The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 18, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Mausermolt

Ares Armor 80% receivers

Has anyone ever done one of these 80% build projects? looks like the "ultimate" AR build project. Im really interested in doing one. I just want to know how cold the water is before I jump in. Link below to the website

http://aresarmor.com/store/
Old January 18, 2013, 01:10 PM   #2
mikikanazawa

I've been off-line for a while so I don't have much offhand knowledge of your past posts -- but what type of machining equipment do you have access to?

I've seen the 80/20 receivers done in minimally-equipped home shops (e.g., not much more than a drill press, vise and some files), and the finished firearm worked just fine. Rough as cob, but worked fine! But I have also seen small issues that completely frag the project, such as the buffer tube not being concentric and/or axial to the upper receiver, preventing the BCG from cycling. That type of thing is usually discovered only after the guy has like 120 man-hours into it. Losing a $250 lower hurts, but to me, losing the time hurts even more!

If you get an 80% lower that already has the mag well broached, finishing the rest on a milling machine is done with basic techniques. There is some tooling specific to the AR lower, but limited to things like extra-long drills and reamers that are not standard fractional sizes.

I have completed a few of these lowers over the years and I always plan the project through before cutting. The "plan" is basically a listing of the operations and the order they need to be completed in, in order to minimize the number of setups that have to be done. (Each setup is an opportunity to introduce error.) I constantly check my work throughout the machining process to make sure the parts haven't shifted, etc.

Producing the plan, doing the machining, test fits and all work takes me about 20-25 hours, plus one to three hours for metal finish. Most of the work is on the mill, but for the buffer tube hole, I prefer to mount the receiver on the lathe and single-point thread it.

BTW, the Ares lower looks like a pretty standard, happy forging. It should be a fine basis for your project.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Mausermolt

thanks for the reply, what 80% lower do you recommend? i dont have access to and hi-tech CNC machines but i know a few guys that have some really nice machine shops around town. ive seen about 4 different companies that make them, some have the buffer tube...for the lack of the proper term: "hole" already tapped and the retaining pin hole drilled. those would be nice so i dont have to buy the 75$ tap. i would like to buy 2 just to try one with some decent equipment, and one with only a drill press and dremel tool.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:03 PM   #4
mikikanazawa

I don't have a favorite 80/20 lower per se. I've finished forged CNC blanks and they were all high quality materials and process. (E.g., machining didn't uncover any unexpected voids/pockets). If you stick with the "best" makers I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've heard horror stories but have never personally seen a bad quality 80/20.

People say that CAST receivers are to be avoided. I've never seen one in person but it's probably a good rule of thumb.

Last edited by mikikanazawa; January 18, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 12:26 AM   #5
roguejesse

Ares Armor 80% receivers

I would NOT recommend doing business with these people. They take your money, but don't deliver a receiver, nor respond to email nor telephone calls.

I have been waiting for over 5 months on an order placed in January of 2013.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Roughedge

Call uncle Ted and see if he can speed them up.