The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2017, 07:29 PM   #1
DesertRatR

Looking for a seater that straightens a cockeyed bullet

Is there a seater that will straighten a slightly tilted bullet? I am using my RCBS crimp/seater for seating only. The stem cup has a flat in the center (probably so it can handle any shaped bullet). I am also using a Lyman M die (that helps a lot). I am loading all LRN (200 or 230 gr). They are all from Bear Creek and are moly coated. It seems like there might be a slight variation in coating thickness, as some bullets go very nicely into the expanded brass while others need a bit of a shove. That is where the slight tilt comes in, and sometimes I may not see it. So a little help from the seater would be nice, if there is such a thing.
Old July 5, 2017, 09:22 PM   #2
datawoman

tilted bullets

I used a taper crimp die to straighten out tilted bullets. It is different from a roll crimp die. This might help you.
Old July 5, 2017, 11:24 PM   #3
Hammerhead

Take a look a Midway, they sell stems for RCBS dies.
Old July 5, 2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Carriertxv

Check out Hornady seating dies. They have a sleeve that works well.
Old July 6, 2017, 12:11 AM   #5
condor bravo

While the M die should pretty much take care of alignment providing you are placing the bullet reasonably straight on the case, your seating stem seems primarily for swc's. Per post #3 see if you can get a round nose stem from Midway. I've used plenty of moly coated rifle bullets of different calibers from Bear Creek and have never come across a difference in the coating thickness that would contribute to a difference in seating pressure. I always use the M die. The appropriate seating stem should help.

Last edited by condor bravo; July 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old July 7, 2017, 10:12 AM   #6
Chainsaw.

Email RCBS, they point you to just the right seater stem, theu gave me link staight to the one I was looking for.

Heck I did this with redding and they sent me TWO stems for free.
Old July 9, 2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Nathan

I have no issue with this....2 reasons, I think.

1) I use only Hornady dies. The sleeve visibly pre-aligns crooked bullets.

2) I use enough flare that bullets sit fairly aligned just from me placing them in the case.

I had this issue with RCBS before.
Old July 9, 2017, 11:22 AM   #8
Don Fischer

I've always though that once the bullet get's up in the die some distance, the die straighten's the bullet. I hold the bullet in one hand and run the die up and unless it's a boat tail bullet it always seem's to tilt to some degree but always seem's to come out straight. Cancel that for handguns though. I simply make sure I get enough flare on the mouth to hold the bullet straight!
Old July 10, 2017, 09:38 AM   #9
RC20

Pistol? Flat based? Caliber?
Old July 10, 2017, 12:06 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Any tilting of the bullet in the flare will be fixed upon seating. Doesn't hurt anything anyway.
"...has a flat in the center..." That's for bullets like SWC's. Doesn't make any difference if you use it for RN's though. Might leave an unsightly ring on the bullet, but that doesn't hurt anything. RCBS will very likely just send you an RN seating plug with a phone call.
No die is going to fix a slight variation in coating thickness.
"...different from a roll crimp..." No roll crimping what is assumed to be a .45 ACP. Ever.
Old July 10, 2017, 01:12 PM   #11
BigJimP

The Dillon dies ...will correct this also...( its about the shape of the insert, or seating stem, inside the seating die ) ...on the Dillon dies, there is one seating stem that can be reversed giving you both a rounded and flat nose seating stem.
Old July 11, 2017, 07:37 PM   #12
gwpercle

With softer cast bullets, if it goes in crooked , lead will be shaved and it will probably stay crooked .

Cast , and to some extent plated, bullets do not straighten themselves out very well.

Long jacketed rifle bullets will self correct themselves to some extent with a little guidance into the die. Boat tails are the easiest to seat.

What bullet and round are asking about ...details matter in receiving correct answers .

Gary