The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 18, 2015, 07:09 PM   #51
Slimjim9

Yup, my range has a monthly IDPA (I think) match I'd love to get to some time. Also a well respected coach for the one-on-one stuff. Just a matter of finding/making time for it which is really not easy at the moment.
Old November 19, 2015, 10:03 AM   #52
jmorris

Quote:
As a person who has spent a lot of time both racing cars and shooting. I can tell you beyond doubt that shooters are the friendliest, most helpful competitors you will ever meet. Racers...uh... Not so much.
This is exactly what I thought when I started shooting competitively. Top shooters would come to you with advice , sometimes even more than you wanted in one sitting. Racers are a more secretive bunch.
Old November 19, 2015, 12:36 PM   #53
Jim243

Each one of us are different, different chromosomes from our parents means that the eyesight, length of limbs, size of hands and even placement of thumb to fingers is different from one person to another.

You will not be able to duplicate exactly the shooting style of the person standing next to you let alone your instructor. It is not physically possible, nature does not work that way. Developing your own style, however is possible, but observation and practice is needed. Taking a class in shooting, may give you some insight into methods that work for others (very few) and I am not sure what is bad habits, except wrapping your trigger finger as far as it will go around the trigger. (that was mine, kept pulling my shots to the left and down). But for some that method worked best for them.

Your physical abilities will determine what works best for you and no amount of instruction on what is the perfect way of doing it will ever help, unless you take that instruction with a grain of salt and pick out what works for you and what does not. Again, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice and more practice.

Back in 1987 I went from a novice archer to a champion archer in one year, but I can tell you it took enough shafts down range to build a house with, 3 nights a week at 5 hours per session 250 arrows per session for 52 weeks.

You practice with your pistol like that and we will see you getting the first place trophy in what ever sport of shooting you take up.

Good luck and keep practicing.
Jim
Old November 19, 2015, 01:16 PM   #54
str8tshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin View Post
Nope, it's a matter of skill not the gun.

Folks often fall into the trap of believing that having the right hardware can make up for training and practice. But at the end of the day, there's no good substitute for good training and good practice.

Software transcends hardware.

You are spot on. I worked hard to get my recoil management to where it is today. Grip and arm position were the keys to recoil management for me. I have shown my 11 year old the same techniques and allowed him to see what works for him. We both shoot IDPA, and he has better control than many of the older shooters.
It is the Indian, not the arrow. Gear only helps when you outrun your stock gear.
Old November 19, 2015, 01:48 PM   #55
jmorris

Quote:
Gear only helps when you outrun your stock gear.
I disagree there are a bunch of pistol ammunition combinations that simply would not be as easy to control as the video I posted in #28, reguardless of who shot it.
Old November 19, 2015, 05:58 PM   #56
Slimjim9

Just curious, what ammo were you using in your full auto shoot?
Old November 19, 2015, 09:09 PM   #57
jmorris

147 9mm "minor" loads, about 135 PF.
Old November 20, 2015, 08:45 AM   #58
hbhobby

I agree that training is by FAR most important but having shot IPSC more than my fingers will let me count. I can definitely tell you I do much better with "my" race gun / ammo combo than I do with a stock gun and factory ammo
Like was said earlier. There is a reason they shoot race guns.