The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2017, 05:41 PM   #1
TheLastGoodFight

Hornady 45-70 Brass

I was experimenting with cast bullet loads for my Marlin CB 45-70 when I ran out of brass. In desperation I turned to some once fired Hornady brass to temporarily fill the void until I could resupply. Alas, my RCBS dies will not accommodate these casings, leaving no flare and no crimp. It appears this particular casing is a tad shorter than Winchester and Remington brass, and no amount of die adjustment seems to offer a solution.
The casings originally held a 325gr Jacketed "Red Tip" as they call it, which I assume are .458, there being no indication on the box. I am using cast 300gr RNFP .459 from Missouri Bullet company and am experiencing a slight stretch in the neck, I assume due to the larger bullet.
I'd like to know if any of you handloaders have attempted to reload Hornady's casings, and if so, what trouble/solutions have you experienced? Given my limited experience level, the solution could be completely simple and obvious. Unfortunately, for guys like me, a good slap in the face is periodically necessary before I get the point. Thanks it advance.
Old August 7, 2017, 07:30 PM   #2
mehavey

Hornady cases are (in fact) considerably shorter than SAAMI specs -- deliberately so -- to accommodate the long-nose "leverevolution" bullets.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=380760

Are you really not able to adjust the expander and seater dies to meet that 0.060" shorter case?
Old August 7, 2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Stats Shooter

Here is a whole thread on this topic.
Old August 7, 2017, 07:42 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

There are dies available to load these shorter cases. However, it's simply not worth it to buy a set of dies to use these odd ball cases unless they are all you intend on using in the future.
Old August 7, 2017, 10:15 PM   #5
condor bravo

When it became time to acquire .45-70 dies, the only ones I could find were Redding. Lucky I guess since they are perfect with the Hornady brass and used on a Dillon 550. What RCBS die or dies cannot adjust to the shorter case? RCBS would have been my first choice if it had been available.
Old August 7, 2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Stats Shooter

I am just getting into 45-70 guns. Have a H&R Handi and a brand new 1895 GBL.

I specifically bought Federal Ammo to plink around and familiarize myself with the gun because I didn't want to screw around with non-standard brass when I reload it. And I use RCBS dies and intend to use Speer or cast bullets so standard brass is the ticket