outside of their thumb?

Last edited by Hawg; March 7, 2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old March 7, 2016, 05:27 PM   #22
roashooter

using a capper...be it a straight line..or a snail....takes a bit of practice....once you get the technique...it goes much much quicker.....and sometimes the capper will need a little tweaking to properly retain the caps....had a friend give me a Ted Cash snail....that would spit out multiples.....a few moments with a needle nose pliers...works perfectly now....
Old March 7, 2016, 05:46 PM   #23
Branko

I find the idea of a cap detonating under finger pressure to be doubtful. A weak hammer strike is much weaker then my thumb pressure when seating and it won't set them off. You need a good whack to do it.

Then again, I'll probably make some sort of capper. I bought a Pedersoli Remington-style capper which don't work with Remington clones, go figure.
Old March 7, 2016, 06:29 PM   #24
deerslayer303

I don't really get warm and fuzzy over a capper either, but I do have them for when I want to carry the pistol in the woods. But for range time its fingers and a dowl rod. Put your caps in a bigger container that is not so easy to tip over.

Quote:
Because its way, way easier to carry caps on a woods walk in a capper than loose in my belt pouch all mixed in with this other stuff
Not if you put a Musket Cap nipple on that boom stick. Both my Rifles use musket caps now, simply because I don't want to use a capper, and a pouch sewed inside a possibles bag holds the musket caps and they are easy to grab and put on.
Old March 7, 2016, 11:39 PM   #25
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by drobs
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
Is the snail capper you use specific to one size of C&B revolver caps? Can you use #10's or #11's in the same capper?

I'm looking to get a Snail Capper but some of the descriptions I see are very vague.
I use #10 Remingtons. I also prefer the nickel Ted Cash cappers over the brass ones.