The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
ryanscott

hunting question

If you are hunting somewhere like public land or somewhere in which other hunters that you do not know are hunting also and someone close to you shoots a deer. the deer then runs by you...you shoot it thinking he missed. you drop the deer. who legally gets the deer saying that his shot was fatal and would have killed the deer also.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:29 PM   #2
ryanscott

oops im sorry i didnt realize i was still in the shotguns section.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Pahoo

WOW,
This is a tough one and the situation could get out of hand. This has only happened to me once and as I was cleaning the deer, a guy walked up and asked if I was sure I had shot it as it was one he shot and was tracking. I thn proceeded to do a Missoury version of CSI and he went on his way. I really felt paranoid about this and told myself that if it happened again, I would give in. Just not worth the conflict.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 10, 2009, 04:14 PM   #4
ryanscott

haha very true and i would prolly do the same
Old December 10, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Scubasimmons

Legally, whoever tags the deer gets the deer, but I could see where things could get out of hand (I've heard several stories).
Old December 10, 2009, 05:39 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I had this happen last year on a recently made three legged deer I dropped with aneck shot. I was looking for a big fat doe to eat and it was a scrawny buck so I passed it up. My understanding is that, in Ohio, who ever last shots the standing deer gets it.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:36 PM   #7
nutty ned

Had an issue like that over a dove, let him have the dove.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:40 PM   #8
olddrum1

I would contact your local conservation commision and ask them. Thats why they make the big bucks.
Old December 22, 2009, 11:36 PM   #9
12dinomag

well

if you get to the deer and it has 2 shots through it . i would probably say that it would be the other hunters. due to deers get shot and sometimes run!!!
Old December 22, 2009, 11:46 PM   #10
bcarver

right

If you know they shot it and you know you killed it I would offer "meat or horns?" If you killed a obviously wounded weakened deer I would give it all or horns and half if I needed meat. (always give the better half of meat).
Old December 23, 2009, 09:49 AM   #11
i50sx

Exact scenario happened to a friend on a hunt club with shotguns...

He was the 1st shooter...seems club rules wer whoever dropped it keeps it

2nd guy took home the deer
Old December 25, 2009, 02:48 AM   #12
bamaranger

happened to me

I "lost" my first deer( age 14) to this very situation in a crowded north eastern state w/ to many hunters and not enough space!!! I was pretty bummed out. Despite that apparent mortality of the hit, the "rule" of the woods was the guy who put it down got the deer. Darn guy should have given that deer to a kid (me) though!

I decided long ago that I did not want a deer that somebody else had put a hole in, though one could make a plausible argument about busted legs and stopping a cripple that would otherwise escape to rot. I'd give up such a deer in a heartbeat if a guy showed up trailing it.

Fortunately, I changed venues long ago and have not faced the situation again.
Old December 25, 2009, 04:45 AM   #13
troy_mclure

one of the areas we drove for deer this happened quite frequently. hunters spaced on edge of field 25yd apart. deer busts out of the woods and runs across fields of fire. one i remember was shot 3 times, luckily 3 chest shots, so little meat was lost.
we always shared meat anyways.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."