The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 15, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1
01frida

Ruger LC9 Clip Problem

Just purchased a new LC9 for the wife and off to the range. Second clip she shot the clip released while she was shooting. I told her she was hitting it with her thumb because of the way she held it (she has carried a 38 colt snubby for years). I was wrong.... you can jiggle the clip and it will release. The clip appears to be OK with no denting in the keeper notch. I tried to purchase a different clip from the range but they didn't have one. I am not sure if it is the clip or the keeper / release mech. Thoughts appreciated before I send back to Ruger. Bummer...
Old June 15, 2013, 03:42 PM   #2
tobnpr

Not much there...
Did your field strip it and take a look at how the mag is mating up with the mag latch and spring? Gotta be the mag, or the latch...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 15, 2013, 03:53 PM   #3
g.willikers

Is the magazine release overly easy to depress?
If so, maybe the spring is either weak or even missing.
Old June 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
01frida

yes I did, I even measured the distance of the mag to the keeper latch and it looks good. It will engage but if you jiggle it a little it will release. The keeper looks like it is traveling all the way into the grip compartment so I thought it could have been the clip. Gun shoots great and she is very good with it so I need to figure it out. Appreciate the reply
Old June 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Roughedge

Does a empty magazine do the same thing ? Take the slide off and see if you can see the engagement when you insert the magazine.
Old June 15, 2013, 04:01 PM   #6
01frida

The release button feels OK when depressed and goes back to the correct position.. spring feels right. Also, yes it will do it with an empty clip as well. I thought about putting a little pressure on the keep slot but decided not to as it looks to be inline and ok. Maybe I should send it back to ruger but may try a different clip first.

Last edited by 01frida; June 15, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old June 15, 2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Loronzo

Funny thing but I bought a new magazine for my fiancee's LC9 and the last time we went to the range with the new mag it did the exact same thing, I too thought she was hitting the mag release button. (She never had problems with the original one). I thought it was just a problem with the mag but now after reading this thread I think we will be calling ruger and sending them the pistol and both mags...
Old June 16, 2013, 08:56 AM   #8
01frida

Thanks for sharing. I am sending this one back as well. Looks like they (or we) have a problem. Appreciate all the input